If you were to create a website for the Deaf...

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
what would it be? It could be a dating website, an online store, a forum such as this one, or non-profit organization helping out the Deaf community.

What if, let's say, you would like to create a dating website for the Deaf but don't know how to start and/or how to actually create the dating software, but there's a software out there that's available for a good price and has excellent customer support. Would you be interested?

I'm curious as to how many of you are interested in actually creating a deaf-related website but don't have the knowledge nor tools to begin with. It could be something else that's stopping you, I don't know, but please share your thoughts and opinions about this one.

:mrgreen:

i would love to have a GBLT deaf related forums like urs alex, but ofc i dont have the tools or experince all i know is what i learned as a mod for another website but thats since gone defuncted, but however it would be fun to do that learn and experince things like that,
AND also have a CDI ( certified deaf interp) website as well forum wise to set up newsworthy informations, forms to discuss and have a venting section if they had a fustrating day, would help in the long run too!

Even though I've developed a few simple websites myself
from the Notepad. Perhaps I have a little fear of develop
any "complicated websites" this might depend on
who I work with if he/she is patient & encouraging
with me, that's Good !

Last edited:
I understand about your ideas being stolen. But you don't have give out details, just a basic concept of what you want to achieve.

As for me, well, I've always wanted to create a deaf-related news/event website. Of course there are many out there already, but mine will be different in comparison. Then there's the Deaf Models and Sweepstakes projects that needs to be worked on. I don't even know if I'd have time to run several websites, so we'll see what happens.

Of course, there are other ideas I have in mind but I haven't really put them into action. It's funny cuz once I come up with an idea, I go and search for the appropriate domain name. And if it's available, I buy it. Next thing I know, I don't know what the hell to do with it. :lol:

Alex said:
Of course, there are other ideas I have in mind but I haven't really put them into action. It's funny cuz once I come up with an idea, I go and search for the appropriate domain name. And if it's available, I buy it. Next thing I know, I don't know what the hell to do with it. :lol:

I totally understand how you feel on that. It took me 2 years to come up with something for my site. Now, I am trying to come up with another concept and it takes too damn long to make it happen. Frustrating!

I love to create my own website, but I have no web designing experince. I prefer to keep my future website under the wraps until I will announce it. Winks..maybe it will call "Pesting BBNT" website.. LOL jk.

I think the next website for the Deaf should be a variety of Self-Help and Do-It-Yourself resources:

1. For independent living skills, I met a lot of young Deafies who are finally on their own and they really don't know what to do with their budget and making sure they are taken care of with medical insurance, etc. This resource should list places and explain what one could do if he/she is in a bind.

2. For teaching how to be better Deaf citizens of their country. I have seen a good fair share of Deaf people fighting each other or going to court because they don't know how to or when to back off. I know most of us really talk trash, but it is no excuse for others to get huffy and violent about it. This resource should be able to explain various options to deal with anger issues and teach assertiveness. Proact, don't react.

3. For how to APPROPRIATELY deal with an incident at work or a customer service where ADA is violated. Some Deafies either don't know what to do, or just fly off the handle and do rash decisions which made it harder to prove their ADA case later on. This resource will help make the ADA case solid and kick ass!

4. For mental and physical health. Personally, I think this is most important one. I know some Deafies do not know what to do when there is a crisis. A list of places to go to for help would be good. Also, 12 step programs for the Deaf with various problems like Alcohol Anonymous and Recovery from Sexual Abuse. An online live chatroom would be good for recovery discussion. This resource is also good for giving answers to Deafies in isolation or in small towns without other Deafies to associate with and get help/advice.

5. For planning events and keeping things running smooth. Several local activities were dropped because someone failed to do their part. This should be a resource how to keep the activity going or making excellent back-up plans in case an activity falls apart. This resource should make you a great host and party master.

Last edited by a moderator:
illustrator--I can't tell you, anyone could steal my idea.

DeafSCUBA98 --same here... don't want peeps steal and create it before me.

Don't be ridiculous. Alex was asking *Would you be interested?*

Alex-- I had those experiences which I work for company. I work on 3 websites. It was pretty a lot to work on but what a great experience-- to improve my skills and gain my experiences.

I created a java script and you may notice something at beginning of www.deafzone.com --

Lol I can understand Illustrator and Deafscuba because I have an excellent idea for Deaf-related website. I feel that I will make some good money out of it because I have researched a lot and only a few of them have it but they didn't make it very good. However the problem is that I don't really have much time. Even though I found a decent software that will make it VERY easy but it will still take lots of my time. Will need at least 3-5 workers to make it successful but I have to admit I am afraid to mention my plans to ANYONE. It is beacuse I dont know who I can depend on and it can be stolen very easily. At same time, I asked myself if one day I will develop the website?? Am I being selfish??

I've already created a deafie website, so I'll just toss in my experiences here.
A website take both less and more work than people realize. Less in that it doesn't take tons of programming if you pick up the right tools. (there are a lot of programs which will deal with that for you. Check opensourcecms.com for some free tools.) You will likely need to tinker with the program to get exactly what you want, but once you choose the right tool, most things are dealt with for you.
More in that it takes a ton of work everyday just to keep things running. This site is a good example, because to keep it running, you have to moderate, and check what is going on in the threads. I am mainly talking about the social and content aspects here. To have a good website, you really need to update it regularly. And then (advertise and) wait because it takes time for the site to collect visitors and gain momentum.

My feeling is that the gaping hole is a lack of effective deaf news sources online. There are a ton of other things a deaf website can provide (and i'll eventually get around to dealing with), but I wanted to deal with that first.
To be honest, websites these days rarely earn much money. (companies are called 'dotbombs' for a reason) So its a good idea to put aside the thoughts of $$$ (at least to start with) and just try to provide the best site you can.

Thats what I'm doing. I realize this is unusual, but I'm not very selfish. I just want to share what I can and help others while I'm at it.

Heres a quick run down of some ideas I have. Mix of some stuff I am working on/plan to have, and just ideas.

1) 'feeds' and links to deaf sites that will let you know when they are updated
2) deaf journals and blogs. (local and on other sites).
3) listing of deaf events (OC movies, deaf theatre, expos, club meetings, 'deaf days' at parks, etc, etc)
4) list of deaf advocacy resources, and information. (connect to orgs that help, provide how-tos) which ties into..
5) deafie 'action alerts', requesting action on a deaf related political issue, and providing info on how to act. (ex: mailing the FCC about captioning on TV) Nad has theirs, but theirs doesn't seem to be very effective.
6) a deaf culture 'FAQ', providing the viewpoint of the deaf community online. (good for hearies)
7) DEAF product reviews, giving ratings. (cover asl/deaf culture books and videos for those learning about the deaf, and deaf products such as pagers, ttys, flashers, etc)
8) mobile tech. friendly news. (pagers, cell phone, pda, etc) provide deaf news briefs that can be easily received and read on the go.
9) mailing lists for different deaf news subjects. (like usa-l, but without the articles in the email, and break it down into different areas of interest)
10) deaf 'how-tos', help and advice for the deaf in how to deal with/do things.
11) 'DIG's, deaf interest groups, bring together deaf people interested specific subjects (sci-fi, computers, tv shows, sports, travel, etc)
12) and so on......

The key to many of these ideas is that you need ONE site. There are plenty of sites that give you a touch of information, but few that do anything in depth. (In an information age, a site that provides a meta 'one stop shop' and collects clear information is valuable)

IF you can do it well, go ahead and steal my ideas. The more people trying, the better chance something good will appear.

I always wanted my own site with the coolest message board online, and perhas even an AIM/Yahoo chatroom...perhas even some galleries of anime and videogames...

I wanted a site with asian text and dragons all around it...all stylish, all gothic, and all just cool, mean and lean.

even with avatars that are big enough to see, and giving members choices of their favorite color for text and if they choose their favorite color they can't change it again so it would stay that way while they are members of the site. I always a site that is just fresh, clean,fun...with alot of humor and unharmful bash and stuff like that...but with alot of fair rules but no comments like racist or sexist or anti reglion or whatever like that.

I'm still working on it but would just need some money for it from my job and stuff like that. it's just gonna take time. proably won't be ready until summer or something like that.

steel... try checking out Xoops. They have a nice built in avatar feature, as well as chat, etc.

Bree- You are exactly right. That's why I said in the previous that I have found a right software (tool) to make it easier yet it is still lot of work. If without that tool, it is impossible to do that. And again you are right it is difficult to make money out of website. That's why I worked hard to figure how to make money because I don't want to waste my time developing the website without any profits.

My ideas are better than all of yours. You will see me on your TV set in near future.

Back