If you knew or saw someone abusing a pet....

Roadrunner

Reaction score
If you knew or saw someone abusing a pet, what course of actions would you take? Would you call an animal cop, humane society, etc.? Or would you do 'nothing' and consider it none of your business? Also, if there was a person who in the past has abused a pet, what ways can we deter (discouraged) them from adopting or purchasing a pet in the future? I'm not too sure if there are laws that do mandate such people from adopting or purchasing another pet, yet, if there were such laws in place, it's possible it is not enforced due to the lack of manpower.

For myself, I sure would jump right into action by calling the proper authorities if the case of an abused pet was totally uncalled for...it does remind me of a time a few years back when I had gone to the store one day, it was a nice warm and humid day, around in the upper 70's...where I had parked my car, I had noticed a dog alone inside of a car with all its' windows up...I went inside of the small store and was out in 5 minutes...the dog was still inside the car, so I decided to sit in my car and wait for the owner to get back....watching the dog panting like crazy really just broke my heart to see...as the minutes passed by, the angrier I got...then approximately about 20 minutes later, the owner came back to his car and I got out of my car and yelled out a question to the man before he was able to get inside of his car and asked him, "Is that your dog?" He nodded, and then I asked, "Do you love your dog?" And once again, he nodded but this time he kind of squirmed a bit with a puzzled expression on his face. Then I angrily yelled at him, "if you love your dog, then why are you leaving the dog inside of the car with ALL the windows up and it's soooo hot!!!!" "How would you feel if it was YOU in the car with all the windows up in this weather and with no water?!!!" By this time, the man almost started to shout something back at me, but noticed that other people were watching nearby and then he hurriedly got into his car and took off....honestly, I almost decided to break a window to give the dog fresh air and water if that man hadn't gotten back another 5-10 minutes later! Boy, I sure never felt so furious to see such a poor dog panting terribly in the conditions the dog was in!!! :pissed: I know that perhaps at the time, I should have called the proper authorities, but I guess my focus was totally onto watching the dog closely and waiting for the owner to get back....

I have seen so many dogs, and Cats some owners do take their cats for ride too *eekk* Anyway... This does anger me when I see dog sitting in vehicle too long with window open a little in a heat summer.. I live on Cape and I see it so many time anger me so much.. when I have dog with me I try not do leave him in car alone If I plan to be gone more than few min.. I will take him home FIRST then go into store, I often AVOID going to Supermarket with dog in vehicle because it takes forever in supermarket you never know you change your mind and get more than a few items!

Anyhow as for ABUSING on pets! that angers me more too! if I see one person abusing I report him/her for absing. I Have done report on my ex roommate for not taking care of his cat, his cat and my dog got into fight (My dog didn't want to fight He want to play! and Jake didn't understand what the cat was doing)..... So Somehow He knocked my daughter onto the Metal pole right onto her spine area it hurt her back for few days and DUMB Dog Officer would NOT come out to speak with him but would call and told him to take care of his cat properly.. blah whatever BUT I dont allow his cat to come upstair However when He was moving out, He gave the cat to the Animal hospital that does have program for cat adoptions... About damn time he got rid of that evil cat I mean his cat was so evil he doesn't like people touching him etc... Only him and his daughter can t ouch the cat.. the cat has Attack me when my old dog was in basement that I didn't want her to see the cat thank god I gave the dog a Headlock with her legs and she didn't know what was going on and why I was doing this! I had sooo many holes in my leg from cat attacking BOTH of us I kept on kicking the cat off me WHILE i was walking upstair with dog in my chest while I lock her legs! OMG i never forget that!!

In Past I have Adopted Dogs ~ Aries, Lincoln, Virgil, Diva then I decide not to adopt for a while I need a dog that lives a little longer for my company when No one is home! So we have Jake.. He is 2 years old now..

I also can't stand seeing people neglecting their pets with grooming, claws longs etc!

If they want pets, they should give their pet TLC!!!

Wendy

Yes, You bet I would report it. Not long ago a few months back there was a guy next door taking his dog out on the leash and dragging his leash and hitting and kicking the puppy numberic of times. I was all boiled; wanted to go out there and hit and kick him but, Then I left it in the hands of the police, they came over and arrested the guy and even took the puppy and put in the animal control truck. I felt so glad that I can be able to help and having the puppy get a second chance at life.:)

If people cannot control their temper with their animals then they have no business being an owner of any pets. :smash:

I also can't stand seeing people neglecting their pets with grooming, claws longs etc

:werd: I have seen alot of those on Animal Cops (Animal Planet channel) That upsets me too, If they cannot take care of their animals then why have animals the first place? stupid people! :crazy:

It's always upsetting seeing pets being maltreated by owners -- :mad:

I've always taken good care of my pets all my life -- they're my life! :D

If I saw someone abusing a pet, I'll do whatever it takes to stop it and take the pet away from that someone. I'll then call the animal cops, or if there isn't any, take it to the animal hospital or shelter.

My ex-wife called the humane society on me that I was abusing my dog, Ruby, at my condo when it was actually at my mother's ranch in which had been there for 2 yrs already.

What a joker she is!

Richard Roehm

Oh yeah, I would do something about it in a heartbeat!!!

I have seen several pets being abused right through my eyes, and it does nothing but anger me....What I don't understand is WHY some people do that to their pets?, that I can never understand...

I've seen pets starved ( no food or water ), beaten , chained up in hot/cold weather, and leaving in a car with all the windows rolled up.... :|

It's nothing but saddness me to see how some people can treat their pets like chit!!!.. :pissed:

Last edited:
That's terrible. I'd never put up with people wanting to do that, if anyone tried to hurt our pets, even if they were kids, I'd yell at them and tell their parents. My boyfriend once saw a cat being deliberately run over... it was a very sad night when that happened, it was just a young cat, not fully grown yet. It had followed him everywhere, and was going home when this car saw it and decided to run over it. I've seen people kick dogs like a football which is incredibly mean.

it makes me want to kill that person! I volunteered @ an animal shelter for 2 summers, and the things I saw made me want to cry so many times.

1 kitty, a gorgeous white kitten was dropped off during the night by the p.d., and when I came in tht morning, I didn't read the chart (whtever the pd brings in they mark it down on the chart to tell wht happened n bsbs) and saw it laying in the corner, and didn't think anything of it. most of the new cats tht come in r usually scared due to new environment n dogs nearby, anyway I was cleaning the cage out and picked her  , thts when I knew something was really wrong. her hind legs were dangling off, and she cried if u touched her ribs, turns out someone hit her on purpose. we put her to sleep. :-/

I've also seen big mighty dogs tht wld normally scare people be deathly afraid of a person.. made me mad everytime I saw them

u can betcha ill have it REPORTED AND to see if i can get hte owner arrested and deprived of the pet so the pet can be given to a better home!! the pet does NOT deserve that kind of treatment -- same applies to human children left in the cars and that ive seen on occasions and that REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!! :angry:

I absolutely love animals. Actually, wolves is my most favorite animal. Anyway, I would call an animal police or whoever is responsible for handling these sick people. I yet have any experience with these.. but if it happens, I would get mad and do something about it for sure.

At one restaurant, my family and I saw one dog who stays in the car during hot summer (It is illegal to leave the dog(s) or any animals in vehicle during summer in California) and we were going to report about it but someone already did. Animal police was at the scene and owner of that dog was making some excuses. I dunno what happen afterward.

There was a news about horse a while ago, I dunno if anyone around here know about it or not. One woman (I believe) left her horse outside and haven't feed that horse and not even give any water to drink for two months. I was furious when I found out about that news. The court has placed her in the jail and ordered her to look at the horse picture everyday. I dunno how long owner will stay there. I don't know how can horse survive like that.. I believe that horse lives on grubs and rain water or something... That was quite cruel. If I am a judge and I would give her 30 - 50 years term for sure.

Whenever I pass all courses in Tom Brown Jr's tracker school, I will try and track the wolves down to survive with them for some times. To study and to hang around with these perfect creatures. Tom Brown Jr did so I want to do that as well.

I would report right away if I witnessed anyone absuing animals.. I dont like it when animals is being abused :mad: I remember when I was working as a volunteer in a animal hosp, there was this golden retriever puppy who was put in isolation, he was such in a bad shape.. I found out that a kid threw a box against the wall that had the puppy in it.. boy I was mad about that..I kept the puppy company, talking to him, etc. while he stayed there. I got even more pissed off when he was given back to the same owner. I hope the owner taught her kid a lesson :\

Roadrunner, our next door neighbors had two dogs perish that way! In their case it was a complete accident...they'd come home from the lake and were in a hurry to get ready for a wedding...the husband got out of the car and thought the wife was going to let the dogs out, but she was getting the baby out of the car seat and then forgot. They didn't realize they'd left the two small dogs in the car until about an hour later, at which time, they both had died. It was SO incredibly sad...they were weeping uncontrollably and we helped them to bury them...there were in a state of shock for months afterward. Here in Georgia, we have some very hot Summers. An animal (or small child) can die in NO TIME in a closed up car with no ventilation. We have had all too many deaths occur that way.

Yes, I would report animal abuse at the drop of a hat...and I've been known to actually get involved on a personal level. Heck, my dog Bailey is actually a rescue from Texas where he'd been used as (make sure you are sitting down for this one) a "bait" dog for gang dog fighting!!!! He had SO many issues when he first came to us...(sigh...who wouldn't?) but he is now a very happy, well-adjusted pupster who is just WAY too spoiled. LOL!

I'm always sad and angry every time I heard about cruelty towards animals. :tears: I would report to animal police if I know of one being abused. :mad:

Back