If hearing family or freinds make you feel left out what would you do ?

Ig hearing family or friends make u feel left out what would you do ?

• you may repies

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • you may attachments

• you may edit your post

• Total voters

RosesNY

Reaction score
I am only deaf in my family, I always feel left out all the time. and i always try to fit in with my family or hearing freinds. my hearing freinds sometimes they say to me they don't know what say to me. and they say how can i talk to you. I been hear that many times... I am very good lips reader and won't give up what they say to me. i just wonder what would you do about it ?:D

if i get left out.. I'll try to get some attention. If not work, I do something for myself then bother them again when I feel desire to involve into something. :D

hmm... the poll thingy doesn't make a sense... but for family gathering families and blah I'll just be quiet and look at time to go home lol same with family vacations ;) I never like really be around my family but they expect me to change but that never will happen heh :D

If they make me feel left out, I just ignore them and join other group or something (if possible). If can't, I just leave the room and do whatever I like to keep myself busy. If in a resturant or a public place, I just simply ignore them and look "outside" of my group (like watching people walking by or chatting to each other)

Sometimes, I have a lot of patience and do my best to feel involved. Right now, I don't have that much problem anymore, because I have my boys to look after, and a deaf husband, so we communicate to each other if we feel left out. :)

if im around hearies i tend to feel left out -- especially at family get togethers :roll: -- i usually just ignore them cuz im TIRED of having to *tap tap tap* either my mom's or sister's shoulder asking them to tell me whats going on and they often reply with "ohh sorry im talking can i tell u abt it later qq" and knowing them they will not get back to me on that either :roll: and that DOES piss the hell out of me and ive once told mom bluntly that i consider my Deaf pals my "family" period she :shock: ask WHYYYYY i told her specifically cuz there communication! and i can be involved with all chatters going on and not feel left out she pretty much :-x

I have watched my family's behavior disintergate into the worse possible people to have for a family, they don't sign and they don't inculde me in any of the family converstation. I Decided then and there im more with my deaf family, they knew and understood my feelings about this and respected me, i wished theywould see how i felt my mom got that taste not to long ago but does it *impact her* no it doesn t just thinks it's nothing to me and to my feeling. forget that!!!!! * looking forweard to being around other deaf poeple!*

If I'm being left out, I'll try to get attention, but if not, I'll keep myself busy with my kids or excuse myself from the table and go outside for fresh air. :)

If I am being left out, I ask them constantly "What are you saying?" and then after a while, I start signing to them to annoy them. Sometimes I just walk away to outside or my room to do stuff. I never excuse myself, because if they are rude enough for not including me, then I have the right to leave the group rudely.

i have been a black sheep in my family for all my life. they treated me little different than my brother since i am deaf. we always misunderstand each others. my family have no communication with me except my brother. i have no love for my parents but respect them as my "masters." i consider my brother as my "true" family. i feel like i born in wrong family. i feel that i should get out of the family and disunify them.

I kept on asking myself when I was living on my own, if it was really worthy to go home and visit my family for holidays, as I know I would be left out. So I started to stop going to every holiday stuff, like Easter and Thanksgiving, and did stuff with my friends instead. My mum got angry, but I told her "I know I would be left out, as I would be in my room or whatever, so it's better I do my own thing." She didn't appreciate my reponse, but oh well...

Originally posted by kuifje75
If I am being left out, I ask them constantly "What are you saying?" and then after a while, I start signing to them to annoy them. Sometimes I just walk away to outside or my room to do stuff. I never excuse myself, because if they are rude enough for not including me, then I have the right to leave the group rudely.

i do the VERY exact same thing leaving the table rudely without excusing myself

When I don't understand the convo in my family, I usually ask either my mom or my sister. My mom usually don't mind telling me what was going on. If I am not in mood to be involved, I often read a book that makes me feel like I am in "other world".

not really...

at least, I create my own private forums for member of family only!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Therefore, I able to keep in touch than rather doing thru email. Boy, it was so annoying and hard to track each other's communicate.

I get the same thing from my family. My mom instead of talking normal, she talks with her teeth. Like she's trying too hard to talk. I told her I can't read teeth. I keep telling her I'm trying to lip read. She gets mad. None of my so called friends talk to me either. I'm nothing but an inconvience for them. I have my boyfriend,who is very patient and understanding.

jeez being at the family gatherings sucks.. too many people around and i cant keep track of what everyone said .. so lost interestin in that and i would just go off and walk around look at flowers or whtever.. sighs..

If i get left out, i walk away from my families or friends. Until they notice i am not there. Then they start ask questions why i left the room etc...I tell them straight to their face that they are leaving me out and that they are selfish etc...then they start to apologise!!

:( Yeah, it's sad. My husband is the only deaf member of his family. His parent's, siblings never learned to sign. They will have family gatherings all the time. Thanksgiving, Christmas, cookouts, etc.

I interpret everything they are saying, so at least he won't feel left out, but, then he feels bad that I have to do the interpreting, where they don't have the respect that he is deaf, he is part of the this family, and they go on talking while I interpret, and think it's nothing.

When he has had enough, he will go to the living room and watch TV and I follow him in there. I interpret more of what I can hear in the other room. When he gets bored, he goes home. I can't blame him.

It's really ashame when his family members don't get it, and cannot learn to sign for him and make him feel like a member of this family. He doesn't let it bother him anymore. That is the sad part.

For me, I've stopped going to my realtives houses for family things.. my aunts, uncles, and cousins doesn't bother to talk to me... so I usually get together with friends or stay home, like last 4th of July I decided to work at the Capitol then off to be with friends having fun at Taste of Minnesota.. that is simple...I am not sure if they bother to notice I am gone- thats their problem because they exculdes me from what they are doing.... If its my grandparent's house, I would hang out with my grandparent not others... If my realtives come over to my house, I just simply ignore them, mind my own business...

Back