If i don't know sign...

Ryan B

Reaction score
I am looking for a response from anyone. Again, I wear two hearing aids...never had to learn sign language nor did I ever have much incentive to learn since there is practically no deaf community within the area I live.

With this being said - I have always wondered from time to time I will see visitors passing thru the town or if I am traveling somewhere...and I see someone signing with another person...would they appreciate if i could sign too? To have others to chat with (even if for a few minutes) or would this be perceived a sympathy thing or rude?

Then again - maybe there is no need to learn sign language since I have the ability to text and have access to other social media services like facebook for communication purposes. Thoughts? If I came up to you, what would be your honest reaction? Would you want someone to approach you (who didn't know sign language at all or very well?) and try to start a conversation?

Thanks in advance for your honesty...just trying to learn.

I have been profoundly deaf since 1992 (born hearing, lost my hearing in the military) and I always welcome sign language even if the signer is just learning. I would see it as the other person doing what they can to communicate with me and that is always welcomed.

I have noticed a lot of other deaf/hoh people in my town love when people sign to them, even if the person doesn't know much. My friend just brought me to an asl class that someone started for free, there were so many more deaf and hoh people at that class too just to help the people learning. It was crazy. I think there were more deaf/hoh there just to talk than there were people learning.
Long answer short, I think everyone no matter who they are should know basic asl

I had a Deaf patient just a few days ago who was really excited that someone in the medical field was learning sign. She said she wished more people would at least try to learn.

Msister once said a customer who happened to be deaf came to her store many years ago (Pharmacy) and also signed. My sister signed back (she knows a little but not fluent). Customer was so excited and thrilled that she started signing windmill style lol (fast and all)... My poor sister had to tell her to sloooow down I don't know THAT much!

I have been profoundly deaf since 1992 (born hearing, lost my hearing in the military) and I always welcome sign language even if the signer is just learning. I would see it as the other person doing what they can to communicate with me and that is always welcomed.

Thanks Ian...I wasn't sure if it would come across wrong if I just randomly walked up to one person or a group of people to see if i could join in or help or whatever the present situation is. Like I said earlier, I do not have a relatable local population base...thanks again!

I have noticed a lot of other deaf/hoh people in my town love when people sign to them, even if the person doesn't know much. My friend just brought me to an asl class that someone started for free, there were so many more deaf and hoh people at that class too just to help the people learning. It was crazy. I think there were more deaf/hoh there just to talk than there were people learning.
Long answer short, I think everyone no matter who they are should know basic asl

Thanks (...name...) - that would be an interesting thing to experience firsthand. And I can imagine if the population group is 'thin' in most communities...I can imagine it would bring people out of the woodworks that long for conversation. Any thoughts on the social media aspect as a valid forum for communication? Or not welcomed?

Msister once said a customer who happened to be deaf came to her store many years ago (Pharmacy) and also signed. My sister signed back (she knows a little but not fluent). Customer was so excited and thrilled that she started signing windmill style lol (fast and all)... My poor sister had to tell her to sloooow down I don't know THAT much!

Hello (...name?...)...i think that is a perfect example of what I wonder...to be there...for a moment, to be of assistance...to serve...and be a vessel to help with the communication process...i would imagine it would be frustrating to just want to be heard per se...thanks again for a perfect example!

I had a Deaf patient just a few days ago who was really excited that someone in the medical field was learning sign. She said she wished more people would at least try to learn.

Hello bud...good to hear from you again...I think that is another great example from a service perspective...to be there...when someone is in need...still love how your heart is wired to help others by being active on this site to learn...i think i will be learning a lot from your example, ha!

Yes, I do like it when people sign to me even if they are just learning. Sometimes when I am out that may be the only real conversation I had with anyone. Someone who is patient and willing to have a written conversation is cool too. I had one of the longest conversations with another passenger on a flight to London - normally I don't interact with anyone on a plane. She knew some of the BSL alphabet - we reviewed it together - but mostly she was just very chatty and willing to write back and forth. We chatted for about a half hour that way. Another cool thing on that trip was one of the channels on the seat tv had H3 World so it was nice to watch some International Sign Language especially since not all of the other shows had captions.

Yes, I do like it when people sign to me even if they are just learning. Sometimes when I am out that may be the only real conversation I had with anyone. Someone who is patient and willing to have a written conversation is cool too. I had one of the longest conversations with another passenger on a flight to London - normally I don't interact with anyone on a plane. She knew some of the BSL alphabet - we reviewed it together - but mostly she was just very chatty and willing to write back and forth. We chatted for about a half hour that way. Another cool thing on that trip was one of the channels on the seat tv had H3 World so it was nice to watch some International Sign Language especially since not all of the other shows had captions.

To Zephren - another great example...that's the kind of stuff I need to hear about to help build confidence...real quick...what is special about H3 world? Remember, i know pretty much nothing about this stuff, ha! thanks again!

@Ryan B I think you'll find that the majority of deaf/hoh folks welcome the chance to converse with others.. as zephren pointed out, it may be the only conversation some of us have during the day.

@Ryan B I've noticed as a Deaf/HoH person who was never taught fluent ASL, other Deaf/HoH ASL fluent folks are very empathetic to my situation and want to help me learn. I think we can all relate to all the crazy Deaf ed we were pushed into at school and a lot of signers were at one point in an oral setting. Deaf culture is still your culture, and I have found other Deafies want to help you become involved. Most are like this with any people who are trying to learn sign and have an open mind, but I've found it especially so with other Deafies if that makes sense.

ah! You just reminded me of the flight I and an online friend of mine took to London to visit other friends of ours there. Friend was talking to flight attendant and somehow found out that he knew ASL (or worked with deaf...) so pointed him in my direction (friend was in another empty row at front-- TALL person- so more room up front lol)...I had a great time chatting with him and it helped IMMENSELY when needed... was quite pleased and happy :).

@Ryan B I think you'll find that the majority of deaf/hoh folks welcome the chance to converse with others.. as zephren pointed out, it may be the only conversation some of us have during the day.

I keep thinking about that phrase that a simple convo may be the only one a person has had that day...that has to be so isolating...idk what i would do if a day comes where i would lose the rest of my hearing even though that outcome is very probable.

@Ryan B I've noticed as a Deaf/HoH person who was never taught fluent ASL, other Deaf/HoH ASL fluent folks are very empathetic to my situation and want to help me learn. I think we can all relate to all the crazy Deaf ed we were pushed into at school and a lot of signers were at one point in an oral setting. Deaf culture is still your culture, and I have found other Deafies want to help you become involved. Most are like this with any people who are trying to learn sign and have an open mind, but I've found it especially so with other Deafies if that makes sense.

I have never been exposed to ASl...wait, I did take some lessons from someone who wanted to be a translator, but she didn't 'speak' the language like a person who was naturally fluent in it...far as the culture thing, I know I am to be a part of it...just never exposed to it...always felt like an outsider..idk if this forum or the thing on fb will bridge the gap, but its time to start connecting somehow. :)

I think most people would be happy that someone would make the effort to learn to communication with Sign.

to Nazzie...from the few weeks I have been a part of this site and another site on facebook, I see the benefit. I think for a long time, I just felt if I would approach someone who used sign exclusively...I would get their hopes built up only to crush them when they learn that I barely know anything. I still remember late one night walking thru a grocery store...a stocker noticed my hearing aids and started to sign and I was sad to tell him that I did not know...the look of sadness grew on his face that I would never forget...always stuck with me. Yet to learn it, but for some reason...I feel that I am ready.

:welcome:

As for approaching strangers to sign with them, just a word of advice.

Don't be afraid to approach someone signing but also use common sense and common courtesy. Don't interrupt a conversation already in progress. Don't feel offended if the signer doesn't want to chat. Deaf people are the same as hearing people--sometimes they're in a hurry to take care of business or sometimes they aren't in the mood to be chatty. Don't take a rebuff too personally. Also, be prepared for the occasional signing jokester. Just keep a sense of humor about you. :)

Finally, be careful about "helping." Some people appreciate it and some might take offense. Be ready and willing if you feel your skill level is up to par, and if the other person is truly needing help. Don't just assume that they need you--ask first.

Don't quit. :)

to Reba...i appreciate your honesty and insight...i think some of the points are exactly the fears or concerns that i have had in the past...on the other hand, i have yet to really approach someone since i don't know sign language...well, i guess that's not totally true...there is one family in my town...i tried to connect...in the moment, they were eager to chat...if i knew sign...i asked if they would help teach me, then they seemed to back off...i have made a few attempts to connect via facebook, but no luck...so i just move forward...but for now, i am trying to educate myself...again, your insight were the very things i questioned

in regards to the 'helping' thing...i guess i saw it more of an opportunity to make a small world...seem less small...maybe that is wrong for me to think that way...thoughts? or is perceived negative? i am open to insight

Back