I'm going to college to be an interpreter

Jerid

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jerid. I am 17 years old (18 next month). I am a senior in high school and I am going to college in the fall and will major in ASL. My mom is deaf and that is part of the reason why I love signing and deaf culture. My father is hearing and was also an interpreter when he was younger. He and my mom met at SWCID in Big Spring, TX. My dad wants me to go there but UALR in Little Rock, AR also has a good program and is closer to where I live. I would love to hear questions/comments from you all :)

Wirelessly posted

Welcome to AD. Congrats on your career choice. Wish you the best in college.

It seems like you're good at ASL. I hope you'll be able to skip ASL 1 and ASL 2 classes in college.

Hey Jerid! Well I can say I have friends who went to UALR and loved it. But not majoring in ASL. I can say it is pretty:) but sadly my friends who went are now in their late 20s and early thirties not recently but I can tell you the drawback is it is a smaller town but the people are great.

Research the programs, and also if you can, talk to alumni from the universities from the ASL programs. And yes I would look at the school size and the organizations and activities they have to make sure it is a good fit. I went to a huge school and loved it, and they had a great program in my major. Good luck !!!! :)

Back