Ideas on how to get honest, unbais opinions of ones writing?

chickenscottish.jpg

I would actually go about getting poems published via contests, and you seem to make more money that way. I am currently finishing up my first book! Don't worry everyone ill sign you each a copy when my editor calls and says "ITS A GO" LOL my publisher really likes it so I am soooo pleased!

Your bill will be $599,000.99 Please send me your check in the mail with your invoice so that we can approve it for the marketing. Thank you. Web

:wave:Feeling unsure? I think you need to tell your closest friends and family your plan then tell them need honest truth, "Good enough for hobby?" or "Good enough to professional publish?" Next to always get second and third opinion from publishers because not everyone likes the same types af art, my art and my poems are very dark and some people find it depressing but others find them amazing. Some publisher will maybe known by book store for just your type of poetry so you need to try several places before you lose hope, don't let them tear you down!:D I do believe that your closest frinds and family is your best bet to begin if you think they will support you in your new venture, good luck!:ty::cool2:

:wave:Feeling unsure? I think you need to tell your closest friends and family your plan then tell them need honest truth, "Good enough for hobby?" or "Good enough to professional publish?" Next to always get second and third opinion from publishers because not everyone likes the same types af art, my art and my poems are very dark and some people find it depressing but others find them amazing. Some publisher will maybe known by book store for just your type of poetry so you need to try several places before you lose hope, don't let them tear you down!:D I do believe that your closest frinds and family is your best bet to begin if you think they will support you in your new venture, good luck!:ty::cool2:

*Grins* Just a little. I will try to make them understand how important it is that they are honest. The people I would show them to are very loving, though, and I seriously doubt they would ever really trash anything I wrote even if it was obviously terrible. I don't even know how to begin, I don't know where to find publishers, and I don't know how to copyright stuff, ect and ect. I'm glad to know that you write poetry. My mother insists some of my stuff is depressing, but I really don't think it is, and it isn't what I would call dark. I to derive a lot of my inspiration from nature, as it were.

Did some quick search for you, I found type in google "copyright registration" then go to Basics of copyright by About.com, and you can also go to website Writing-World.com for publishing basics and steps to take, hope that will get you started on your new road. I do realize your friends and family never criticize your work but important they tell EXACTLY their opinion about hobby or publish I don't know them but sure they can do that for you, I don't think they would embarass you because they love you! Your toughest critic is yourself and you need to beat the critic and believe in your ability! I have some art in my album if you like to stop by, luck luck luck...Later:cool2:

Did some quick search for you, I found type in google "copyright registration" then go to Basics of copyright by About.com, and you can also go to website Writing-World.com for publishing basics and steps to take, hope that will get you started on your new road. I do realize your friends and family never criticize your work but important they tell EXACTLY their opinion about hobby or publish I don't know them but sure they can do that for you, I don't think they would embarass you because they love you! Your toughest critic is yourself and you need to beat the critic and believe in your ability! I have some art in my album if you like to stop by, luck luck luck...Later:cool2:

For fiction, the best thing to do is join a critique group. Threre are probably crit groups for poetry as well.

Most writers don't make enough money to support themselves. Sorry, but it's true. There are the few, the Stehphen King's, the John Grishams, the Nora Roberts, but few make enough to pay the bills. And if your name is Sarah Palin, you may get a big payday from a publisher, but most writers don't make a living.

And for poets it is even more difficult. We are not a nation of poetry readers. Yet there is something wonderful and transportive about a poem.

There are many markets for these things. A lot of online ezines. No, you probably won't get paid. I had one poem published in The Shine Journal. They have become a "paying" market. I think they pay $5 per poem or short story they publish. I'm sure there are others. It's a token but it's something.

Here's the link for them:

The Shine Journal - Archives 2007

Good luck!

Back