I'm from Minnesota, you betcha

apatz

Reaction score
Hi my name is Tony I am from south east MN. I have spent a day reading some different topics on this site and some of the threads kinda helped my out already as they dealt with topics I am currently dealing with in my own life so I figured it was worth joining.

A little about me: As a teenager I was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis type 2 eventually they found cists on my auditory nerves, after a few surgeries to attempt to save my hearing swelling from my second one caused me to lose my hearing at the age of 20. I am a college grad now but don’t know much sign language as nobody around me knows it and I have great conversations with family and close friends its usually the people I don’t know who can be hard to follow.

Over the years I have never searched out for other deaf members in my area because I figured it would be harder for me to communicate with them then with people who can hear. Now as I am getting older I figure to go out and see what’s out there and this seemed like a good place to start. I am open to any questions anybody has and hope to meet some new people here online.

Hi THere, My husband's cousin lost hearing from acoustic neuroma also.

I have a friend with NF2. Welcome aboard. I am also quite familiar with your home state. Ever climb Sugarloaf?

Thanks for the warm greetings and yes I have climbed sugar loaf its such a great view of the area

Thanks for the warm greetings and yes I have climbed sugar loaf its such a great view of the area

Yes. I have been there and others near Lake Pepin. Very pretty area!

Yes. I have been there and others near Lake Pepin. Very pretty area!

First, welcome to the Newbie!

SWK, I thought Lake Pepin was in Wisconsin? Or is it right on the border? I need to go look at a map.

First, welcome to the Newbie!

SWK, I thought Lake Pepin was in Wisconsin? Or is it right on the border? I need to go look at a map.

It is between the two states; a bit south of Red Wing, where Mississippi River gets way wide. That is where they invented water skiing.

It is between the two states; a bit south of Red Wing, where Mississippi River gets way wide. That is where they invented water skiing.

Ahh !! No wonder why the roads along the border get all twisty. Lots of cool antique shops along the way, though.

Ahh !! No wonder why the roads along the border get all twisty. Lots of cool antique shops along the way, though.

Yes. I always enjoyed that area, especially in fall. Lots of apple orchards there, and wonderful colors.

Pepin is about a 45 min drive north of Winona on the Wisconsin side of the river, but we are so close to the river I can drive to wisconsin in 3 mins. SWK yes lots of colors here I would also suggest seeing the bald eagle nests along the river between Winona and Wabasha they have made a huge comeback in this area over the last 10 years

Yes. I always enjoyed that area, especially in fall. Lots of apple orchards there, and wonderful colors.

Don't I know it. I thought that whole Lake Pepin area was about as picturesque as you can get. So beautiful. The year I went there was about late September (hence why I was thinking it was Wisconsin, but I also love Redwing, I can't believe I didn't know it was part MN, part WI)

Anyways, apatz, since you are out of school and college, if you are at all interested in being part of the deaf community, you may want to consider a move to Mpls/St. Paul. There are several thousand deaf there (where I am from, myself, so I know), or even Rochester, etc.

Back