If your native language is ASL, I have questions for you!

stacyp

Reaction score
I'm a HOH woman who is learning ASL (I'm a beginner, but I can fingerspell and say basic things.) I also teach writing to kids in DC. My intern for the summer is a freshman at Gallaudet, which is obviously very exciting! He was born deaf, and ASL is his first language. He talks, but says, "people often think I'm speaking Spanish." :lol:

He's excited that I can fingerspell, and has promised to be patient with my slowness. I've invited him to teach any signs to the students he wants. We use Google Docs in class, so he can easily communicate with all of us through chat. We also have a big whiteboard in the room. He'll have an interpreter with him for the second half of class each day, but because he is sweet and awesome, he wants me to practice my ASL during the first half.

What else should I know before we begin working together next week? Can you suggest signs I should practice? Even though everyone else in the class is hearing, I want him to feel totally included, valued, and respected. He's a talented writer, and we're lucky to have him. Your input is much appreciated!

Life print has a list of 100 signs they feel are the top 100 used signs. It may be a good place to start.

Back