I was deaf all along.

Hey about the baby thing, some women do get pregnant and stay that way and don't notice! I once saw a TV show ( can't remember what it was called for the LIFE of me! ) but the lady thought she had to take a poo.... and turned out when the looked in the potty, there was a baby in there! The baby was fine of course! However, I'm just saying anything is possible, the human body is a strange thing!

I saw that. On the TLC channel. When I read the title on the channel guide I had to see it because I thought, "How do you not know?!" And wow, they really didn't know. VERY interesting.

Hello Kevin72, Welcome to this place.

Ask away.

How did you do in school , did you have to stay or where you put in a special needs class and is there anyone else in your family that HOH ? I got my first HA when I was 8 yo . I had to stay back I first grade but I still was not passing the second time . My teacher decided to keep me after school and give me a hearing test and boy I was lucky. People thought I was retarded
b/c of speech and I talked loud and was failing school . I find it odd that a doctor did not pick up on your being hoh sooner.

I started school very well as a child but went down hill quite quickly, bad grades, bad behaviour paid little attention and didn't concentrate. Spent most of high school in the back of the class or not bothering at all, teachers were quite happy to have it that way.
As for my family, no one else has a hearing difficulty in fact they all have perfect hearing.
I'm told I passed a basic hearing test as a baby so every one is baffled as to why my hearing is so bad, however 2 audiologists have stated it is from birth or shortly afterwards. Since no other member of my family has a hearing problem I think people just thought I was odd or had some kind of other problems.

I started school very well as a child but went down hill quite quickly, bad grades, bad behaviour paid little attention and didn't concentrate. Spent most of high school in the back of the class or not bothering at all, teachers were quite happy to have it that way.
As for my family, no one else has a hearing difficulty in fact they all have perfect hearing.
I'm told I passed a basic hearing test as a baby so every one is baffled as to why my hearing is so bad, however 2 audiologists have stated it is from birth or shortly afterwards. Since no other member of my family has a hearing problem I think people just thought I was odd or had some kind of other problems.

I can relate to people thinking you where odd. Parents in my neighborhood did not want me playing with their kids b/c thy thought I was odd plus I talked loud an woke people upon the weekends. I think my family doctor was odd for not realizing I was hoh. That is too bad no realize you where hoh . I hate it when a kid it label as being lazy or not caring about school when they have a LD or are hoh

Thanks for sharing your experience here, Kevin. I've been thinking about this late identified HoH issue myself for the last few years. Seems strange to others who think that hearing problems ought to be easily identified. I was 50 or so before I realized I had some significant audiological issues and later was tested and fitted for one hearing aid. Ironically, it wasn't until several years later when I started an ASL class and decided to test again (with moderate/severe hearing loss in both ears) that I identified as HoH.

Since then, I've been flashing back to all kinds of strange encounters in school and other places where the biggest issue was probably my lack of hearing that I never knew. But there were clues along the way. And I am discovering them now, several decades later.

Tom

Back