If your hard drive is damaged, what would you do?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I got a warning message on my desk top computer. It said that my hard drive was damaged and either needed to be fixed or replaced. It said to do an immediate backup of my computer, and then shut it down.

I did the backup onto my external drive. Then I shut down the desk top.

Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a critical problem because we have other computers in the household. However, this is the only computer that has the software on it that I need to complete my on-line college course work. My final project (which is the final exam grade) is due next week, and I need that computer to finish it.

Can I use the external hard drive backup in place of the computer's hard drive? If so, how should I do it?

I'm really surprised that my hard drive died so soon. It's only about 1 ½ years old, and hasn't been exposed to any harsh environment or conditions.

You backup your pics, documents or everything on your external hard drive from your desktop before you will get new hard drive. After installing new hard drive, you will restore your everything from external hard drive to new hard drive on your desktop computer.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Yesterday, I got a warning message on my desk top computer. It said that my hard drive was damaged and either needed to be fixed or replaced. It said to do an immediate backup of my computer, and then shut it down.

Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a critical problem because we have other computers in the household. However, this is the only computer that has the software on it that I need to complete my on-line college course work. My final project (which is the final exam grade) is due next week, and I need that computer to finish it.

Can I use the external hard drive backup in place of the computer's hard drive? If so, how should I do it?

I'm really surprised that my hard drive died so soon. It's only about 1 ½ years old, and hasn't been exposed to any harsh environment or conditions.

Reba, can you install the software onto your new HD? If you can, then maybe that might be worth the trouble. If you can't, then that may be a problem. What are the specifications you need to have for said software? (I know getting a new HD isn't cheap, especially for desktops)

Reba, can you install the software onto your new HD? If you can, then maybe that might be worth the trouble. If you can't, then that may be a problem. What are the specifications you need to have for said software? (I know getting a new HD isn't cheap, especially for desktops)
I don't have a new HD yet.

I would need Windows 7 OS, and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project) just for my final class project.

I don't have a new HD yet.

I would need Windows 7 OS, and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project) just for my final class project.

Yeah, I just realized my mistake. You mentioned an external HD. Is it possible to temporarily transfer your software to that until you can finish your project? Just a thought.

Yeah, I just realized my mistake. You mentioned an external HD. Is it possible to temporarily transfer your software to that until you can finish your project? Just a thought.
I backed it up on the external HD. I hope that I can use the external drive in place of the internal HD.

Eventually, I probably have to get a new HD or new desktop tower but I need to start working on my school project tomorrow, so I don't know if I have the time and money right now to get anything new. Most of my money this time of year is supposed to be for Christmas presents, not computers.

Can you use someone else computer to finish your work ?
No one in the immediate family/friend circle has the right software.

I might be able to download the software to TCS's laptop. It will be more difficult to use his laptop for this big project but it might be possible.

No one in the immediate family/friend circle has the right software.

I might be able to download the software to TCS's laptop. It will be more difficult to use his laptop for this big project but it might be possible.

Do have to bring your computer to fixed or can do it yourself ? I do not know a lot about computers .

I backed it up on the external HD. I hope that I can use the external drive in place of the internal HD.

Eventually, I probably have to get a new HD or new desktop tower but I need to start working on my school project tomorrow, so I don't know if I have the time and money right now to get anything new. Most of my money this time of year is supposed to be for Christmas presents, not computers.

I hope you can get that done without a hitch. I'm sure you'll feel a LOT better when it is. As for a new HD, I think maybe look for a deal either tomorrow (Cyber Monday) or closer to Christmas? Pretty sure a deep discount is out there somewhere.

Do have to bring your computer to fixed or can do it yourself ? I do not know a lot about computers .
I have to do it myself, with TCS's help. He does the physical work because my hands don't have the strength. We've changed out HD's before.

Windows has a native "Backup and Restore" tool that i've used a few times. Saved my butt.

Hit the START button, then type in, "Backup and Restore" without the quotes. It's the first program on the list. Once the application starts up, on the left pane, click on "Create a system image"

Go through the steps to backup your computer to the external drive, provided you have enough space to house it.

Then, after that's completed, on that same left pane, click on "Create a system repair disc". This should point to your DVD-RW drive. Insert a blank disc and let it do its thing.

That's it.

During restore, you will need to insert the disc first, and make sure your computer boots from it. After doing so, it will go through a series of steps and will ask you where your system image is. Point it to the external HD (or where you placed the image), and voila, let it go. It'll take a few, but it'll bring everything back to that point in time where you started the backup.

If your hard drive doesn't crash, it's good practice to do this anyways. This way, you won't lose any programs and/or files.

I think her issue though is being able to use/have Windows 7 and Microsoft Office itself via the external drive. I would think it could be possible if the drive is big enough. Not the best scenario but it might be a good short term solution.

I had to replace the HD in Baby Dell 2 years ago but can't remember what the cost was as had a local shop try to save the original. Wasn't too expensive and they were very nice folks (in SC).

I ordered a new HD from Newegg for $49.99. We'll see what happens.

It sounds like a virus. Was this an operating system message?
When I reboot, before Windows loads, I get a command line message screen about the HD failure, and to press F2 to continue loading.

no because there is no OS in your external HD.

When I reboot, before Windows loads, I get a command line message screen about the HD failure, and to press F2 to continue loading.

If the new HD doesn't resolve your issues, it might be the desktop tower, and those aren't cheap. What model is your desktop? Dell and HP are two of the more expensive brands I know of. Hopefully it's just the HD.

If the new HD doesn't resolve your issues, it might be the desktop tower, and those aren't cheap. What model is your desktop? Dell and HP are two of the more expensive brands I know of. Hopefully it's just the HD.
It's an HP. A new one would be $435, with Windows 8.1.

It's an HP. A new one would be $435, with Windows 8.1.

Yeah, that's an issue, all right. Let's hope the HD is a simple fix, and you won't need to get a new desktop tower. Getting all of that software you'd need installed in that might be cumbersome?

Back