If you could tell the world one thing...

mote

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a writer of children's fiction, and for sometime have been wanting to feature deaf characters in my publications. However, being a person of normal hearing level, I know that I am handicapped not only in terms of writing realistic characters, but also in terms of accurately conveying a meaningful message to the general public (hearing and deaf alike) in regards to the deaf community.

I have been reading discussions in these and many other forums, as well as meeting with deaf people in my community to interview them. These experiences have improved my understanding greatly. Still, if I may be so bold, I would like to ask the members of this forum a simple question:

If you could tell the youth of the world one thing about your life as a deaf person, what would it be?

Please feel free to answer anything.
Also, please know that your help is GREATLY appreciated.:ty:

Watching in silent is just as beautiful as listening to sounds. ( it may not be best written to describe how I feel in a poetry type of way, but you are hearing, you make it better so hearing people can understand it better)

People often tell me they love to hear bird chirping and all that. Yes, It is very beautiful but when I take of my hearing aid/CI, I find watching things in silent is just as beautiful.
I don't need sounds to appreciate birds who made those sounds in the first place. I don't need to hear the tree rustling in the wind just appreciate watching tree dancing with the soft feel of the wind.

If I could send one message, I would send the message of "whole person" deafness...

meaning...

A deaf person is a whole person, just as anyone else. The ONLY thing a deaf person CANNOT do is HEAR! (and use the drive-up window at the fast food place! ;) )

They CAN drive cars, date, marry, have sex, have children, hold down jobs, have meaningful active lives, etc. They have the same emotions, intelligence, etc as anyone else. They deserve to be treated as equals!

ASL is a must for many Deaf and Hard of Hearing people who need for visual when they could not use lipreading very well or not at all. Also to let the world know that we don't want to be "fixed" unless we are asked if it is okay for us to be "fixed". Babies could not tell the parents if they want to have their hearing "fixed". That is why we want the babies to grow old enough to understand what is going on in their lives when it comes to CI or wearing hearing aids. For me, I did not have hearing aids until I was 8 1/2 years old going on 9 years old. I was never asked by the audiologist or my parents to see if I want the hearing aids or not. They don't care because they think I should hear sounds like them. Whatever. :roll:

I have often been told by hearing people (after they learn about SSI, and how deaf and HoH cannot serve in the armed forces, and Vocational Rehabiliatation) that they wish they could have it "easy" like we do.

We do not have it "easy."

We do not have the same citizenship status as those whom have served and we never will. There are no VA benefits to being deaf. Having to be forced to rely on SSI or SSDI restricts your income, and is designed to be a trap. I do not rely on either.

Employment opportunities are also restricted due to the telephone. Even though the old saying is "the deaf can do anything except hear" is true, there are a lot of things the deaf are not "permitted" to do as a result of their deafness.

Even though I view this as blatant discrimination and oppression, guess who wins the argument every time?

Why are we answering a person who made one post and did not return?

Why are we answering a person who made one post and did not return?

Why are people answering that person at all. I am not crazy about having people using this blog if they're not deaf or HOH to ask questions so they can write a book using what we say. why should people made money off us.

I answered because she said it is for children's book. I think children should be educated about deaf community and I certainly don't want anyone to make ignorant statement. I do think the best author would be deaf himself.

Thank you for your responses. I apologize for my late reply. I was out in the middle of a forest for work (my day job).

whatdidyousay,

I am not trying to make money off of anyone. Truth be told, my writing fiction for children to read is a hobby of mine that almost doesn't even pay for itself. Furthermore, I don't intend to use any of your quotations. That being said, of course I'd happily give you all credit for helping me out conceptually in the next issue I publish. If it would make you more comfortable, I could even give you a link to a website with all of the pages I've done so far so that you can see what it is I'm trying to do.

Just to be clear my sole purpose in asking you all this question was to help me brainstorm how to convey something more meaningful to ignorant people like myself. I want to be able to understand something more than my narrow little world, and to help other people understand too. Who better for me to ask than you?

I do think the best author would be deaf himself.
On this I would agree. However, it is my goal to foster understanding of all people in this world, not just people who are like me.

I would like to thank you all immensely for your help. I do hope I have not offended anyone.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. I apologize for my late reply. I was out in the middle of a forest for work (my day job).

whatdidyousay,

I am not trying to make money off of anyone. Truth be told, my writing fiction for children to read is a hobby of mine that almost doesn't even pay for itself. Furthermore, I don't intend to use any of your quotations. That being said, of course I'd happily give you all credit for helping me out conceptually in the next issue I publish. If it would make you more comfortable, I could even give you a link to a website with all of the pages I've done so far so that you can see what it is I'm trying to do.

Just to be clear my sole purpose in asking you all this question was to help me brainstorm how to convey something more meaningful to ignorant people like myself. I want to be able to understand something more than my narrow little world, and to help other people understand too. Who better for me to ask than you?

On this I would agree. However, it is my goal to foster understanding of all people in this world, not just people who are like me.

I would like to thank you all immensely for your help. I do hope I have not offended anyone.

Me, too (see bold letters above).

You may not like my answer but there are deaf/hh people who can hear and think sound is a beautiful thing to hear. It's interesting how each deaf/hh person prefers the kind of sound he/she likes.

Back