I'm ashamed of showing my disabilities (Glasses, Hearing Aids etc...)

hope OP will returns.

Same here. I hope he did not think we are picking on him. I can feel for him, I saw how hard it was for my niece but she is doing so much better now and I would not want her to be any other way. I love her for who she is and would not want her to to be any other way! Her Asperger made her what she is and my niece it the sweetest person I know! I hope the OP will be able to find peace within himself like my niece was able to.

I know it's hard but I'm not afraid since I wear purple glasses and purple hearing aids (see my avvie)

Speaking for me, I've never felt ashamed of my deafness or my glasses (vision is 400/20 without glasses. I feel like Mr. Magoo). I've worn glasses since I was 14. I've worn HAs since I was 2 1/2 years old.
I have ADHD in additon to my deafness and my glasses.

There's a deaf-blind woman here with Asperger's sydrome so you're not alone. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to be ashamed of. :)

I wore glasses and still wear glasses since I was 5, I am in my mid twenties
deaf proud, glasses proud and geek proud! :lol:

I'm also an Aspie and I must say, I like it, I consider it an advantage. Sure, I may be lacking somewhat socially, but I'm smart and can figure stuff out and remember stuff other people can't. I'm different, not disabled. I have worn glasses since I was 2 also, and I didn't get contacts until I was a Senior in high school. I wear a brace on my leg. I look different, but I try to be confident in who I am. Are people picking on you? Because that can make things so much more difficult to accept yourself for who you are, especially at your age. Have you read about making friends and dealing with people socially? I have read several really good books about people with Aspergers. I really like the ones by Temple Grandin, she is Autistic herself, and wrote a lot of literature on her perspective and how she learned to "deal" with people. I found her books really helpful. One I read recently is Thinking in Pictures.

To the rest of you, "bragging" about Aspie/Autistic relatives is basically the same as saying "my cousin did these things, in spite of the fact that she is Deaf." It just doesn't work like that. Yes, there are those with developmental disorders that are better or worse off, but we are human. Being on the Autism Spectrum doesn't mean we are disabled or any less able, it means we are unique. Please don't brag about how "amazing" so-and-so is because they accomplished a normal feat, just because they are on the spectrum.

I know what you mean. You stand out more b/c ppl can see yo' aids. I look at it as a good thing b/c ppl know you have bad ears. Thats how I look at it. I love my hearing aid and I cannot live without it. I'd be so miserable and I'm very thankful I can hear some.

My eyes are still good. :rockon:

There is no such thing as a perfect person. We all have our issues.

People will take their lead from you -- and being a person who happens to have imperfect vision, hearing and has Aspergers is nothing to be ashamed of.

BTW, did you know that:

* One of the "fathers of the internet" is Vint Cerf (Also see this link.)

* One of the heros of the Texas Revolution was Deaf Smith.

* A famous actor and professional bodybuilder (won a few titles including Mr. America and Mr. Universe) was Lou Ferrigno.

What do these three very different men have in common? They are all partially deaf.

It's very likely that Einstein and Newton had Aspergers Syndrome.

And as per the article in the last link ---
Remember, in this high tech era, many nerds cry all the way to the bank.
:D

As for eye glasses, these days glasses are a fashion statement more than anything else.

Last edited:
Hello, this is my first post.
I feel really embarrassed by my hearing aids and glasses, especially since I am in my early 20s and disabilities are often viewed as weaknesses. I also have a condition called Aspergers which makes me socially awkward. I especially struggle with making friends because of Aspergers but the fact that I can't hear people properly when I don't wear my hearing aids because I'm ashamed of them really doesn't help. Also what kind of a girl wants to date someone who has not one but three disabilities? I'm average looking, socially awkward, hearing impaired, I wear glasses and I'm not much of a conversationalist. My only advantage is my extremely high IQ and that doesn't really help in making friends with or dating 'normal people'...
Are you ashamed of your disabilities? Are you able to date and make friends? Do you have any advice for me? Thanks!

Dude,
There is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm 27, a single mother, and d/hh. I'm also socially awkward and I have slight speech impediment. I don't consider these things to be something 'different'. I just see my deafness the same way I see my big toe - it's just a part of me. My age and my deafness doesn't mean I'm 'weak'. It just means I'm me.

Wearing glasses? Pshaw! Glasses are 'in'. Check out JClarke's glasses, his look kinda cool to me.

As for dating? I've not had a serious date since my divorce 7 years ago. Yeah; I dated a guy I met afterwards for about two years, but I never considered it a serious relationship - it was a toxic one actually. That's beside the point I am trying to make, though. I wouldn't be concerned about changing for someone to love you. If you have to change who you are for someone to love you, then they aren't worth YOUR love.

Also as for 'normal people', I can't help but ask, what IS a 'normal person'?

Everyone is different. Keep in mind that when you look for love it will either just creep in or it will hit you like a subway train.

I hope this helps. Keep your chin up. There is NOTHING I see that you should be ashamed of. Seriously.

I was in the same shoes in my 20s but not about my glasses. It can be a tough age to be at.

The best advice I can give you is to be yourself and if they don't like it it's their loss. It's what I live by.

:::Hugs:::

Last edited:
If they don't...lose them. It's their loss not yours. :) Glad to see you came back! Stick around!

Thank you all.

It's just I seem so weird to people and they don't want anything to do with me. :(

Believe me, it's OK to be weird. Ironically my weirdness was embraced by a lot of people AFTER I accepted myself for me and now I'm seen as unique. An extreme limited edition run, no more of me will ever be made, ever.

If they don't want anything to do with you, it is their loss, not yours. They are the ones missing out, not you.

Disabilities

My advice (promise I mean this kindly):

1. Deaf/glasses not "disabilities"

2. Hearing impaired = Non-deaf person after 8 beer

3. "Normal" not word which describe people

These all words deaf community work hard eliminate. My advice, stop use them now...find deaf community close you...stop pity party...stop be embarrass things you cannot change! You perfect just how you are.

And welcome.

I agree with most of what you're saying....
The part I do not agree with(least not the way you have written it) is that "Normal" does explain some people....Normal is a term that exists only in a fantasy....therefor, those "normal" people are a fantasy in their own mind. :-D

About your disabilities.
anyone who looks at your disabilities first, then looks at you, is not worthy of your time, your energy, your emotions, or any other part of you.
There comes a time when you must stand up for yourself & say, "this is me. this is but a part of who I am...if you like me GREAT!, if not, get the !#**!! out of my way!!!" and then continue to live your life to the best of your abilities.

I have like 4 or 5 disabilities, but I'll be damned if I am gonna let it get me down, or let someone put me down because of it. The more power you take away from these "disabilities" the stronger a person you will become.

Yes you will make mistakes. yes you will say less than Intelligent things at times...that's life, oh well so what? doo doo happens. :mrgreen:

I feel really embarrassed by my hearing aids and glasses, especially since I am in my early 20s and disabilities are often viewed as weaknesses. I also have a condition called Aspergers which makes me socially awkward. I especially struggle with making friends because of Aspergers but the fact that I can't hear people properly when I don't wear my hearing aids because I'm ashamed of them really doesn't help. Also what kind of a girl wants to date someone who has not one but three disabilities? I'm average looking, socially awkward, hearing impaired, I wear glasses and I'm not much of a conversationalist. My only advantage is my extremely high IQ and that doesn't really help in making friends with or dating 'normal people'...
Are you ashamed of your disabilities? Are you able to date and make friends? Do you have any advice for me? Thanks!

The only girl that's worth it...that's who :) Welcome!

I'm also an Aspie and I must say, I like it, I consider it an advantage. Sure, I may be lacking somewhat socially, but I'm smart and can figure stuff out and remember stuff other people can't. I'm different, not disabled. I have worn glasses since I was 2 also, and I didn't get contacts until I was a Senior in high school. I wear a brace on my leg. I look different, but I try to be confident in who I am. Are people picking on you? Because that can make things so much more difficult to accept yourself for who you are, especially at your age. Have you read about making friends and dealing with people socially? I have read several really good books about people with Aspergers. I really like the ones by Temple Grandin, she is Autistic herself, and wrote a lot of literature on her perspective and how she learned to "deal" with people. I found her books really helpful. One I read recently is Thinking in Pictures.

To the rest of you, "bragging" about Aspie/Autistic relatives is basically the same as saying "my cousin did these things, in spite of the fact that she is Deaf." It just doesn't work like that. Yes, there are those with developmental disorders that are better or worse off, but we are human. Being on the Autism Spectrum doesn't mean we are disabled or any less able, it means we are unique. Please don't brag about how "amazing" so-and-so is because they accomplished a normal feat, just because they are on the spectrum.

I am proud that my niece was able to overcome being bullied and not give up on herself. You have no idea what she when through to get where she is!
I talking about my niece finding peace with who she is and being able to have a boyfriend. The OP said he did not think any woman would want to go out with and letting him my niece and boyfriend have Asperger and they found one another. I never said my niece is disabled, you said that! I said I love my niece just the way she it. A doctor put my niece on meds that could had killed her! It look her months to recover and she had stop going to school . And no one is going to tell me NOT to be proud of what my niece had to over come to get where she is today! You're only thinking in term of my niece having Asperger, I talking about my niece as being a strong beautiful woman!

Thank you all.

It's just I seem so weird to people and they don't want anything to do with me. :(

so you may be weird...what's your point?

Every single person in the world has a certain "weirdness" to them....that's just the way it is.

if you wish to change anything about you, change because you want to for you, not because some shmuck thinks you should.

Just be yourself because that is the easiest way for all of us to be...if you try to be what you are not, it will show that you are hiding something & that scares people away.

BTW, if I was 30 yrs younger, I would not have a problem taking you out on a date & showing off my Beautiful date to all my friends. :D

shmuck = someone who will always find fault with others but never himself/herself.

someone who has an over exaggerated belief that they are better than anyone else...

someone who thinks they are perfect...and they ARE perfect....a perfect a**hole. :)

If it's any consolation, sometimes I wish I had that 'special someone' too. The adult companionship. However, I try not to think about it because the more you dwell on it, the more it will get you down. I'm sure deep down behind those posts and this computer screen there's a really sweet guy that would treat a lady really well.

Quick question, do you actually HAVE Asperger's or is it just due to hearing people saying that " Oh you don't function well socially in the hearing world. You MUST be Aspie." There IS dead on Asperger's yes....but it does seem like nowadays docs and experts simply catagorize ANY form of social awkwardness as " Asperger's"
It's a lot more compliated. Besides, TONS of oral dhh mainstreamed kids have major major social issues. Let me guess......you grew up mainstreamed to the max, and never really had friends, and was always the only dhh kid around right? It may well be simply the down side of the auditory verbal "gotta assimulate hoh kids" into the hearing world philsophy.
I feel for you. I STILL have so many issues due to growing up the only dhh kid in the universe...I'm still VERY self conscious about the way I speak and so on.

Back