If you had the choice?

Would you get a 2nd Implant if able to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmmm.... that's hard to say....

Dad has asked me about getting another CI when I was in Jr. Year... I have flat out said no, no way because I didn't want to go through another surgery, have another scar, having my hair be all messed up and uneven... don't want to have another CI on other ear to make me look more noticeable.

But now as I start to hear from my Oral friends who has been getting 2nd CI, telling me how much they hear more, and how great it is and blah blah blah.... I must say that I'm getting quite cuious about getting another one...

Then I learned about how you have to get the training all over again, to get used to the hearing differently and all that...

so I stand my decision...

No... I would not...

Why would I? I hear just fine with One CI.... that's just enough for me.

2) I don't want to deal with the extra cost of keeping two sets of CIs.
3) I don't really see the benefit being THAT significant at this time.
sr17soars and SCBasssest.....execellent points
Here in the US a second CI may translate into more out of pocket costs (eg more Mappings, more special equipment like dry n store etc)

Hybrid or one of the newer model is quieter and it is harder to hear them approaching you. The blind people have had problems with that, too because they couldn't hear them coming and they're hearing!

Lissa, does NHS offer different label of CI or just limited to one brand?

I can understand about blind people (and I thought they have dogs trained for this anyway) . If they are going to add noise to newer car model, they should pick something with low bass sounds because alot of deaf can hear this with their hearing aids.

I'm always extra careful with blind spots because I know I will not hear them approaching.

Yeah... I have to say while I think the CI is really good, and should be a viable option. (heck I've even reccomended that people look into it!) that it still has the " oh this is the best technology ever" vibe It does seem like some audis and experts are almost selling it. ( as in a BUT WAIT! selling style) I do think a lot of people need to be VERY careful about looking into it, especially if they are an ambigious canidate. Before I get attacked, I would say the exact same thing about a new hearing aid.
Oh, and just wanted to say that I think virtually everyone here is very down to earth re: CI. Which is awesome. The "selling" seems to be mostly by the experts and the audis.....and I do think that a lot of it is almost like the relationship between regular docs and Big Pharma.

I am considering get 2nd implant but problem is... very expensive here in New Zealand and no funding is allowed to use 2nd implant. A bit dissapointing but however, I am trying to save my money to get 2nd implant.

I am considering get 2nd implant but problem is... very expensive here in New Zealand and no funding is allowed to use 2nd implant. A bit dissapointing but however, I am trying to save my money to get 2nd implant.

Will it cost you about $10 grand for a second CI? Just curious

By the way, surely, you could appeal to someone in the Health Dept such as Health Minister and explain why you need a second CI.

Also get out and inform the Media if you think they'll help you achieve your goal.

Will it cost you about $10 grand for a second CI? Just curious

A friend of mine has just got a second implant in nz and it cost them $70k with the cheaper body-worn processor.

Krazy, just wondering. Why are you looking into a second implant?

Hi, sorry for the late reply :) You know I am thinking about getting 2nd Implant sometime near the future. My hearing aid is not longer work and benefit on my left ear.

I have been research about these on the internet. The 2nd implant will help to locate the sounds, understand better in noisy situations, Hear with greater ease in more places, balance and know where sound is coming from without looking. I have some questions to ask to my audiologist end later this year.

Reason why: Sometimes I find it trouble to locating the sounds when someone called me on the left ear.

Hope you understand what i mean :)

:wave:

in australia ifyou want second CI it cost you $25grand..... or go on to health private insurance for a year and you will onlly pay very small gap and the private health will cover the rest. its something that i think about after i get the first CI in march 26th

how do you know help you insurance for cochlear implant real expensive? I wish be 2nd able guess something help cochlear implant I expect to real help better strong powerful technical best do it. I think so sound great wow awesome I am not sure alllow insurance cochlear implant???? I guess coverage system?? Pls help me question to me courage for me

Back