If CIs didnt involve surgery...

If CIs didnt involve surgery...

I would run and get the CI now!!!!

Great. Can you tell us what happens to the ones who fall through the cracks and the percentage they comprise of the whole?

Yea, I am interested to know about what happens to those at her school.

Yea, I am interested to know about what happens to those at her school.

Me, too. And the old claim about the CI students that are most successful are the ones who have the most parental involvement---that can be said for any sutdent-hearing or d/D/hh, and of any racial or ethnic background. Therefore, it cannot be used as validation because it proves nothing specific to the d/hh student.

Throwing the audist card.... Was that really nessasary?

Yes it was necessary to explain the only situation in which the connection would be made.

Children learn to speak by imitation from their surroundings, with this they produce speech wich allows them to ask questions and learn / be educated.

Children have receptive language skills long before they develop expressive language skills. Failure to understand this produces convoluted logic.

Education can also come with sign, but that doesn't make the above wrong !

No, it doesn't make it wrong--simply incomplete.

Great. Can you tell us what happens to the ones who fall through the cracks and the percentage they comprise of the whole?

I can honestly tell you that my personal students and my children do not fall through the cracks. I have learned that I cannot control everything so I focus on what I can do like my own children and my students.
I currently have 5 students and 4 of them will be oral. My one student that I think will not, I am beginning to tell parents. As you know some parents are just not ready for this information. The only thing I can do is keep talking and not pressuring them because then they will just shut down.
Of the CI's that don't make there are so many reasons why they don't but if everything is in place then most of them will make it orally if everything is in place such being implant at a younger age, being in a language enrich envirnoment, having someone train parents on what to do at home eith a teacher or AVT or speech therapist. Having good language models around. And making sure that parents take their children to audiologist on a regular bases. And mostly have parents who can spend the time at home with them. Parents sometime get in therapy mode but parents need they need to do language activities in a natural envirnoment and with what the child is in interersted in.

Me, too. And the old claim about the CI students that are most successful are the ones who have the most parental involvement---that can be said for any sutdent-hearing or d/D/hh, and of any racial or ethnic background. Therefore, it cannot be used as validation because it proves nothing specific to the d/hh student.

Why can't parent involvement be throw in if that is what makes the biggest difference in whatever approach you take. You are right race or income doesn't matter. It matter what the parents do. When we first started we had no money, we lived in small apt and barely made by but it was important for me to be at home. I have seen 3 kids not be very successful with the implant. One the device fail, and one from a spanish speaking home where no English was spoken, and the other thought the implant was a miracle. In my experience about 85% success rate but that just in what I have come across.
My most successful family is hispanic low income and spanish speaking but mom is learning English is always in my class. At first she use to make me feel wierd because she would repeat everything I said but then I realize that she is repeating so she can learn it.

Why can't parent involvement be throw in if that is what makes the biggest difference in whatever approach you take. You are right race or income doesn't matter. It matter what the parents do. When we first started we had no money, we lived in small apt and barely made by but it was important for me to be at home. I have seen 3 kids not be very successful with the implant. One the device fail, and one from a spanish speaking home where no English was spoken, and the other thought the implant was a miracle. In my experience about 85% success rate but that just in what I have come across.
My most successful family is hispanic low income and spanish speaking but mom is learning English is always in my class. At first she use to make me feel wierd because she would repeat everything I said but then I realize that she is repeating so she can learn it.

You misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was that you can take any group and when comparing academic achievement, parental involvement is the variable that will correlate to higher achievement levels. In other words, if you are comparing lower SES to higher SES, the kids in the lower SES will have higher achievement scores when they also have higher levels of parental involvement. Same with CI and non-CI groups, or HA, and non-HA groups, or any other way you choose to sub-divide. In other words, it is not the CI itsel;f that is responsible for higher achievement, but the parental involvement. It is a confounding variable.

I can honestly tell you that my personal students and my children do not fall through the cracks. I have learned that I cannot control everything so I focus on what I can do like my own children and my students.
I currently have 5 students and 4 of them will be oral. My one student that I think will not, I am beginning to tell parents. As you know some parents are just not ready for this information. The only thing I can do is keep talking and not pressuring them because then they will just shut down.
Of the CI's that don't make there are so many reasons why they don't but if everything is in place then most of them will make it orally if everything is in place such being implant at a younger age, being in a language enrich envirnoment, having someone train parents on what to do at home eith a teacher or AVT or speech therapist. Having good language models around. And making sure that parents take their children to audiologist on a regular bases. And mostly have parents who can spend the time at home with them. Parents sometime get in therapy mode but parents need they need to do language activities in a natural envirnoment and with what the child is in interersted in.

And if the same things are done with a childthat uses HA, you will see the same level of improvement.

You misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was that you can take any group and when comparing academic achievement, parental involvement is the variable that will correlate to higher achievement levels. In other words, if you are comparing lower SES to higher SES, the kids in the lower SES will have higher achievement scores when they also have higher levels of parental involvement. Same with CI and non-CI groups, or HA, and non-HA groups, or any other way you choose to sub-divide. In other words, it is not the CI itsel;f that is responsible for higher achievement, but the parental involvement. It is a confounding variable.

I agree parental involvement is the variable that is hard to quantify but empirically obvious in terms of impact on a child's development.

But I do want to further clarify that for a child that CI truly benefits, it will have its own impact that raises a child's ability. I should know as my HA did that for me growing up. Of course, there are other factors to consider but never negate a "tool's" ability to be the "make or break it" aspect and gives that child a chance they wouldn't have otherwise. I mean that in the context of having more information (about the world around them) than they would have without it (HA/CI). All things being equal, having measurable hearing that benefits is better than not having enough or not at all in the general scheme of things. I can say that from personal experience...

Personally for me, the potential benefit to go through the surgery to get a CI outweighs the risk. If you have done your research on the facility and the doctor and could find the confidence in them to do their job properly, which is what I have done. It has convinced me enough to go ahead with it. I rather not go through life missing anymore then what I already am. Besides, I noticed that you have kids, from what I hear childbirth is the most god awful painful thing you can ever go through. I understand that you had a very traumatic experience but it wouldn't hurt to maybe reconsider it in the future when the memory of your previous episode is not so fresh.

Personally for me, the potential benefit to go through the surgery to get a CI outweighs the risk. If you have done your research on the facility and the doctor and could find the confidence in them to do their job properly, which is what I have done. It has convinced me enough to go ahead with it. I rather not go through life missing anymore then what I already am. Besides, I noticed that you have kids, from what I hear childbirth is the most god awful painful thing you can ever go through. I understand that you had a very traumatic experience but it wouldn't hurt to maybe reconsider it in the future when the memory of your previous episode is not so fresh.

It wasnt childbirth that was traumatic..it was my arm surgery that was when the pain meds didnt work at all. I guess maybe I dont feel like I am really missing out on life simply because I cant hear is probably why I am not really interested in getting a CI. Just wanted to try it and see if I like it or not but because it involves surgery and so much other factors, not gonna work for me.

Back