Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

saywhatkid

Huked on fonix werx!
Premium Member
Reaction score
If there was a cure, would you be "cured" of deafness?

Sometimes I wish I was hearing again and other times I like being part of the Deaf/Hoh community. It's a toss up. I voted "Not sure."

you need a poll, some people just won't take people's post too seriously. edited, never mind, I didn't see the poll at first.

Yes, have to admit I would. I was not born deaf. I lost my hearing 3 years ago after a spell in hospital. Finding work very hard so it would be nice to go back to the way I was...if someone only knew how to "fix" it.:lol:

When I was younger, I thought, what if I wake up and be suddenly cure as in perfect hearing. The thought of it actually freaked me out because I feel like it wouldn't be me.

I voted no, as this is me and I wouldn't know how to be something other.

I voted no as well. I am used to who I am now lol don't wanna change for anyone:)

The answer is no...even though I have CI, and I am still deaf whenever I take CI off. :)

It would be nice to have real hearing one day that's it...not 365 a day, or 24/7.

I voted "I would consider it..." based on my love of music. I do not miss talking and many sounds, but I really miss music. If I could just have my music, I would be good to go.

As a hearing person I put down "I don't know" cause I am not in the position. BUT as a person that has a working ability (semi-fluent) of ASL. I don't think I would have a hard time with transition.
My niece has asked me a hypothetical question of if I had the choice of becoming Blind or Deaf. I choose becoming Deaf. Part of the reason is that I am a lygo-claustrophobic. I would mourn not hearing music and my son's voice, but I don't know if I would want to be fixed.

Lygo-claustrophobic?
Lygophobia combined with claustrophobia
Irrational fear of small dark spaces
It's kinda hard to explain. I have a low to mid level claustrophobic reaction in well lit small spaces. But if the light goes out...FAGADABOUTIT! LOL I have been told that I either freak or I am a vegetable. Either way I don't remember the occasions.

Lygophobia combined with claustrophobia
Irrational fear of small dark spaces
It's kinda hard to explain. I have a low to mid level claustrophobic reaction in well lit small spaces. But if the light goes out...FAGADABOUTIT! LOL I have been told that I either freak or I am a vegetable. Either way I don't remember the occasions.

By the way, blindness isn't "seeing darkness all the time." I'd say if anything, the world seems to expand with blindness. Distances feel longer tactually than they look visually. Hopefully that should come as comfort to you. :)

By the way, blindness isn't "seeing darkness all the time." I'd say if anything, the world seems to expand with blindness. Distances feel longer tactually than they look visually. Hopefully that should come as comfort to you. :)

yes, I know that.....my father is legally blind. So I do understand the difference be tween the complete blindness and vision disturbances. But personally I'd rather have my vision than my hearing. I personally have had vision problems all my life also. I think i could deal better with loosing my hearing than my sight.

yes, I know that.....my father is legally blind. So I do understand the difference be tween the complete blindness and vision disturbances. But personally I'd rather have my vision than my hearing. I personally have had vision problems all my life also. I think i could deal better with loosing my hearing than my sight.

Makes sense. Just wanted to make sure your fear of blindness wasn't based on misinformation. :P

I would go for it right away, but I would consider the method and cost before actually going for it. I'm HOH and since I can hear pretty well with aids, I know what it is like to be able to hear if not perfect and I'd like to be able to hear without the use of aids.

I am not sure. I was born hearing fine, but was overdosed on an antibiotic in the hospital at some point within the few weeks that I stayed there after birth. That caused my hearing loss, and since then it has progressed slowly downward until recently when it has been shooting down. I love music, and it has been a part of my life forever, and I dance as well (to music, obviously). I play piano, and while I love Beethoven and admire his ability to play the piano after losing all of his hearing, I don't know if I could be that incredible. I have not heard perfectly ever, so I'm not sure if I want to experience such a change. But at the same time, I do feel like I identify better with the Deaf culture, and am learning ASL should I drop a few decibels and hear nothing really.

I would consider it, and voted that way. I miss the music! Hell, I'd be one "rocking ol' lady" if I could hear rock 'n roll again!

Back