Identity

Ania (Poland)

Reaction score
Hi all!

I know that maybe I shouldn’t be asking that, but would you mind doing me a little favour?

I know that it sometimes annoys you that students come here and ask a lot of questions, and I understand that reaction. Unfortunately, I am a student, I’m writing a paper on Deaf culture, and there is something that I would like to ask you about... But... before I do, I want you to know that I’ve done some research on Deaf culture, and I’m still doing it, and I’m not expecting you to do my homework or anything like that. I would just like to get some information, and I thought that, at least in this case, it would be a good idea to ask you about your opinions.

The thing is that some time ago I’ve watched “Sound and Fury” (probably some of you have seen it too), and it made me think about many issues. One of them is identity. I mean, when I think about my identity, it’s pretty simple – I’m a Pole, I’m proud of it, and I identify with Polish culture. At least that is he first thing that comes to my mind. There are other people or things that I identify with (like people who read the same books, listen to the same music as I do, or people who speak English – because I study English.) But I guess that the feeling that I’m a Pole is the strongest part of my identity. And, I was wondering how do you feel about your identity. Culturally Deaf people identify with Deaf culture and with the Deaf community, but since most of you, I guess, lives in the US, what do you think about being American? I mean, do you identify with Deaf culture or American culture first? Or maybe with both equally? Or maybe some other option? I do realize that it is simplifying things a good deal, because a person’s sense of identity is a very complex phenomenon. But if some of you could share their opinions that would be great. :ty:

I definitely don't identify with American culture (I'm Australian), however, I believe that if I were to visit America, I would identify with the Deaf culture there, because they are good at communication (In my experience, because they use body language, facial expression, etc), and often share many things in common - these could be lifestyle (have a job in the day, without sign - meet people after, and then use sign, which is a totally different language), jokes (many hearing jokes are incomprehensible), religion, parents attitudes to deafness, how one interacts with hearing people, etc.

Ultimately, it all boils down to "Who does one connect to?"

I definitely don't identify with American culture (I'm Australian), however, I believe that if I were to visit America, I would identify with the Deaf culture there, because they are good at communication (In my experience, because they use body language, facial expression, etc), and often share many things in common - these could be lifestyle (have a job in the day, without sign - meet people after, and then use sign, which is a totally different language), jokes (many hearing jokes are incomprehensible), religion, parents attitudes to deafness, how one interacts with hearing people, etc.

Ultimately, it all boils down to "Who does one connect to?"

Thanks for that answer :)

Nobody else is willing to write something, so I suppose I must have asked a stupid question. Sorry (I headslapped myself for that), it will never happen again.

That wasn't a stupid question! It made me think(which doesn't happen very often, LOL). Well, I'd say I feel like I'm equally both. People will usually recognize my race first and then my deafness. I'm a deaf American :) I have both national and deaf pride. Like the above poster said, it kind of also depends on where we are the and situation. In a foreign country, I'll like to think that "I'm an American". But instead of with hearing people, I like to think that I am deaf when I am around other deaf or hoh people.

Not really stupid at all. It makes a person think is all.

I am American, but for the most part, I am a child of G_d, I am loved for who I am and I accept who I am. I am a lover of literature, mythology and classical music. First and foremost is my Christianity.

Definition of Identity from thefreedictionary.com website

i·den·ti·ty
n. pl. i·den·ti·ties
1. The collective aspect of the set of characteristics by which a thing is definitively recognizable or known: "If the broadcast group is the financial guts of the company, the news division is its public identity" (Bill Powell).
2. The set of behavioral or personal characteristics by which an individual is recognizable as a member of a group.
3. The quality or condition of being the same as something else.
4. The distinct personality of an individual regarded as a persisting entity; individuality.
5. Information, such as an identification number, used to establish or prove a person's individuality, as in providing access to a credit account.
6. Mathematics
a. An equation that is satisfied by any number that replaces the letter for which the equation is defined.
b. Identity element.

I personally choose #4.

I am hearing but I don't see my identity as "hearing": I am also a halfbreed but I don't see my identity as either Native American Indian, White, or halfbreed. I identify with many things in Deaf Culture but that is not my identity. I am part of the ASL signing community, but while that may be considered part of my persona it is not my identity.

A celebrity (Wish I could remember who) said: "I don't want to spend my life being a color."

I'm English but my grandparents were Scottish and Irish, I've allways felt at home in all three countries, I think being HOH is just something I have to put up with. Kevin.

I personally choose #4.

I am hearing but I don't see my identity as "hearing": I am also a halfbreed but I don't see my identity as either Native American Indian, White, or halfbreed. I identify with many things in Deaf Culture but that is not my identity. I am part of the ASL signing community, but while that may be considered part of my persona it is not my identity.

A celebrity (Wish I could remember who) said: "I don't want to spend my life being a color."

Hey Berry, I remember seeing that line in some Michael Jackson lyrics. That song "Dont matter if your black or white"

Anyhow, I like my identity. I am american man too, but I like to indentify with normal pop culture, hispanic culture, and deaf culture. My identity is hybrid but its ME :)

My mother is English, my father NZ, I was born in Thailand, grew up in Australia, graduated from a US school, married an Asian and I am the only deaf in a hearing family both my childhood family and my current family with my husband and kids. I am also Christian.

I am who I am. I am proud to be Christian and am proud to be deaf. Both of which define the person I am today.

I personally choose #4.

I think that was Michael Jackson @ color quote....

I am more comfortable of who I am and what I want to be. I love being Deaf and not show any shame of it. Also I am content and identify with being Cree (North America Native). I love to type on computer and in spite of my old age, I still want to look for a job in Office work , part time. That is who I am with my very own identification. :)

From my deaf culture classes, we were taught (by a Deaf teacher too) that depending on how someone introduces themselves shows how they identify themselves in Deaf Culture. It can be their race, hobbies, etc

For example, we watch a movie about Gallaudet and this African American women introduced herself and said " Hi I'm (name here). I'm a black deaf women. She then went on saying that black comes first in her introduction cause that is the culture that is #1 to her, then the deaf culture, then her women rights.

Next we met a man who said "I am a Deaf irish American." Deaf, then irsh, last american"

In my interpreting class we were told to use this to help us set up our interpreting schema so that we know how to interpret for a deaf person cause you always want to interpret something into their culture.

make sense? it is a little confusing, but even I. King Jordan introduces himself by culture ratings. It can also be the same with hobbies (music movies etc) Bernard Bragg introduces himself as a Deaf Actor. Deaf culture first, then the acting culture (cause all groups have a culture associated with them)

Back