If you were me, Would you report ?

What? It doesn't make any sense at all..

First of all, Electric Company doesn't mind about sick note but overdue late bill- they have right to shut off because they need money to pay bills.....

Second of all, over thousand dollar doesn't make any sense at all if they go to cruise. That made me think about this. If they go to cruise therefore they won't pay electric:pissed: bill as they are saving money for that luxury cruise. Dumb!

Yes that´s what I thought the same.

Electric company are force to not shut the electricity under doctor order due children´s heathly is pretty illogical to me because they are not responsible for protect chíldren´s health but the PARENTS... I thought electric company use common sense to advise them to make monthly payment or see Welfare or Social Service for assistance with money issues.

What if Electric company found out that they "acheive" their expensive holiday to neglect their electricity debts?

*scratch my head*

I agree not reporting dangerous situations for children is a crime. And you can be charged with such, if proven that you had knowledge of it and did nothing.

I can understand getting behind in electric bills but not so you can go on some dumb cruise.

Going on that cruise costed way more than the 1,800 dollar electric bill. So right there proves an ability to pay that bill. It is people like them that make me sick. They take advantage of the system, by trying to get doctors notes to keep from being shut off so they can go on a cruise? They can save that more than 1,800 to go on the cruise?

I have had my electricity shut off more than once over the years. But never because I could afford to pay and chose not to for something fun. They give people who honestly do struggle a bad name.

I hope DSS does something about them. Even if they had to borrow to go on the cruise, they could have borrowed instead to pay off that bill.

I couldn't afford to go on the cruise this year. But did I neglect my bills so that I could? Hell no! And if I had, I would fully expect to be reported for it.

For that woman to be mad at you, it just shows that she knows she was in the wrong and didnt like it being brought to light.

SMH at what these people are doing to their own children in today's day and age.

And for someone that said if you can't afford children, then dont be having them. You have to remember that there were some people that had children in a better time financially. Not everyone dreams of having kids no matter what.

I know for a fact that when I had children, both my husband and I *boyfriend at the time* had very good jobs. We brought in plenty of money at the time. But things happened and we dont have those good jobs anymore. Many people had good jobs and faced lay offs, closures of businesses and such. Try not to be so judgemental about people *having kids they cant afford*. You dont always know the true story there.

Bear - I agree with your post overall but please allow me to clarify a bit. Like you when I had my DD I was in a better financial situation than what I am now - I did not forsee a divorce and losing my house and finding out later that my ex-husband had illegally placed my name on the utilities in order to turn them on only to start bootlegging them. When I did find out I contacted the utility companies and let them know what I had found out. I ended up paying for part of the gas bill and I was stuck with a $1,500 electric bill that was bootlegged from September to Feb. I did not know any better because I never saw any shut off notices and the electricity was staying on. Was I embarrassed? You bet I was! Was I pissed? Beyond belief! I also filed a formal police report of fruad against my exhusband and so far I haven't heard anything and its been a little more than 4 years. But I did receive a refund check from the gas company last week in my name - so appearently the gas company has found my ex-husband and they are possibly pressing charges against him for theft of utilities. So I know what its like to hit hard times after the good times.

But what I meant by not having children if you cannot afford them is if you are in a financial hardship to begin with and you decide to have children which does not help the situation at all and plus it places the child in a hard situation as well, and secondly not to have children if you are not willing to make sacrifices for them such as not being able to take extravagant vacations every year and having to really make sure you can make bills on top of daycare, babysitting, food, clothing, proper housing, and so forth. Plus having children is a lifetime commitment. It is sad that people have children then decide to just not care for them anymore, it is something my imagination cannot even fathom.

So I was not discriminating against those who had children during better times but have recently hit some hard times, that is understandable and that is how life plays out sometimes. Trust me, Im there.

Bear - I agree with your post overall but please allow me to clarify a bit. Like you when I had my DD I was in a better financial situation than what I am now - I did not forsee a divorce and losing my house and finding out later that my ex-husband had illegally placed my name on the utilities in order to turn them on only to start bootlegging them. When I did find out I contacted the utility companies and let them know what I had found out. I ended up paying for part of the gas bill and I was stuck with a $1,500 electric bill that was bootlegged from September to Feb. I did not know any better because I never saw any shut off notices and the electricity was staying on. Was I embarrassed? You bet I was! Was I pissed? Beyond belief! I also filed a formal police report of fruad against my exhusband and so far I haven't heard anything and its been a little more than 4 years. But I did receive a refund check from the gas company last week in my name - so appearently the gas company has found my ex-husband and they are possibly pressing charges against him for theft of utilities. So I know what its like to hit hard times after the good times.

But what I meant by not having children if you cannot afford them is if you are in a financial hardship to begin with and you decide to have children which does not help the situation at all and plus it places the child in a hard situation as well, and secondly not to have children if you are not willing to make sacrifices for them such as not being able to take extravagant vacations every year and having to really make sure you can make bills on top of daycare, babysitting, food, clothing, proper housing, and so forth. Plus having children is a lifetime commitment. It is sad that people have children then decide to just not care for them anymore, it is something my imagination cannot even fathom.

So I was not discriminating against those who had children during better times but have recently hit some hard times, that is understandable and that is how life plays out sometimes. Trust me, Im there.

LOL Dixie no hard feelings, its just that sometimes those with holier than thou attitudes dont care about falling upon hard times. And I really hate that attitude. Because those with holier than thou attitudes never want to admit even when faced with the truth that it could happen to them to.

And yikes about what happened to you! Your ex was totally wrong to be doing that and stealing services! Not only is that fraudalent but also theft. Thank god you didnt get dragged into that with him criminally.

Be glad you are out of that situation hon, it could have been a lot worse for you and costed you custody of your DD if you had been involved criminally in that.

The smartest thing you did was reporting him, because if you hadnt they would have found out and then you would have been just as liable as he was.

But, I'm curious how did you eventually figure out he was doing this?

I found out when I kicked him out of the house after finding out he was involved in a crime ring and had filed a false police report about 'stolen guns'. When I asked to have the utilities switched to my name the operator was like - the utilities are already in your name and you owe us $1,500. I was like W-WHAT? Did I hear this right? I spent the next 3 days on the phone getting the whole thing sorted out. Turns out my ex-husband's brother who worked for an electrical company obtained a meter box tag for my ex. My ex wired around the meter box then placed the phony tag on the box to make it look like it was never tampered with - and I found out on my own from cleaning out the garage that we had beed getting shut off notices - my ex was hiding them in the garage from me. I also found my DD's SS card out there so lord knows what he's used her name for. But I have put a red flag up for her name that should anything come up in her name such as loans and what not that I need to be notified ASAP. I have thought about getting her SSN changed but not sure how to go about that process.

Dixie,
I am not sure if you change your daughter's SSN...but only way is maybe contact lawyer and see if they willing to?

I found out when I kicked him out of the house after finding out he was involved in a crime ring and had filed a false police report about 'stolen guns'. When I asked to have the utilities switched to my name the operator was like - the utilities are already in your name and you owe us $1,500. I was like W-WHAT? Did I hear this right? I spent the next 3 days on the phone getting the whole thing sorted out. Turns out my ex-husband's brother who worked for an electrical company obtained a meter box tag for my ex. My ex wired around the meter box then placed the phony tag on the box to make it look like it was never tampered with - and I found out on my own from cleaning out the garage that we had beed getting shut off notices - my ex was hiding them in the garage from me. I also found my DD's SS card out there so lord knows what he's used her name for. But I have put a red flag up for her name that should anything come up in her name such as loans and what not that I need to be notified ASAP. I have thought about getting her SSN changed but not sure how to go about that process.

In these days where ID theft is running rampant Im sure its doable although it would be a lengthy and likely expensive process.

In these days where ID theft is running rampant Im sure its doable although it would be a lengthy and likely expensive process.

Go to social security office and find out from them. I have no idea if you can change the SSN. I have never heard of it. Good luck.

Ok get back to the topic.

As some of you mention about parent going on luxary vacation. Well I know this woman who is not on vacation but did went away on a weekend for her stupid JW and came home with a different man while her hubby was in rehabilation waiting for surgery on his back.

Anyway as I have been hearing that she is not doing good with the kids and have been ingoring the kids especially to the older daughter who happened to be my stepdaughter while I was married to my exh. Anyway the mother brought coat and clothes for her kids except for the older child. So my exh brought her a new coat and 2 sweatshirt. I told her that I would get her new jean and shoe. She is so happy that she is getting the clothes at the right time as it is should be done. The mother does not care about the kids but she will lose them all one day cuz since she is about to lose her house and had to move out soon. Right now she is at her new bf house in Boston and taking 3 of her kids with her and the other 2 kids stay home. So my exh's wife and I went down to pick up the older child and the other child stay home with the babysitter who happened to be deaf lady which I dont know her.

The situtation is getting more sicker then I ever thought. I just cant wait this whole thing to be over with.

Not if you have Pre-legal system, they work so great and save your money. However, i suggest not to change your daughter's ssn because once court and FBI find out that someone is using SSN and they will return her SSN back to normal and put the red flag on her SSN meaning the Credit Company and other company will have to confirm her and her SSN. If ID theft use it again, they will call police on the spot if they can catch the theft. That is how it work. It happen to me because i run business in vet for grooming. My ssn is now in red flag to prevent anyone touch my ssn.

hope it help and sorry off topic..

Fax a copy of the money - now that'd be funny NOT.

A mother of two boys, she did fax a doctor note to the electricity company to not shut it off because her sons have an asthma require to using the electricity.

I didn't know you could simply fax the power company, telling them that they cannot turn off the power. Obviously, it didn't work.

Does anybody know of it working before? I don't.

I didn't know you could simply fax the power company, telling them that they cannot turn off the power. Obviously, it didn't work.

Does anybody know of it working before? I don't.

Electricity company can't turn the electricity off household family who have severe health problem, under age 18 months old and eldery people (over 65 years old). The law forbid the electricitian can turn the power off. It is against the law.

Electricity company can't turn the electricity off household family who have severe health problem, under age 18 months old and eldery people (over 65 years old). The law forbid the electricitian can turn the power off. It is against the law.

Yes, that's right.. but they can turn off the electricity if they dont hear from them couple months after they send bill and warning for shut off because unpaid bills for couple months.. It's most important to keep in touch with Companies if you couldnt pay bills but can pay like 20-30 and explaining that you are unable to pay bills, they either set up an arrangement to make payments monthly. something like that also, they do provide some assistances to get help with aides etc..

:)

Main, I think that electricity turned off is because her mother doesn't live there. So she might use that excuse to pull it off and thing like that--- In this state, law said only belong to address with anyone who is disease. Can't use Third Party.

Am I making sense?

But Electricity companies would go bankruptcy if they receive no money from the many people who can't afford to pay the electricity bill?

Yes, that's right.. but they can turn off the electricity if they dont hear from them couple months after they send bill and warning for shut off because unpaid bills for couple months.. It's most important to keep in touch with Companies if you couldnt pay bills but can pay like 20-30 and explaining that you are unable to pay bills, they either set up an arrangement to make payments monthly. something like that also, they do provide some assistances to get help with aides etc..

:)

Yes, that's right. I am a Public Utility Assistant and work under Utility company. We obligate to require the people in writing to go Social Department for assistance and except their reply within 14 days. No reply from them with Social Department's writing then we are force to shut their Utility off.

Yes, that's right. I am a Public Utility Assistant and work under Utility company. We obligate to require the people in writing to go Social Department for assistance and except their reply within 14 days. No reply from them with Social Department's writing then we are force to shut their Utility off.

:) .. same here.. Minnesota and West Va..

thats why its important to keep in touch with Utility companies and Public or Emergency assistance office.. if near 14 days, have Emergency assistance orPublic assistance fax the statement to the companies. so they know that you are working or filing to get some help..

This is from our electric company:
SCE&G is encouraging customers to take advantage of a third-party notification program targeted toward people with elderly parents who are SCE&G customers, or for parents of college students who are taking on bill-paying responsibilities for the first time. Third-party notification allows customers to provide the name and address of another individual – a family member, friend or neighbor – who can be notified by mail, along with the customer, when an account becomes delinquent.
Adding third-party information requires the consent of the account holder, or
someone with proof of Power of Attorney on behalf of the customer. Third party notification service can be requested by calling SCE&G customer service
at 1-800-251-7234.

Also:

An elderly widow struggles with decisions when the bills roll in. Does
she pay her rent and buy her medications that keep her diabetes and
high blood pressure under control? Then what about her natural gas bill,
which is 45 percent higher than last year? There’s clearly not enough to
go around, and that doesn’t even include a small amount for groceries.
When SCE&G leaders saw what was happening with natural gas prices
following hurricane damage to natural gas supplies in the Gulf of Mexico,
they were very concerned about the impact on customers, especially
those on fixed and limited incomes, where every dollar counts.
That’s why SCE&G created a new $3 million Winter Assistance Fund for
financially challenged customers, with special emphasis on the elderly,
the disabled and families with small children.

The new Winter Assistance Fund began assisting financially challenged natural gas customers with energy bills Jan. 1, through a partnership with the Governor’s Office (Office of Economic Opportunity) and local community action agencies. The funds are being used specifically for residential natural gas customers who meet poverty guidelines. Priority is given to those who are disabled/handicapped or elderly, and to families with young children (age 5 and under), or households whose energy bills are more than 20 percent of household income. Residential natural gas customers who anticipated problems paying their energy bills began contacting local community action agencies on Dec. 12 to set up an appointment. Qualified customers whose applications were approved received a onetime credit of $250 to their heating bill after Jan. 1. “We’re heartened to see SCE&G looking at unique ways that it can help its customers during difficult economic times,” said Dukes Scott, executive director of the Office of Regulatory Staff. “Although rising energy prices affect us all, these funds help ensure that many of their customers who need help the most get it.”

While the Winter Assistance Fund is new, a longstanding program continues to provide assistance to those in need. When Charlotte Johnson began falling behind in paying her monthly bills, she worried about providing for her four children. The single mother was also concerned about her 10-year-old daughter, who has serious health problems. “It’s hard for me to work full time because of my daughter’s health,” Johnson said. “She had been in the hospital, and I was not able to work. The medical bills were piling up, and I couldn’t pay my electric bill.” Johnson contacted the S.C. Department of Social Services and was referred to the Aiken/Barnwell/Lexington Community Action Commission, which participates in Project Share, a program that provides financial assistance to low-income families who are struggling to pay their winter heating bills through SCE&G customer and employee donations. Last year, more than 11,000 customers and employees contributed more than $250,000. to the program, which benefited more than 1,000 low-income customers including Johnson. “I can’t explain how much it meant to my family,” said Johnson. “It helped me to get back on my feet again.” Through the end of 2006, SCE&G will contribute an additional 50 cents, up to a total of $250,000, for every dollar donated to Project Share. “Through this 50-cent match program, SCE&G hopes to inspire even more support for the folks who will be most challenged by the higher energy costs we’re all facing this winter,” said SCE&G President Neville Lorick. Since its inception in 1986, Project Share has provided more than $6 million in assistance to SCE&G customers.

Also:

Heating assistance funds provide help
SCANA companies in North Carolina and Georgia sponsor and
contribute to programs to help assist customers with their winter
heating bills.
This winter, PSNC Energy marked its 23rd year of sponsoring The
Salvation Army Heat Care Fund by contributing $290,000 to the
program, which provides assistance to needy, disabled and elderly
individuals who need help in paying their energy bills. The natural
gas utility has also earmarked an additional $20,000 to match
donations from PSNC Energy customers and the general public.
The Salvation Army Heat Care Fund was initiated by PSNC Energy
in 1983 as a partnership between the utility and The Salvation
Army. Funds are distributed by local Salvation Army agencies to
needy residents living in PSNC Energy’s service territory, regardless
of the type of heating used. More than $1 million in assistance have
been disbursed since the program began.
SCANA Energy sponsors H.E.A.T. (Heating Energy Assistance
Team), which provides statewide emergency financial assistance to
help low-income families with heating costs. The company has
donated more than $500,000 to the program since 2001.
SCANA Energy customers also have the opportunity to contribute
to the fund through their monthly energy bills. Funds are
distributed by the Georgia Department of Human Resources through
local community action agencies. HEAT has contributed more than
$14.5 million to nearly 73,000 families during the past 22 years.

Also:

Employees lend a hand SCE&G employee volunteers are also taking the time to assist and educate customers this winter through participation in an annual “Housewarming Blitz,” Good Neighbor Fund and Speakers Bureau. Eighty-four-year-old Eva Bouknight said she can’t afford to pay expensive heating bills this winter, so she’s watching her thermostat. “I try to keep it on 68 and I wear two layers of clothes,” she said. But this winter, Bouknight could find comfort in the efforts of a group of employee volunteers who weatherized her Columbia home as part of the company’s annual “Housewarming Blitz.” The weatherization efforts (accomplished in cooperation with a local community action agency) included caulking, weather-stripping, painting, insulating and replacing windows and doors on her home. Bouknight said, “I think it's wonderful what y'all are doing and I can't appreciate it enough.” Nearly 100 SCE&G volunteers weatherized seven homes in Aiken, Camden, Charleston, Columbia and Lake City as part of the annual effort. The homes were selected by local community action agencies.
With a $150,000 contribution from SCE&G, and in collaboration with the Office of Economic Opportunity, three community action agencies went on to weatherize an additional 142 homes throughout the state. Making homes airtight and sealed against the weather is important in managing energy costs.

Back