Im gabriel....And im going deaf

gabe2068

Reaction score
Going deaf....

Hello, I found this forum today looking for support.
Ive recently been told that I will go deaf by the time im 19(im 14) if I dont get implants and im not going to get implants for personal reasons and was wondering how yall coped when you "went deaf". Thanks -gabe

Gabe: Having a Cochlear Implant-if suitable for you-will not "stop deafness' as such.
Like you I knew almost 15 years I would become eventually "deaf". Happened December 20, 2006. I had some knowledge of Cochlear Implants back then.
Fast forward: coming up to 7th anniversary of being implanted.

aside: genetic/SN= Profound level of loss over 30 years. A bit different than your situation.
Presumably in the near future you "might need an extended time to use/understand ASL"?

Gabe: good luck/success in your future.

Its just that I dont want implants I dont know why I just refuse to get them. Thanks for the reply!

Its just that I dont want implants I dont know why I just refuse to get them. Thanks for the reply!

And this is a good enough not to have implants , " Its just that I dont want implants " You really do not have say any more than this if people ask you why you don't get implants .
Some people will keep asking you ."WHY" Your answer is fine.

Gabriel: the answer to your query is up to you. Exactly how do YOU plan on dealing with your "deafness" for the rest of your life?
As you have already decided not to "explore whether a Cochlear Implant might be of value to you" thus the other option appears to be "use of ASL" Given that one does interact-speaking/hearing wise- with many persons who don't use ASL will they-write on pad/computer screen every time?

There are consequences to whatever one does-acceptable to you?

Your decision!

As I keyed previously good luck.

He means that you not wanting implants is a good enough reason. You don't have to justify what you want to anyone. "I don't want them because I don't want them" is reason enough because it is your life and your hearing, not theirs.

He means that you not wanting implants is a good enough reason. You don't have to justify what you want to anyone. "I don't want them because I don't want them" is reason enough because it is your life and your hearing, not theirs.

Thanks!

I am a 'she' anyway you are right on by what I meant .

hey Gabriel, same road here in my left but good thing I'm going in next week ;) (hopefully there's good options for me because weird science LOL)

Seven years ago I was told I have 40%(L) and 60%(R) hearing ability. Within the last 2 months I was told I have 30% hearing in each ear. I was told, "Your hearing ability will decrease to zero. We don't know how long this will take."
"Great!" I thought, "Now what..." I also refuse to get an implant.
I'm finding it frustrating in dealing with the personal loss of my hearing as well as the inability for my family to recognize the significance and their refusal to make changes in how they communicate with me.

welcome to Alldeaf

Gabe2068

your choice to wise up to your wise to dont want to cochlear implant. recommand to hearing aid. It is very unsafetly cochlear implant. you want to evaluation.... :) Hope be you day!.

Gabe, What state are you in? Maybe if you're in a state with a good Deaf School, you could spend a semester or year there so you could learn ASL by immersian......that might be fun.....There are also summer programs where you can learn ASL by immerisan....Many kids who Sign also speak, so you wouldn't be lost in a sea of voice off kids who only Sign.....

Gabe: the decisions: on how YOU deal with future "deafness" is still up to YOU. YOU will have to continue to deal with for the rest of your life.

aside: I knew for almost 15 years I would become bilateral DEAF after the right ear "went deaf" in 1991.:wave:. I could still use my Phonal LL6.

As you can surmise-reality is much different than a computer screen. Some thoughts from my "username".

Last edited:
You have to be profound deaf like no hearing at all, none, in order to get CI (Cochlear Implant). You would probably become a candidate for CI. You just learn that you are going to become deaf. If the audiologist or your doctor say that you need to have CI, then you tell them that you don't want CI. If you can handle wearing hearing aid(s), then you can handle this hearing aid(s).

If you are used to hearing, then you will learn how to adapt or adjust to your hearing loss as it will go down slowly or fast. You will have to go on rough and difficult journey in your life as a deaf person. You can attend the ASL class to learn how to sign with Deaf people or in order to get ASL interpreters.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Enjoy reading and posting here. :wave:

Gabe: a footnote for you to "sort out"> How many "voice off" deaf persons using ASL do you know right now?

Also: exactly what are YOU doing "right now" to learn ASL?

A back track-why are YOU discussing with your "friends" the possiblity of becoming Deaf in 5 years from now?
You didn't mention your immediate "family"? Have "they" said anything to you on this possible future "possibility"?

Were you surprised at some of the comments generated to date from your query?

Mm...I don't know who this Dr.Phil is at all but anyway all I am gonna say this is Gabriel choice on what he wants to do, it's not really up to you Phil or whoever you are really. It's up to Gabe it's his life and he can do whatever he wants to do. You are in no part in his life and you don't know what he goes through at all. This is Gabe Life not yours Phil so quit trying talk Gabe into something he might doesn't want to do it's up to him not upto you at all.

The above opinion from- EmmaLouz: go back to Gabe's original query. If all matters are "sorted out" why ask anyone here in AllDeaf.com?
Still stands!

aside: perhaps school is much different today than when I was 14? I don't recall studying "sociology"-culture subsection. I was not at that time DEAF.

I will not be affected whatever he chooses-he will. Still true!

I have noted before" Bilateral DEAF" since December 20, 2006. My hearingloss is Sensorineutral/genetic since the late 50s. Right-a long time ago

Whether Gabe is "suitable" for a Cochlear Implant has to determined by an ENT doctor who does the Operation. As I mentioned before the actual experience of Sunnybrook/Cochlear Implant section/Toronto since 1984-just over 3000 adults examined . Only 1000 were Implanted- of which I was one. 18 didn't benefit from the operation eg this is a low reaction. Info give patients meeting last year.

Last edited:
Back