Im glad to be deaf!!

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to be deaf because it means that when I use a public restroom,
I don't have to hear other people doing their business!
----------------
My five year old deaf daughter would probably say "I'm glad I'm deaf
because I can close my eyes and not hear or see my mom tell me things I
don't want to do!!!!!
-----------------
I'm not deaf, but my 3 1/2 year old son is. I think he would say that
it's great not to have to listen to my mommy nag at me all day! I feel
my hearing disability has enabled me to become a good listener.
----------------
I am glad I am hard of hearing so I do not have to hear the noise
in the New York City subways.
--------------
I am glad I'm deaf cause when my kids get the whinies in the car I can
use my volume control and not listen to it!
----------------
I am glad I'm deaf because my husband's snoring does not bother me.
-----------------
I am glad I'm deaf because the train going thru t own does not wake m
up in the night. (from your guide: And I'm glad I'm deaf because I can
sleep through thunderstorms!)
--------------
I am glad I'm deaf so I can excuse myself on the phone to telemarketers
who talk a mile a minute and I can say "I am deaf and I can't hear you!"
and hang up. (from your guide: Or you get fewer telemarketing calls if
you are deaf - unless you are married to a hearing person) I'm glad I am
deaf so I don't have to overhear other people's mundane conversations!
------------
I am glad i am deaf because the deaf community is so small and everyone
knows everyone almost and we bond very easily not like the hearing
community.
----------
I am glad that i am deaf because at night can't hear my parents doing "it".
I'm not deaf, but my parents are. I'm glad that they are deaf so I can
have friends over and scream and they won't notice
--------------------------------
I also am so glad to be deaf because i can DRIVE : ) I am Glad I am DEAF
I sleep peace at Night
I sleep good in Morning
I sleep well through thunderstorm
So, What is there to complain about being Deaf?

Good list, Kalista. Shows there's an up side to every disadvantage.

I like the one about sleeping in the noisy apartment complex where a busy road separates us from the city airport.

I can also concentrate better when I want to write.

I liked the one about snoring! Man, when my husband
snores, even if I were deaf it would still be a problem
because every thing in the house vibrates!:giggle:

Good list, Kalista. Shows there's an up side to every disadvantage.

I like the one about sleeping in the noisy apartment complex where a busy road separates us from the city airport.

I can also concentrate better when I want to write.

I have selective deafness when I am reading or writing, LOL. Used to get me in trouble when I was a kid....I'd be off in fantasy land reading a book, and my mother would be calling and calling for me. I'd never realize it until she would finally come to get me and stand in front of me...always saying, "Ive been calling you forever! Didn't you hear me?" She always thought I was just ignoring her out of stubborness, but I honestly had no idea she was yelling for me! I still do it when I'm concentrating hard on something...very annoying to people trying to get my attention. :giggle:

Sorry, off topic! Good list Kalista. You had some very interesting things on this list. What a great attitude you have about your deafness!

I am glad to be deaf coz my niece and nephew are so noisy

I am glad to be deaf coz my boss kept blabbing on the phone

I am glad to be deaf so i can focus on my work without any background distraction.

I am glad to be deaf so i don't need to take part in singing at school

Totally agree with this! ;) Glad that I am deaf because I can just ignore my roommate's blabbling and let my hearing brother dealing with him! :giggle:

Last edited:
I am glad to be deaf cuz I have the option of turning my hearing aids off when my 2 year old is wailing and screaming during a temper tantrum. :)

I am glad to be deaf cuz I have the option of turning my hearing aids off when my 2 year old is wailing and screaming during a temper tantrum. :)

Wow! I bet your kids would see you reach up to turn your HAs off
and say, "No, NO, Don't turn em off! I'll be good!":giggle:

I used to say outloud to the air, "Oh my, I've gone deaf! I can't
hear little kids that whine!"

My five year old deaf daughter would probably say "I'm glad I'm deaf
because I can close my eyes and not hear or see my mom tell me things I
don't want to do!!!!!
:giggle: That is how my 2 deaf sons does to me and it drives me nuts, LOL. I recall I did the same thing to my mother when I was a kid too. Mom used to tell me that she couldn't wait until I have kids of my own just so I can have a taste of my own medicine. Sure enough, I've got more than what I bargained for, haha!

I am glad to be deaf because it is who I am and I wouldn't change it for anything else. :)

for example it happened at 5am this morning that i am glad to be deaf that a VERY loud bang noise woke my mom and dad hehe i didn't feel anything i was asleep harder like under the rock ha

Wow! I bet your kids would see you reach up to turn your HAs off
and say, "No, NO, Don't turn em off! I'll be good!":giggle:

I used to say outloud to the air, "Oh my, I've gone deaf! I can't
hear little kids that whine!"

When my daugher, who is 10 now, became old enough to understand that by reaching to my HAs, her tantrums would go up a couple of notches. LOL! Eventually, she realized she wouldnt get a reaction from me so she stopped having fits. My son is still too young to understand but his tantrums havent been too bad lately cuz of us putting him in the time-out chair.

Me, too. I am soooo glad to be deaf because my husband snores. He love loud sounds like music or try to listen to the program on T.V. My husband's side of the family love to make noises, too. I can turn my left hearing aid off and not have to hear anything. Hearing people, please don't panic over the loss of our hearing. We are just happy to be deaf and glad of it. So get use to us. :grouphug:

Me, too. I am soooo glad to be deaf because my husband snores. He love loud sounds like music or try to listen to the program on T.V. My husband's side of the family love to make noises, too. I can turn my left hearing aid off and not have to hear anything. Hearing people, please don't panic over the loss of our hearing. We are just happy to be deaf and glad of it. So get use to us. :grouphug:

My mom is 73 years old and she lives with us and I am taking care of
her now. She went from living alone to a household of 7. I think
sometimes she wishes she were deaf! lol

I am glad to be deaf because its a legitimate exscuse for not doing something - you cant do something you dont like if you didnt hear your boss telling you to do it.

Also it makes for an interesting worship service in a room of 200 + people singing and yet a single word is barely audible. LOL

:giggle::giggle:
You all reminded me of my late hearing husband... He complained that i had more advantages than him....

Every time my husband and I had an arguement.... all I did was turned off my two hearing aids and shut my eyes... this way I refused to listen to him...

Whenever he got upset and walked away from me... I walked behind his back using my voice to either yelll at him or talked to him... he cannot turned off his hearing.. he was not deaf.... i kept talking to him all the way... until he listened to me...

I realized he was right.. i was not fair to him...

Good thread here...

Yes I know there're cons/pros about hearing and deaf but I am glad that I am deaf.

Shel,

I used to do the same thing as a teenager whenever my parents yelled at me. Eventually my mother caught on to what I was doing and would say, "Don't you even THINK about it" every time she saw me put a hand up to my ears. LOL!

I am glad to be deaf because

I am alive, have all my limbs and can see:ty: I had Meningitis and apparently I was blessed with what I do have!

:bowlol: at Skyporkie and Hear Again....That CRACKED me up!!!!

To lillysrayofhope...wow! Very touching and yes, you have a better appreciation than most of us do due to your experience with life and death.

Back