ideas for medical bracelet

frankiesmom

Reaction score
i am getting frankie a medical bracelet to wear for school..mainly because i want to make sure that someone doesnt try force feeding him or anything else.

this is the one i am thinking of getting: https://secure.10foldsolutions.com/ecommerce/stores/lifejewelry/view_product.php?category_key=2090&product_number=15449&session_id=

the thing is, you only have 2 lines with 18 characters per line. how can i convey the fact that he has hearing loss, cant eat solid food because he cant chew, and is delayed with that much space?? i am usually pretty creative but i am not coming up with much.

Cute! :)

So the engraving is on the back side, then?

As for hearing loss, I would already shorten that to just "DEAF" as that only takes 4 letters. I don't think it matters at this point how much hearing loss there is. It's enough to inform anyone that there is a hearing loss of any kind.

"Can't eat solid food" -- shorten to "EATS NO SOLIDS" ?

"DEAF. EATS NO" would fit on one line (13 including the . and spaces), and "SOLIDS" on the next line. Not sure what words are appropriate for the delayed part, unless "DELAYED" is enough. In which case, "SOLIDS. DELAYED" would all fit.

I hope some of this helps! :)

i thought deaf meant completely unable to hear? i thought of that but wasnt sure..
that would work then because he can kind of hear..i mean you have to be screaming your head off for him to notice..which is why i bang my foot on the floor or touch his shoulder to get his attention. no solid food would work and then delayed!
perfect...thank you!! i have been racking my brain over this all morning.

I like it too. But I would group the ideas a little differently.

"DEAF. DELAYED.
EATS NO SOLIDS."

Since "eats no solids" is actually the most crucial and life-saving/threatening condition, I would not want to separate the words that convey that warning. In fact might be a good idea to put that on the first line, and the "DEAF. DELAYED." on the second line.

You're welcome! :)

Deaf doesn't have to mean completely unable to hear. Not at all. I consider myself deaf (and Deaf :) ) but I still wear HAs and can hear some sound with them. I just definitely don't have enough hearing or enough communication ease to call myself hard-of-hearing with the HAs.

I like it too. But I would group the ideas a little differently.

"DEAF. DELAYED.
EATS NO SOLIDS."

Since "eats no solids" is actually the most crucial and life-saving/threatening condition, I would not want to separate the words that convey that warning. In fact might be a good idea to put that on the first line, and the "DEAF. DELAYED." on the second line.

That's even better! :)

i wonder if they will know what delayed means though..i had never heard of it being called developmentally delayed until all of this happened.

They might not know what areas he's delayed in, but hopefully anyone reading that bracelet would have the common sense to exercise caution. That's why I wasn't sure if there was a more appropriate word. Is there an area he's significantly delayed in, more than others, that is of concern to you that others need to look out for?

The "delayed" part doesn't really matter so much. Anyone who thinks about it for a second will figure it out.

The "EATS NO SOLIDS" is crucial, potentially life-threatening, and really needs to hit anyone reading that bracelet front and center, as the thing of foremost importance.

good point and you are right!! because it definitely could be life threatening..he cant even get the offending piece of food out of his mouth on his own either, i have to get it out..which is gross but necessary.

also...and i know there are mixed feelings on these but..my town approved a deaf child at play sign for him! they are putting it up in 2-3 weeks! yay!
we have no sidewalks whatsoever so maybe it will alert the idiot atv riders that go up and down our block. *hopefully*

I think those signs are a great idea, personally. There was one in the subdivision just down the hill from us for years and years - I suspect long after said deaf child was no longer a child, and possibly even after he/she had graduated from high school. If it slowed down traffic, that could only be a good thing.

One other thing I thought of:

I have a friend who has a daughter who has multiple life-threatening issues. I do not recall if she has a bracelet like the one you're considering, but she found a woman who could -- I can't think of the right term here .. it's what I would call an embroidered towel - you see the big letters "A" or whatever on a towel? What is that called? -- sew, in tiny letters, onto tags that were eventually sewed onto all her daughter's clothes. In the same place, on the back of a shirt, shorts, pants, etc. where you normally would see the brand tags. Same idea as when you go to summer camp and you write your kid's last name on the tags of all the sleeping bags, pillowcases, etc. so they don't get mixed with everyone else's.

Now, of course, that effectiveness is dependent on someone thinking to look at the tags, but it might be a nice back-up, and with room to add more information. She found this woman through CraigsList and had a few hundred sewn up (I think once it is programmed into a embroidery/sewing machine, it's supposedly a piece of cake to run them all off at one time) and not for a terribly expensive cost.

Just food for thought ..

i thought of that, and i also thought of these other medical bracelets that look more like jewelry, but if i were a caregiver..i wouldnt even notice it if it didnt stand out some, if that makes sense. some of those bracelets are just beautiful works of art!!

Back