If a cashier gave you too much change would you be honest?

Honest or not?

• I'd go back and give the money back

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • I'd keep the money, their mistake isn't my problem

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Depends on which grocery!

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
18 members says: I'd go back and give the money back
10 members says: I'd keep the money, their mistake isn't my problem

:shock: We have 10 greedy, selfish, un-honest members on AD who's doing the wrong thing.

;) We have 18 honest and good members on AD who's doing the right thing.

This is just to show me how many trusting ADers on this site.

Do u honestly think you and 18 are so being honest with us here on Ad? I do not think so, no such thing as a perfect honest people everywhere. U judged them, tsk tsk.

Do u honestly think you and 18 are so being honest with us here on Ad? I do not think so, no such thing as a perfect honest people everywhere. U judged them, tsk tsk.

Where did I said that we were perfect honest people?

People who thinks for themselves not doing what's right by saving a cashier employee the trip of the possibility of getting fired, or pay back what was short from their paycheck, even if they have a family of their own. How could someone live with the fact that they took the over-paid money from a person who might is struggling with a family. I wouldn't be able to live with that, would you? :)

I vote none because I don't have experience like that... :dunno:

That's absolute correct.

God is saying *psst* Do the right thing, give the money back, be a honest citizen.

Satan is saying *psst* keep it, it's the crazy cashier's error, go and run off with money *devil crackling with horns*

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: funny...

Once I found 20 bucks on the floor

It was happened to me before. I found between €1 coins and €10 notes on the floor. Who should I give to? Nobody but keep it. *shrug*

I found few credit, debit cards with notes in wallet on the floor in supermarket once and gave it back to the manager. Few minutes later, the manager went to me and said "come with me"... I was like :confused: I thought they want me to write down the form what and how I found... I am surprised to see a lady with relieved impression there with wallet. She don't know how much she thank me.. I told her to care of her wallet careful... She laugh with mixed cried... and surprised that the manager gave me a bottle of wine. :eek3:

it happen to me once, I keep that because no record of proof if it mine or their.

I was in hurry and drove a hour.. but do I need drive back to store where I went? No point.

Lot of companies has no claims of money i would say about up to 1,000 dollar a year with no claim a year.. and use those no claims money to cover that mistake and no big deal about that part.

If you know they didn't count well and keep same person to try advantage of that.. possible cashier is FBI is testing on people to keep coming back.. ehh

possible cashier is FBI is testing on people to keep coming back.. ehh

:eek3:

Well, the cashier should watch and correct the change instead of accuse the customers as cheater. It's manager who is responsible because he/she choose to trust the cashiers.

Accord my son, who will leave school next year. He was at Job Center for an interview with his school reports last month. All what the lady add % on computer to see which right job for my son and gave him the list of offer which job is suitable for him. Guess what... job list for who is good with mathematics... Cashier, Salemen, Shop Assistant who sell the clothes, etc. etc. etc. and English for etc. etc. etc. German for etc. etc. etc. I was like :eek3: and realized that they requires anyone who are good with mathematic if they want job as cashier... Thru the list, I understand that if anyone who want the job as the cashier MUST correct the change and know the changes...

I gotta step up here about the issue...

I work in Accounting Dept in cash office in Sam's Club. Our office (including me) usually write up a pink slip to cashiers average up to 5 time a week, sometime more or sometime less or even none. Pink slip doesn't mean that cashier will get fired or get money out of their paycheck. That isn't honesty and they work hard to get their paycheck. However, if this incident happen too often with a same cashier, that cashier would get a warning and/or a probation including retraining to make sure they are doing a right thing. If nothing changes with the continuous shortage in their cashier drawer/bag. They will either get termiated or have them change the positions by following the policy.

Another issue regarding lost wallet, purses, glasses, personal book, etc. If we can find their membership card, we contact them right away to come and pick it up. Otherwise if their phone is in the "Do Not Call" list then there is nothing we can do about it until they come to the store and requested for their lost item. Our office usually hold them for a month. If no one claim their item, we usually emptied the wallet or purse out and have the management to shred the cards or take the purse to the proper locked trash place where people is impossible to get into the trash. While emptying the wallets or purses, we usually take the money out and use it for CMN fund which is called "Children Miracle Network" fund. Of Course we do keep a note of the appearance of the item such as wallet, purse, etc and put down in the amount that we send to CMN fund. If somebody claimed their item couple months later but found it was already destroyed, if they remember the amount they have in their item, we pay them out of our office with our boss's approval

I just remembered a very strange incident a long time ago. I was traveling with some friends and we stopped at a gas station. I used the restroom and I found an envelope full of 20s. I was like :eek3: and soooo tempted to keep it cuz that would mean more spending money for the trip. However, I just couldnt so I informed the cashier what I found and u know what he said? He said "Finders keepers...u keep it. It is the person's problem that they werent responsible for being careful with their money." Of course, being a kid, I seized the opportunity to have more money and be guilt free. I think it was like over $200 in that envelope. Later on, I ended up feeling guilty anyway. Oh well...

when i was little, my brother and i were playing in the phone booth at the hospital where my grandmother was having surgery. i found an envelope with several hundred dollars in it. my grandpa took the envelope and hunted down the owner. she was so pleased to have the money back, as that was her disability check for the month and all she had to live on.

then, several years ago, the cashier at my bank, accidentally miscounted and gave me back over $500 too much. i immediately let her know and handed the money back. she turned bright red, and was obviously embarrassed, but thanked me.

a couple years ago, my dad found a purse in the middle of the street. looked in the wallet and got the woman's name and address off her driver's license. he returned the purse and wallet with nearly $1000 in it.

i think we learn our morals from our parents.

one way to hunt down the owner of a wallet/purse, is to call the credit card company and give them the credit card number and have them contact the owner and set up a place to meet. OR you can always turn the items in to the police.

HI there,

I was at the transit train station, I saw a someone's lost money on the platform floor, but no one takes a money and then I moved my wheelchair to hold money till a rider came to me, pick up and gave me to keep it.. it's was 20 dollars lost at the transit train station lol.

At the holiday station store, I paid a cash and I waited for change back to me, the manager stand next to cashier, I say "where's the 3 dollars back to me?", manager told him give the 3 dollars back to me. the manager watched for cashier probationary as hired a job to work with them.

Once I found a woman's purse (handbag) in the seat of a shopping cart, in the Walmart parking lot. I took the purse back into the store and turned it in. I don't know what happened to it.

Hubby and I found an ATM card still in the drive-up machine, and still processing. We could have cleaned out that account. But we saw the car pulling off a little ahead of us, and were able to catch up with them, and give them their card.

The weirdest thing was finding a man's wallet (including ID and other cards inside), wrapped in the insulation blanket around our water heater in the garage. Hubby took it to the police.

i'm just glad to know that according to this poll, the majority of us are HONEST

Hey Shel- that was MY $200 you spent that I left in the bathroom! :lol: just kidding.

I voted that I would return the money to the cashier. I remember finding a wallet at school with cash in it, I took it to the office and the teacher who it belonged to came and found me and gave me $20 for my honesty. So that day honesty paid off, :D

Where did I said that we were perfect honest people?

People who thinks for themselves not doing what's right by saving a cashier employee the trip of the possibility of getting fired, or pay back what was short from their paycheck, even if they have a family of their own. How could someone live with the fact that they took the over-paid money from a person who might is struggling with a family. I wouldn't be able to live with that, would you? :)
Someone stole 500 hundred dollars out of my bank account a year ago, and they are most crook and dishonest compare to what u called them, selfish and greedy. Do u care what was happened to me? Not at all. It is called, a life. we all have to deal waith it and learn from it. Sh*t happened. With my job I deal with my customers' $$ for stamps and other stuffs. Often they gave me pennies for stamps and I ended up had to pay few cents because I lost few of them on way back to PO. Did I cry over it, no it was my responsible and I knew the risk. Soon I will start carry stamps with me on the route and if I made some mistake with counting then I pay for it out of my pocket. It is part of job. Anyone who has job with money then they take risk of mismanage it and they know it.

Yesterday I went to the store, the clerk charged me 68 cents per pound on banana when she should have charged me 58 cents per pound and I do not correct her. It was no big deal if it was 10 cents more than it should. It goes circle, if they gave me some change more than it should which I most of time don't bother to count them or look at them. Does it make me dishonest? U decide for one I do not care cuz I loathe people who judge others. How often do I had to pay customers out of my pocket? Too many time. That is my problem, not yours or anyone. It is called part of job, we will always make mistake and will try not to do it next time. It is called learning process.

I wonder about this waitress we went few weeks ago, if she had to pay 10 meals at restuarant one night after the customers got mad and walked out of the restaurant without pay the meals. Did she had to pay 10 meals for them, You bet because she asked for it. She did not gave us meals two hours later and it was cold. I could not do that to her, walk out on her but we swallowed and ate it (yuck) then we paid for it. We will never go back there ever again. We would not be dishonest with her.

Someone stole 500 hundred dollars out of my bank account a year ago, and they are most crook and dishonest compare to what u called them, selfish and greedy. Do u care what was happened to me?

Of course I care. I'm so sorry it had happened to you, and it shouldn't. :hug:

It happened to me twice, an ex boyfriend wipe out my banking account, and he never got caught but his girlfriend was caught, she was much a part of it, she knew what he was doing, and she agrees to use that money to buy two cellular phones under my name with my banking account routine number. My signature did not matched so the money was refund back in my banking account.

I had lost 1,000.00 in cash also at another time that money fell out of my pocket and someone decide to keep it for themselves. that money was to pay my bills with, I worked so hard for that money and I was stupid enough to carried it in my pocket instead of putting it in my purse. I screwed up, a lesson was learned, but it doesn't give anyone a right to decide to keep money that doesn't even belongs to them. I'm not even like that, It's somebody's money, somebody worked their buns off to earn that money. That money could go toward their bills, their children, their house mortgage etc. this is what I called those people who decide to keep the money are greedy people who only thinks of themselves.

Back