I'm Deaf and a smart-ass

KittenEyez05

Reaction score
So I was watching Children of a Lesser God with a friend/ASL student, and I noticed something odd... Has anyone ever noticed that every time Sara is being snarky or a smart-ass she is praised for it? Like the hearing characters are amazed that she has a sense of humor, let alone a sarcastic one. It really amused me. I got the thinking thinking though that when I was in college some of the hearing people in my classes were amazed or perplexed when I could follow and contribute to witty banter. I've always been full of snappy comebacks, my deafness and use of ASL doesn't diminish that in the least. Have you had any experiences like that?

Yeah, I can be a smart-ass. i've noticed people looking a little amazed after that, but I have never connected it to my hearing loss. I'll have to think about that... hmm.

So I was watching Children of a Lesser God with a friend/ASL student, and I noticed something odd... Has anyone ever noticed that every time Sara is being snarky or a smart-ass she is praised for it? Like the hearing characters are amazed that she has a sense of humor, let alone a sarcastic one. It really amused me. I got the thinking thinking though that when I was in college some of the hearing people in my classes were amazed or perplexed when I could follow and contribute to witty banter. I've always been full of snappy comebacks, my deafness and use of ASL doesn't diminish that in the least. Have you had any experiences like that?

Kind of patronizing but.... Yeah :)

I know plenty of people that are smart asses and they're not deaf or hoh.
Being a smart ass has nothing to do with being deaf or hoh.

I don't remember the movie that well, I think the last time I watched it was in 1985! :)

I don't know if the hearing people in your class are familiar enough with D/d/HH people to realize this, but its commonly said that lipreading only helps people figure out about 30% of English words. So many sounds aren't visible and so many other sounds look alike, the result is that is the most lipreading can help with figuring out English speech.

As a result, many D/d/HH people also rely upon knowing the topic of the conversation and unconsciously running various possibilities of what the jumble of sound could mean before coming up with what's being said.

For example, when I'm lipreading in a noisy room, I'm often aware of a delayed response to getting the conversation.

Jokes and humor are very hard to lip read because they partially rely on being unexpected or combining ideas you don't expect to be combined.

That's why D/d/HH people will often seem to be wittier in a quieter room. It's not because a quieter room transforms our personalities -- its because we hear better in those type of situations so we have a fighting chance of getting the jokes.

My two cents ... :)

Wirelessly posted

whatdidyousay! said:
I know plenty of people that are smart asses and they're not deaf or hoh.
Being a smart ass has nothing to do with being deaf or hoh.

I'm not saying it is because of deafness rather that hearing people seem suprised by witty deaf people, which is weird and pretty sad.

I'm known to be very sarcastic... not so much a smart ass... But I'm working on it! :)

"smart ass" a variant of being assertive?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Travis: welcome back to commenting on some of my posts.
Check the thread heading./post #1 by KittenEyez05

Travis: welcome back to commenting on some of my posts.
Check the thread heading./post #1 by KittenEyez05

I Notice your confused I believe it your confused mind lose I knew!

Wirelessly posted

drphil said:
"smart ass" a variant of being assertive?

Nah, there were times when she was assertive and times she was a smart-ass. I personally applaud both.

One has to live with one's ongoing reactions-life?

Back