I'm gonna wish i had succeeded in learning asl- getting dentures monday

Dont know what insurance you have but all Ive ever had, free exams and cleanings once a year and no co-pays for anything except extractions and cosmetic work, and max out of pocket $1000 yearly. ( besides any co-pays. ) still thats not an excuse to let your teeth go bad.

Kinda like saying your high risk for a heart attack but youre still gonna gorge yourself with Corn dogs ( a chunk of fat wrapped in fat, deep fried in fat ) makes one wonder.

I listed a few of the innumerable reasons why people who take absolutely marvelous care of their teeth may, nonetheless lose their teeth and need dentures. HIV and cancer, diabetes and liver disease, drug addictions, physical injuries, acidic saliva, dry mouth, osteoporosis: you're passing the blame to the patient when they may not deserve it.

Flossing can injure gums, and thereby actually contribute to gingivitis, a leading cause of tooth loss.

A lot of the super-whitening toothpastes may be contributing to enamel wear, again creaying cavities and ultimately tooth loss. So can improper brushing techniques or toothbrushes which are too stiff.

Dental "insurance" is a maintenance plan. It covers preventive care but only a fraction of the costs of serious dental care. Rates have not gone up since dental insurance was first created, about 1965. Most plans cover up to $1500.00/$2000.00 per year. And there are caps on how much plans will cover per proceedure.

Your plan is actually lowball. $1000.00 per year is a drop in the bucket of what a root canal, and crown will cost. In 1965, $1000.00/year covered a lot of the costs of major dental care. But people don't like going to dentists and refuse to pay large sums for dental insurance. So rates cannot rise, and the insurers instead cover less snd less of what dental care really costs.

Typically, an infected tooth which requires a root canal and a crown will cost $3500.00, total; and your insurance will probably only cover $750.00 or so of that. (REMEMBER: they cap how much they pay per proceedure).

At one time, I had five teeth needing crowns. I could NOT afford to fix those teeth at that price, so I had them extracted. Extractions are like a severe diabetic, with poor circulation, losing toes rather than allowing gangrene yo spread and kill them. Of course, we need toes to walk properly, and loss of toes can cause one to injure oneself by falling. But the gangrene is an immediate threat, and amputation is the best recourse available.

Someone asked about dentures. Here was my advice:

First: be sure.

Be VERY sure.

Once teeth are extracted they are gone. And not everyone can wear dentures tolerably.

If you absolutely hate how you look, if you suffer with tooth pain, if you have frequent or constant infections, if your teeth deteriorate no matter how much you spend fixing them--then dentures are a reasonable option.

If you only have a few teeth to repair, can afford to repair them, and can afford partial plates, or even single -tooth implants for any missing or irreparable teeth, this is a better option.

Real teeth are better. If they don't hurt or destroy your ability to enjoy life fully.

If you must extract all teeth, but you can afford implant-supported dentures, this is optimal. The lower denture, especially, is difficult to stabilise and keep in place.

If you use private insurance and personal funds to pay for dentures, you can opt to get immediate dentures: you literally walk out of the dentist's office wearing temporary dentures. These will serve as a pressure bandage on your extraction sites. Your gums will heal better. They also mean you will never have to appear in public without teeth.

In six to nine months, when your mouth has healed and is not changing any more, you will get permanent dentures, which often allow you a huge variety of choices in terms of tooth shade, shape, and size. You will literally design your own smile, exactly how you want it. Your temporaries will then be a backup spare.

If you rely on a state medical card, most states won't allow you to get immediate dentures. You will do extractions and then have to wait sixty to ninety days to heal.

Even then, you will have to get the dentures adjusted, (relined with either soft or hard dental material, to allow the dentures to fit snugly and comfortably as your gums continue to heal and shrink). On a medical card, you may have to pay for adjustments out-of-pocket.

Wearing dentures is a learning process. There will be discomfort. If you are Oral/Speaking but are also fully Deaf, re-learning to speak will be a real challenge. (But, signing won't be affected).

Dentures will feel like a hockey puck in your mouth.Your face will swell painfully for about a week. You will eat soft or liquefied foods for days or weeks.You may drool for several days. You will inevitably develop mouth sores.

Dentures require special care and attention. Special creams, adhesives, cleaning supplies, etcetera. You will have to keep them away from pets or children. Dogs will DESTROY dentures, as they smell like food to dogs. Kids think they're something to play with.

Come into this with a positive, can-do attitude. You will have regrets and buyer's remorse. You may suffer a bit of depression for a few weeks. Your gums will change constantly for three months, up to a year. Meaning that your dentures will have to be adjusted for comfort and to stop mouth sores.

Inside of a year, you will have probably made the adjustments. You will not notice that you have dentures any more. You will be able to eat a greater variety of foods, with no discomfort, than you could with painful, rotten teeth. Your health will be better. You will love your smile. Your self-esteem will be vastly improved.

There are two great Facebook support groups available: Dentures: Before and After; and Dentures: Young/Old Support. There are other groups but these are the most active and helpful.

There are dozens of YouTube videos on dentures as well.

We don't have dental insurance. We get our medical care from the VA, and they don't include dental services.

Twice a year we go to the technical college dental clinic for check ups and cleanings. If we need fluoride treatments or X-rays we can get those there also.

In the past, when I needed a lot of dental treatments, I went to the dental clinic at the medical university. I still had to pay but it was a good deal less than a regular dentist.

For routine work (fillings, crowns) we go to our local dentist. We get a teeny discount for paying cash.

I have to be careful because I have Sjogren's Syndrome which means very dry mouth and eyes, among other things. Also, with my Parkinson's Disease, dental care gets more difficult. Then, there's the receding gums that I inherited. :(

So far (age 65), no tooth loss but it could happen. I dread the thought of that expense.

I listed a few of the innumerable reasons why people who take absolutely marvelous care of their teeth may, nonetheless lose their teeth and need dentures. HIV and cancer, diabetes and liver disease, drug addictions, physical injuries, acidic saliva, dry mouth, osteoporosis: you're passing the blame to the patient when they may not deserve it.

Flossing can injure gums, and thereby actually contribute to gingivitis, a leading cause of tooth loss.

A lot of the super-whitening toothpastes may be contributing to enamel wear, again creaying cavities and ultimately tooth loss. So can improper brushing techniques or toothbrushes which are too stiff.

Dental "insurance" is a maintenance plan. It covers preventive care but only a fraction of the costs of serious dental care. Rates have not gone up since dental insurance was first created, about 1965. Most plans cover up to $1500.00/$2000.00 per year. And there are caps on how much plans will cover per proceedure.

Your plan is actually lowball. $1000.00 per year is a drop in the bucket of what a root canal, and crown will cost. In 1965, $1000.00/year covered a lot of the costs of major dental care. But people don't like going to dentists and refuse to pay large sums for dental insurance. So rates cannot rise, and the insurers instead cover less snd less of what dental care really costs.

Typically, an infected tooth which requires a root canal and a crown will cost $3500.00, total; and your insurance will probably only cover $750.00 or so of that. (REMEMBER: they cap how much they pay per proceedure).

At one time, I had five teeth needing crowns. I could NOT afford to fix those teeth at that price, so I had them extracted. Extractions are like a severe diabetic, with poor circulation, losing toes rather than allowing gangrene yo spread and kill them. Of course, we need toes to walk properly, and loss of toes can cause one to injure oneself by falling. But the gangrene is an immediate threat, and amputation is the best recourse available.

Passed the blame? Re-read what I wrote.

I got dental coverage under my family due to disabled dependent, but most seniors and people with disabilities who receiving Medicare usually buy own a dental insurance from broker or insurance's websites - $21 to $32 per month in here.

We don't have dental insurance. We get our medical care from the VA, and they don't include dental services.

Twice a year we go to the technical college dental clinic for check ups and cleanings. If we need fluoride treatments or X-rays we can get those there also.

In the past, when I needed a lot of dental treatments, I went to the dental clinic at the medical university. I still had to pay but it was a good deal less than a regular dentist.

For routine work (fillings, crowns) we go to our local dentist. We get a teeny discount for paying cash.

I have to be careful because I have Sjogren's Syndrome which means very dry mouth and eyes, among other things. Also, with my Parkinson's Disease, dental care gets more difficult. Then, there's the receding gums that I inherited. :(

So far (age 65), no tooth loss but it could happen. I dread the thought of that expense.

Yes, dental school at UAB offer a big discount (50% cheaper than private dental office) on all dental works, but it is hard to find a parking.

Don't worry, we will still adore your toothless grin! ;)

Important - y'all must brush the teeth 2 times a day, also floss everyday and rinse with mouthwash.

If not possible, so just brush the teeth before bedtime - absolutely must.

80+ is what I would consider older.

I'm 46. And feel young!

I still have all my teeth too, minus wisdoms which were extracted when I was a teenager.

Haven't lost a single other thing. Only other thing has been breaking a leg or so.

One thing that can definitely take place despite excellent dental care: idiopathic gum recession. Gum tissue and bone atrophy or wear down - for unknown reasons. It can lead to tooth loss.

Some people receive a "gum graft," which is exactly what it sounds like. A surgeon will cut a strip of skin from one part of the mouth and cover the naked roots of the teeth.

One thing that can definitely take place despite excellent dental care: idiopathic gum recession. Gum tissue and bone atrophy or wear down - for unknown reasons. It can lead to tooth loss.

Some people receive a "gum graft," which is exactly what it sounds like. A surgeon will cut a strip of skin from one part of the mouth and cover the naked roots of the teeth.
I've had the gum grafts--not fun. The dentist took the tissue from my palate for the grafts. That means, the palate area AND the gums have to both heal.

Eventually, the gums recede again. :(

I've had the gum grafts--not fun. The dentist took the tissue from my palate for the grafts. That means, the palate area AND the gums have to both heal.

Eventually, the gums recede again. :(

That's disappointing to hear. I'm only 38 and already have some recession. I figured the grafts would be a permanent solution if I ever decided to go under the knife. The odd thing is that neither of my parents, nor my sister, seem to be affected. My teeth are a little larger than average, and I've noticed that people with big teeth tend to be affected more often.

Sorry it was so painful! You're not the first person I've heard that from.

That's disappointing to hear. I'm only 38 and already have some recession. I figured the grafts would be a permanent solution if I ever decided to go under the knife. The odd thing is that neither of my parents, nor my sister, seem to be affected. My teeth are a little larger than average, and I've noticed that people with big teeth tend to be affected more often.

Oh crap, I'm 29 years old and no idea about my gums, but my dentist told me that my gums are healthy.

I got cavity before, last time was in 2014. I noticed that I have 6 fillings in 20s, compare to only 1 filling during teen year (caused by 2 years of brace - 2001 to 2003).

My daughter, age 43, has inherited the same problem. She's had gum work done, too.

Oh crap, I'm 29 years old and no idea about my gums, but my dentist told me that my gums are healthy.

I got cavity before, last time was in 2014. I noticed that I have 6 fillings in 20s, compare to only 1 filling during teen year (caused by 2 years of brace - 2001 to 2003).

Keep a watch on it, and buy soft bristled toothbrushes.

I have to use the stiffest tooth brush, seems like the soft ones dont clean mine? Like after eating chips and using a soft brush I still see foods stuck at the gumlines... I dont have that issue with firm toothbrushes.

Question for everyone....
Do you know why the Tooth Brush was invented in Arkansas?

A. Anywhere else it would have been called a Teeth Brush.

I use Sonicare for 5 years now so there isn't such as soft or hard, but I set on sensitive without any issue.

Back