If you ever worked, are you still working or living on disability?

management is what keeps the "real job" running, ya know? there are people who can do grunt work and there are other people who can do the thinking.

it takes two to tango

OH... let me to do tango dance. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmby9J42OfE]A Romantic Tango Dance by Gustavo and Jesica Hornos from Buenos Aires, Argentina. - YouTube[/ame]

management is what keeps the "real job" running, ya know? there are people who can do grunt work and there are other people who can do the thinking.

it takes two to tango

That's bull, and you know it. All they can really do is provide the initial training to get the momentum going, and then get the others who are aspiring to be managers to do the floor training once they have had the corporate training in the first two weeks.

I'm siding with labor on this. I stand by the workers who make it happen.

Drummer that is only gonna happen in upotia. No business gets anywhere without delegating responsibility. The more you know and can do the more responsibility and pay you get. I can't always agree with the management but the floor workers would run a company like walmart into the dirt

That's bull, and you know it. All they can really do is provide the initial training to get the momentum going, and then get the others who are aspiring to be managers to do the floor training once they have had the corporate training in the first two weeks.

oh ok. I guess the workers know how to deal with paperworks, legal issues, certifications, hiring/firing/training, paychecks, coordination with suppliers, compliant inspections, workplace injuries, opening up new branches, finding investors, etc. I won't even imagine what would happen to a company if workers handle the financial matters.

since you've shown me what you think of managers in a negative light... now let me show you what I have read about workers. For ie - NYC MTA workers can make as high as $90,000+ with only high school education and quite a handful of them do not do actually do the works for that amount. It's full of padded hours and overtimes.

there are lot of lazy unethical workers and there are lot of bad managers. but there are lot of hardworking managers and hardworking workers who depend on each other.

I stand by all honest, hardworking people - regardless of their job positions. to think workers do not need management... you are clearly out of touch and perhaps you might want to give it a try for a day and see if you can handle it.

like I said - there are people who can do the grunt work and there are other people who can do the thinking. we all depend on each other to keep the engine running smoothly. it takes two to tango. that's why there are soldiers and officers.

I'm talking about a job with real skills. I wasn't talking about money. I was talking about doing something USEFUL. You have to remember that he is removed from the REAL action in retail, where the actual work is done. On the floors, at the registers, at the loading docks, in the warehouse behind the rear wall prepping the merch to be stocked on the floor, etc. That is where the real work is done. if all the nonmanagerial staff walked off the job and no one showed up to replace them, the managers couldn't keep the place going indefinitely. No wonder prices go up because the overhead for "managers" creep up. He should not be earning that much money for the actual amount of work he does (it has to be something besides people and pushing paper).

No thanks. When SHTF, he better have some skills to keep himself alive and be mentally ready to downshift his lifestyle and be working out NOW in the event he has to make a drastic career change. Just watch...

He started out as a cashier 12 years ago and worked his way up. When we were married, he worked long hours and worked on holidays. He busted his ass doing the REAL action in retail to get where he is at now.

Well, the job allows him to be able to own a house, two new cars, support a family of 6, and take vacations to south Mexico. So, it works for him...at least he is not living off on welfare, isnt he?

I wouldnt care where my job is at as or what it is as long as it pays the bills and allows me to have some luxuries in my life.

You need to rethink this. At every job level, there is a certain amount of responsibility and that responsibility is weighted by pay. I won't argue that educated people get paid more and physically work less, nor am I arguing that labor is not important, but the responsibility is either the same or greater at each ascending level in any business.

It's easy to get fifteen people in a room. It's a lot harder to get them to all agree on lunch, get the lunch paid, and make sure it is delivered properly.

You're far better than I am. I can't do numbers in my head either but unlike you, I can't use a calcalator (Excel, yes)

I'd pursue the Ph.D. For your thesis you can write how you overcome your fear of failure and pursed your dream....

Laura

Apparently, there is software that can help with this condition. Perhaps you and FadedRose can benefit from this:

Behavioral and Brain Functions | Full text | An open trial assessment of "The Number Race", an adaptive computer game for remediation of dyscalculia

Any tools we can use to make our jobs/lives easier we should take full advantage.

That is an intervention for kids, positing the theory that if people don't learn something at an early age, they will always have difficulty learning it. Critical period, like CI at a later age for people born deaf. However, people with learning disabilities, due to learned frustration responses, often avoid activities associated with those academic skills.

I have problems with mathematics, myself, but when I really want to do something, and practice it, I can become proficient. For example, I once did a ceramic set of canisters. I painted them in a plaid design, each one proportionate to the size of the canister. Once I got into it, the process of determining the width and placement of the stripes for each one became accurate and the overall effect was pleasing. Integrating practice with motivation always works.

That is an intervention for kids, positing the theory that if people don't learn something at an early age, they will always have difficulty learning it. Critical period, like CI at a later age for people born deaf. However, people with learning disabilities, due to learned frustration responses, often avoid activities associated with those academic skills.

I have problems with mathematics, myself, but when I really want to do something, and practice it, I can become proficient. For example, I once did a ceramic set of canisters. I painted them in a plaid design, each one proportionate to the size of the canister. Once I got into it, the process of determining the width and placement of the stripes for each one became accurate and the overall effect was pleasing. Integrating practice with motivation always works.

Then, IMO, you did not have a learning disability for that particular issue. You simply lacked effort as I did when I was in school. A learning disability can be physical and prevent you from learning something in a certain way, no different than learning to write like a right handed person using a left hand, you cannot approach it the same way.

If you used the same approach with more effort, it is not a physical disability. If you used a different approach to accomplish the same thing, it may, in fact, have been a disability.

learned frustration responses, often avoid activities associated with those academic skills.
Is the key here. It is difficult to tell one from the other.

That said, some of my hearing loss may be congenital. Many teachers placed me in the back of the classroom, probably because of the cultural issues in the community in which I grew up. I frequently spent math class-time reading. :giggle: So it could have been "a lack of educational opportunity." :laugh2:

Is the key here. It is difficult to tell one from the other.

That said, some of my hearing loss may be congenital. Many teachers placed me in the back of the classroom, probably because of the cultural issues in the community in which I grew up. I frequently spent math class-time reading. :giggle: So it could have been "a lack of educational opportunity." :laugh2:

The environment in which you learn makes a huge difference. I did not learn well in hostile environments. I won't say all, but a great many hearing impaired/deaf children experience this, unfortunately.

I worked in the Pharmacy at Wal-Mart for 20 years. The most stressful job ever. But, almost all of my employees had been there almost as long as I had. At least in the stores I worked at, store managers worked their butts off. They were there night and day during the holidays and when there was a remodel they were there too. Even when they worked that hard if sales didn't hit what was expected they were either transferred or demoted. Only a very, very few make it to a level of income that I would call "comfortable". The way they make money is from meeting sales quota and getting a bonus!!

There will always be different types of people at any job. No job is meant to be like bliss. You work to support yourself and improve yourself, not to be a social butterfly and to be well liked by everybody. Also, if you keep your job, your wages will continue to increase. If you quit again and again, your wages won't increase.

With 2014 coming up soon, you will be able to get a policy you want without the high premiums. In the meantime, look to see if your state has Medicaid for employees with disabilities.

I personally see SSI to be used for people who CANNOT work.

As for myself, I have worked seven jobs since I was about 15. The first one involved being a busser and dish washer (and sometimes food prep). Then at IUP, I worked in one of the campus cafeterias. I quit that one soon after, because the tasks were pretty redundant and always the same. I liked variety and being proactive. Then, I worked in the campus library for two years. When I got my BS in Deaf Ed, I subbed for 2 3 years and taught for two years. I also worked at Walmart concurrently while teaching. I was laid off from teaching, so I am still at Walmart. It's better than nothing. Though, I am back in school for Medical Laboratory Science, so we will see where that takes me in 2014.

Whoops. Forgot about this one. I want to add for the quick readers that I'm deaf, lesbian, trans, a musician, vegan, economics-minded, so many things nobody wants to be. This weekend was a F* depressing weekend, even though I was off work. I am considering having to sell one of my vehicles so that I can buy a travel trailer and live off my SSDI and some savings for as long as SSDI is still available (it WILL stop one day when either SS is recognized as a ponzi scheme and terminated as such or I find the job I can live with). It is a bitch living with various levels of ridicule, especially from the customers (it's never said, just how it comes across). Most coworkers are nice about it, though. They keep their peace because they have a job to protect.

True, I also can't function in a group setting and recently had to talk with a manager in private about opting out of store meetings if an interpreter wasn't present, since only the leader would be understandable (when it goes to a group discussion, understanding is "done gone"). I'm awaiting word on that.

youre from houston and im also from houston resident for many years. i have been working for many years with a job and a half. i m a stoned deaf and im happy with a job which is difficult to challenge to work at. hope your life treats you well. take care.

Back