I will post this again

Cochlear implants aren't for everyone, but I have a friend whose entire family (including him) has progressive hearing loss. He started to lose his hearing around age 20. He certainly could have lived his life with ASL since most of his family is deaf and so is his wife. He chose to get an implant and, for him, it was a perfect fit. He already knew what most sounds sounded like, so he was able to adjust easily. Now, he's bilaterally implanted (both ears) and loves it.

I know it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, especially since you're just getting started on your journey. However, I do believe that the more exposure you have to deaf adults, the more you'll realize that losing your hearing is something that's manageable.

That's not to say what's happening to you isn't devastating. Take time to grieve. You're allowed! Your life, the way you pictured it, will be different. You don't have to act like it won't. Recognize that it's okay to feel the way you feel but that there IS hope for a successful future.

((hugs))

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. :( My other friend is deaf and not mute so I just wanted to point that out to show how they are very successful even though they cannot speak. And if they can do it, anyone can! They are very inspirational to me.

I dont speak well but i can speak one word for one word. However I always tell them I am an ASL user. I have a job for 17 yrs in a hearing field work. so either ASL users or Deaf/HOH/deaf who can speak all would have JOB as long as they have great self confidence .. Of course!

Back