I'm hearing and want to get involved in deaf culture

Sumaria

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :wave:

I am Sumeria and I have two deaf siblings. One signs and one wears a cochlear implant. I first want to learn deaf culture through others that live it every day. My only connection to deaf culture is my brother and I'm too embarrassed to use my poor ASL with others, so for now, I want to learn through people on the Internet.

I hope to make some good friends here. :hug:

*Edited my post, it was repetitive.*

Last edited:
:welcome: to AD by the way.

I wouldn't care how poorly you sign, I wouldn't judge you. What's more important is that you're trying, you could always practice your signs and you can learn more new signs. What state do you live in? ;)

My younger sister who's 19, thinks her signing skills are awful, but I tell her all the time that they are not awful, just because she knows just a little, it's not a bad thing. It takes time to know all the signs and it also takes time to practice too.

Your siblings should be your main connection to Deaf culture. Through them you can meet live people in your own community.

But welcome here for the conversation.

:welcome: to AD by the way.

I wouldn't care how poorly you sign, I wouldn't judge you. What's more important is that you're trying, you could always practice your signs and you can learn more new signs. What state do you live in? ;)

My younger sister who's 19, thinks her signing skills are awful, but I tell her all the time that they are not awful, just because she knows just a little, it's not a bad thing. It takes time to know all the signs and it also takes time to practice too.

Your siblings should be your main connection to Deaf culture. Through them you can meet live people in your own community.

But welcome here for the conversation.

You're both right. Oh, I live in Canada. :)

Thank you for the links, Rockdrummer. I did go to them. I didn't really think of using reading sources but you gave me the idea of finding books on deaf culture. :)

:wave: welcome to Alldeaf!
Don't be afraid to sign! everybody must learn and it take time!
It dont matter if your sign is basic, nobody will care! You will find
that people will be delighted to help you!

Welcome!! I'm learning too... ya just gotta practice, practice, practice!

I am in the process of learning ASL and people in the Deaf Community always tell me that my signing is good for the level I am in, but I do not think it is. It all has to do with your confidence. Once you get more comfortable with signing, you will be fine and not think your signing is so called "bad".

Let me know if I can help in anyway!!

theres good and bad parts in it, expect both
thats all i can say

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back