I'm hearing but I have a deaf friend who wants to learn...

Music_Life

Reaction score
So, I'm hearing, and I love music, music is my absolute life and I have a friend at church who's deaf and she's a dancer, so I know she understands vibrations and everything, and just yesterday she mentioned to me she wants to learn guitar or drums. I can't play drums personally but I've been playing guitar for about two years. She has a CI but I'm not sure how great her hearing is with it, if I were to start teaching her a little bit, how would I go about teaching someone guitar, let along someone deaf cause I've never done that. It'd be great to get some help, thanks!

Emmy

Well I'm a deaf percussionist as a freshman in high school, and I'm in the marching band in the front ensamble with hearing aid and my CI. I use them alot. But for me as a deaf person, I have to work twice as hard than the others because I have to listen to the music very carefully to make sure i have the right music notes to play on. And most of the time people would come up to me and help me out. And I'm a very good memorizer when it comes to learning and memorizing music in the marching band. And when another person is helping me with the notes and how to play it; i look at the notes and the person's hand and i memorize it pretty good. The point is; you would want to teach her loud and clear, slowly to let her see what you're doing, and help her if she gets stuck. I get plenty of help. Most of the time i would want to try and do it myself. If she wants to do that, let her, if she needs help; ask her if she needs help on the music. Hope that helps!! =D

Thanks! Thats pretty cool that you're in the marching band, I'm in marching band too, I play clarinet for band and then violin, guitar, and piano outside of band.
I'm not really sure if I'll have time to teach her if she mentions it again, I'm going to try though, we just started hanging out about a month ago and she gave me my sign name, so I'm obviously somewhat important to her :D

Thanks! Thats pretty cool that you're in the marching band, I'm in marching band too, I play clarinet for band and then violin, guitar, and piano outside of band.
I'm not really sure if I'll have time to teach her if she mentions it again, I'm going to try though, we just started hanging out about a month ago and she gave me my sign name, so I'm obviously somewhat important to her :D

lol, No problem. Actually I've been trying to come up with sign names for the front ensamble or; aka: the pit, The sign name for everyone?? It's kind of an tradition for every deaf person that meets a new person and becomes friends with them :cool2:. I play viberaphone in the pit. I finished my 3 week band camp..finally. I had a week of miami univeristy band camp in july (near the end of july) then we had the weekend off, then we had to go back to band camp at our high school, then we do the week band camp again at the high school, and last week we had the week off, and this week we finished because we have school next week on wednesday. But we have band rehersals from 3:15-5:30 from monday,tues. but after school we have 6:00-8:30pm from now on i think. So today was our last day of band camp but we still have these crazy rehersals on the monday-tuesday thing. But it'll become normal after the first day of school. So hopefully i'll get all this crap balanced out since i'm a rookie and all that...lol oh well.

We had 8-5 practice for two weeks and then this coming week we have just random two-three hour practices.
Well, I guess if you just wanted to make a sign name for the whole pit you could just sign like... pit, like... a hole, haha. I take ASL at school and you get a sign name in the class, but I always thought it wasn't good unless you got it from a deaf person so the other day when I was hanging out with my friend, Rebekah I told her I didn't have a sign name yet so she gave me one, so I can go to school and show them.

We had 8-5 practice for two weeks and then this coming week we have just random two-three hour practices.
Well, I guess if you just wanted to make a sign name for the whole pit you could just sign like... pit, like... a hole, haha. I take ASL at school and you get a sign name in the class, but I always thought it wasn't good unless you got it from a deaf person so the other day when I was hanging out with my friend, Rebekah I told her I didn't have a sign name yet so she gave me one, so I can go to school and show them.

thats cool, Yeah our high school has ASL class. But I'm not taking that because I already know ASL and it'd be an easy A for me :giggle: . My interpreter and I usually comes up with a sign name for my teachers. Last year I had a study hall teacher. And We gave him the sign name with a H and made it signed like hammer. Like you put your hand into a sign A and you're pretending you're hamming the nail on a wood board. But we did it with a H. And we thought it was Perfect.

Rebekah and her friend tried to make a sign name for our youth pastor, and it was crazy with an 'E' for Eron, but then they changed it to pastor with an E. My sign name is music with an 'E' for Emily.

Rebekah and her friend tried to make a sign name for our youth pastor, and it was crazy with an 'E' for Eron, but then they changed it to pastor with an E. My sign name is music with an 'E' for Emily.

lol thats cool. I know alot of people so i try and come up with sign names for them..:roll: :D

learning guitar with a CI

So, I'm hearing, and I love music, music is my absolute life and I have a friend at church who's deaf and she's a dancer, so I know she understands vibrations and everything, and just yesterday she mentioned to me she wants to learn guitar or drums. I can't play drums personally but I've been playing guitar for about two years. She has a CI but I'm not sure how great her hearing is with it, if I were to start teaching her a little bit, how would I go about teaching someone guitar, let along someone deaf cause I've never done that. It'd be great to get some help, thanks!

Emmy

Hi Emmy:

It's great that you want to help her learn guitar!!! Here are some questions for the two of you to think about:

I guess you need to find out how much she can hear on the guitar, and start from there. Does she hear all the strings? Are the lower strings easier to hear than the upper strings?

Does she want to play acoustic/classical guitar, or electric guitar or bass?

She may need a tuner to tune her guitar, and she may want to look into finding ways to directly connect the sound input from the guitar to her CI.

Just my thoughts,
Wendy

Back