If you had a choice for eating out, which would you choose?

Since moving to Texas we've passed this tiny little place, like seriuosly it's the size of a tall shed, it just says Tamales in the front. I want to go there soooo bad!! I bet they're awesome!!!

Tamalas are CHAMP!

Since moving to Texas we've passed this tiny little place, like seriuosly it's the size of a tall shed, it just says Tamales in the front. I want to go there soooo bad!! I bet they're awesome!!!

I know what you mean. My dad wanted to take mom and me out for dinner one night and dad always go to a fancy restaurant and have a 5 course meal . I told dad we did not have to do this so he took us to this small Italian restaurant that had red and white checkered tablecloths . It was a mom pop place and we had a great pasta dinner. It was one of the nicest time I had with my parents . It cost a lot less that a 5 courses meal and we did not get all dress up to eat out. We had a hole in a wall restaurant that only served breakfast and lunch and there always people standing outside waiting to get. They made great breakfast . You do not always have to spend a lot of money to have nice time.

I love pasta.. your post reminds me of our experiences with "hole in the wall" or mom/pop type places - one was when I was in high school and we traveled "up North" with some family friends in Winter in their little Toyota Corolla <yes, we really did> to Canada to go on the Snow Train. It was my mom, and her two adult husband-and-wife friends who had traveled all over the place for many years, and me. We stopped to get some breakfast one time when it was snowing out. We stopped in the tiny little cabin of a restaurant somewhere in the North woods of either Michigan or Canada. I remember I ordered cereal and eggs and they brought the jugs of milk <other people used the milk too; I drank some milk then> and the box of cereal to the table, it was more like eating in someone's kitchen.
and the adults went up and talked with the people at the restaurant as they were cooking...it was very home-like and the whole place smelled like firewood and sausage.

Dont know where you are at but a McD meal here is $5 with drink included, a meal at a private business here is anywhere from $5 to $20 and the drinks are an extra $2.50 to $5...some businesses dont do the free refills either... fast food is cheaper but the private businesses are healthier and The healthier foods win over McD anytime !!!!

I have never liked McDonalds. Im fine with any other fast food restaruant except that one.

The last time I ate at McDonald's was when I was 8th grade. I'm 42

I like small and local businesses because this way you're supporting smaller chains and usually you get a nice meal for a decent price. They can also quieter and less noisy than bigger businesses like Mc Donalds. I find it it harder to hear others in such noisy environments.

Dont know where you are at but a McD meal here is $5 with drink included, a meal at a private business here is anywhere from $5 to $20 and the drinks are an extra $2.50 to $5...some businesses dont do the free refills either... fast food is cheaper but the private businesses are healthier and The healthier foods win over McD anytime !!!!

That's because we have some of the highest taxes in the US. That's why it's so expensive.

That's because we have some of the highest taxes in the US. That's why it's so expensive.

no it's not. healthier food costs more because of labor involved and the premium. McD figured out the way to make it cheap and widespread so that alone makes food very unhealthy.

organic food typically costs twice more than non-organic food. the tax rate remains the same for both organic and non-organic food.

no it's not. healthier food costs more because of labor involved and the premium. McD figured out the way to make it cheap and widespread so that alone makes food very unhealthy.

organic food typically costs twice more than non-organic food. the tax rate remains the same for both organic and non-organic food.

Even so, it still costs $6+ for a meal with no pop included. With pop, it's well over $7, and that's because I don't usually drink Coke-- I'm a Pepsi kind of guy.

Even so, it still costs $6+ for a meal with no pop included. With pop, it's well over $7, and that's because I don't usually drink Coke-- I'm a Pepsi kind of guy.

right... and how much is the tax?

Trust me-- the taxes aren't the same for northern Chicago and downtown. Downtown costs a lot more, and fine dining down there isn't cheap. Why do you think many of the fine restaurants are up in northern Chicago for? Because the tax is cheaper, and the dinners more affordable. It's the same thing outside of downtown on the South Side, but the North Side is still way cheaper than anywhere else in Chicago.

so, youre saying, if you order an extra value meal ( sammich, fry, drink ) you dont get no drink and pay extra for the drink? I smell BS !

nevermind, I mis-read... so you dont get the meal, you buy it all individual and choose to buy a seperate soda elsewhere.... well, its still falls on you, NOT on McD.... you choose to make it more expensive to begin with.

Im a pepsi guy myself, but I will take what comes with the meal.

If a dinner came with a free bud lite, hell yeah Ill take it, and trade off with a friend who drinks and have him get me a soda...its a win win for everyone.

I don't know why but I detest the taste of junk food of burgers, taco, pizza etc.
the best I can do is Jugo Juice, Freshii or at most - U Grill.

The cost is comparable, and is SO much healthier not to mention - less calories.

Fuzzy

I think organic food is waste if money today, there is so much air and water pollution and who know what is in the ground.

Back