Illinois State University

loml

Reaction score
Cued Speech is an approach to teaching deaf and hard of hearing students that uses hand shapes and positions around the lips that denote speech sounds that look alike to lip readers. A hand shape differentiates between the letters p and b, for instance, which look the same to a person reading lips. Cued speech is meant to raise a deaf person’s awareness of spoken language and improve literacy skills.

Illinois State University students in the deaf and hard of hearing program will learn more about the communication approach called Cued Speech thanks to a $100,000 five-year grant from the Ronald and Mary Ann Lachman Foundation. (left to right photo: Dean Deborah Curtis, Coordinator of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing Program Maribeth Lartz, Trustee Ben Lachman, Project Coordinator Laurie Sexton, and Special Education Chair James Thompson)

The Department of Special Education will use the grant to bring Cued Speech teachers, users and transliterators to campus and to provide financial support for students who would like to pursue additional training in the Cued Speech communication method.

Professor Maribeth Lartz said “Illinois State University’s Deaf/Hard of Hearing program is committed to sharing information and developing skills related to all communication methods used in educational settings with students who are deaf/hard of hearing.” She said there is a shortage of teachers and Cued Speech transliterators, which the partnership between the Lachman Foundation and Illinois State will address.

Illinois State is the only public college or university in Illinois that has a teacher certification program in deaf education. Ronald and Mary Ann Lachman’s son Ben is deaf. When he was a child, they wanted Ben to learn to read and write well and determined that Cued Speech was the best methodology. Ben attended pre-school at a Montessori school that taught every subject while using Cued Speech. He is a graduate of the Cal Poly – San Luis Obispo and works as a real estate developer in the Chicago area.

http://www.mediarelations.ilstu.edu/news_r...nfoundation.asp

Oh, Geez! Here we go again with the revival of CS. CS isn't a new concept, its an old concept that hasn't worked in the past in increasing literacy rates, and it will not work any better now. Reinventing the wheel doesn't provide a new tool, nor does it improve the function of the existing one. And the reason there is a shortage of teacher and programs is because it does not work in educational settings. It is merely another tool promoting oral language.

Good ol' ISU. I was there for a year before I got kicked out, though I hadn't planned on staying anyway. They pride themselves on being one of the top deaf ed. programs in the country, yet every year they have to beg residential schools to let them send student teachers there because of their reputation for making students into great teachers who can't sign. Texas School f/t Deaf actually threatened them the year I was there, telling them they wouldn't accept ISU students anymore if they kept getting students who couldn't sign well enough to communicate with second graders.

Good ol' ISU. I was there for a year before I got kicked out, though I hadn't planned on staying anyway. They pride themselves on being one of the top deaf ed. programs in the country, yet every year they have to beg residential schools to let them send student teachers there because of their reputation for making students into great teachers who can't sign. Texas School f/t Deaf actually threatened them the year I was there, telling them they wouldn't accept ISU students anymore if they kept getting students who couldn't sign well enough to communicate with second graders.

There you go!

Why dont they send their students to public schools that offer cued speech? Here in MD, I only know of one school that has a CS program and one deaf middle school student from there transferred to our school last year because she fell so far behind academically cuz the higher concepts of the classes didnt make sense to her via CS. I dont know how the other students in that program are doing. Guess it depends on the kids themselves but I am wary of that approach cuz it is not using a real language in the classroom and deaf children deserve the right to have actual language used with them instead of a coded system.

I cant say no to CS but I can say that it is probably better than oral-only language cuz there is a visual access to the spoken language..my only concern is what happens when the subjects become more complex and more discussions in the classroom are involved and how would it really work in those kinds of situations?

Why dont they send their students to public schools that offer cued speech? Here in MD, I only know of one school that has a CS program and one deaf middle school student from there transferred to our school last year because she fell so far behind academically cuz the higher concepts of the classes didnt make sense to her via CS. I dont know how the other students in that program are doing. Guess it depends on the kids themselves but I am wary of that approach cuz it is not using a real language in the classroom and deaf children deserve the right to have actual language used with them instead of a coded system.

I cant say no to CS but I can say that it is probably better than oral-only language cuz there is a visual access to the spoken language..my only concern is what happens when the subjects become more complex and more discussions in the classroom are involved and how would it really work in those kinds of situations?

Exactly! There still has to be way to communicate concept.

my only concern is what happens when the subjects become more complex and more discussions in the classroom are involved and how would it really work in those kinds of situations?

How would it really work in those kinds of situations? Folks who use Cued Speech would receiving all concepts via English, same as anyone else. Concepts are conveyed in the same way as if they were spoken. Cued Speech is a way to visually communicate in English. Mitochondria means Mitochondria. Measuring Forecast Error means Measuring Forecast Error. Reverse Posterior Leukioencephalopathy means Reverse Posterior Leukioencephalopathy. Etc, etc.

Excellent point!!!!!! Cued speech can serve a kid decently in early elementary...you know the same time period when phonetics is used..Besides, if Cued Speech is so good then how come it's being improved and modified?

Back