I was actually denied an interpreter at a hospital

JennyB

Reaction score
On May 18, 2009, around 12:00pm I went to a hospital because of a back injury. I was with a friend, who was there to wait with me and make sure that the incident that caused the injury was recounted properly since she was there when it happened.

We got there, filled out the initial patient information form and I handed it in and went to sit an wait. During this time my friend was calling the emergency after-hours interpreter number to get a terp for me. After several unsuccessful attempts to contact one, she finally got through to an operator. At the time she called there were no interpreters available. Shortly after that the triage nurse called my name. My friend and I were communicating in American Sign Language (ASL) and I was not aware of the nurse calling my name. Soon a nurse came and told me was her turn.

I entered the triage area and the nurse began speaking to me in English. I gestured to show that I am deaf and the nurse continued to speak. I then gestured that the nurse should write and she wrote “how old are you?” I responded in writing, and the nurse began to speak to me once again. I then firmly pointed to the pencil and paper to make sure the nurse understood that she must write. The nurse finished taking my history through writing notes back and forth and then told me to go to registration. I gave the person at the registration desk my health card and showed her a note that I had typed into my blackberry saying “I need an ASL interpreter”. The woman at registration smiled and gave me a “thumbs-up” and gestured for my friend and I to go sit down.

My friend and I sat in the waiting area for a few minutes and continued to communicate with each other through American Sign Language. When it was time for me to enter the patient care area the woman from registration called my name. My friend made me aware of this, but since I was the patient I expected direct communication unless there was already an ASL-English interpreter there. The woman from registration continued to call my name and then started to ring the bell at the desk to get my attention. She then proceeded to bang on the desk and slowly come around the desk, continuing to call my name and bang on things. Eventually she entered my peripheral vision and was able to get my attention and gesture it was time to enter the patient care area. I showed the woman the note saying “I need an ASL interpreter” once again before entering.

Me and my friend entered the patient care area and once again showed the woman from registration the note asking for an interpreter. The woman from registration then told two nurses at the nurses station that I needed an interpreter. The triage nurse then exclaimed that I did not need an interpreter because they had I could write and read and the entire history had been completed that way. I then showed the triage nurse the note requesting an interpreter and once again the nurse said no and refused to get one.

At this point the triage nurse walked away and began to discuss me and exclaim that I did not need an interpreter with another nurse in a public area, showing no respect for me. The triage nurse then came back and asked me for a urine sample through spoken English. When I did not respond the nurse then wrote a note explaining what that she needed a urine sample and how to do it. I showed the triage nurse the note asking for an interpreter one last time. The nurse then spoke to me once again exclaiming that I did not need an interpreter.

My friend then recognized that the triage nurse was going to continue to ignore my request for an interpreter and then explained in spoken English (with my permission) explained that I needed an interpreter and that the hospital had a legal responsibility to provide one. The three nurses that were there continued to argue that this was not the case and they did not have to because I could write and read. My friend continued to explain that if I were to be a Chinese, Portuguese, or Italian patient the hospital would provide an interpreter and that this was the same situation. When the nurses continued to refuse to call an interpreter my friend then asked for a pen and wrote down the name and number for Ontario Interpreter Services which the nurses ignored.

A nurse then came around to the outside of the desk with a mask covering her mouth and nose asking who spoke and understood English. My friend said that she did and then nurse told her to “tell your friend to go sit down”. My friend refused and told the nurse to ask me herself and I gestured for communication to be direct and wrote a note on paper saying that my friend was not an interpreter.

Then nurse then turned to me, with the mask still covering her face, and began to ask me if I understood her. My friend then told the nurse that I could not lip read the nurse when the mask was covering her face. Once again the nurse told my friend to “tell your friend to go sit down”. My friend then asked the nurse what she would do if she were not there, to which the nurse responded that she did not like my friends attitude. A nurse also said that if my friend were not there that I would not be either. My friend continued to explain that I had a legal right to an interpreter and that the hospital was responsible to hire one. The nurses all said that they were not responsible to “hire” anyone because they were nurses.

At this point I decided that I should go to a different hospital and asked my friend to interpret a few things for me. I commented that I could not access medical services at the hospital without proper communication, and that English was not my first language. Then I said I was going to leave and go to another hospital. By this point the nurses had called security and they arrived as me and my friend were leaving. The nurses said that other hospitals would not serve me with the attitude that we had.

We then went to another hospital and along with the service of a professional ASL-English Interpreter I received medical care and treatment.

wow, as a nurse, and I am profoundly deaf, I am so sorry that you had that experience. Their attitude was wrong and they need to be aware of the ADA. I can honestly tell you, not all nurses or hospitals are like that. best wishes to you.:shock:

On May 18, 2009, around 12:00pm I went to a hospital because of a back injury. I was with a friend, who was there to wait with me and make sure that the incident that caused the injury was recounted properly since she was there when it happened.

We got there, filled out the initial patient information form and I handed it in and went to sit an wait. During this time my friend was calling the emergency after-hours interpreter number to get a terp for me. After several unsuccessful attempts to contact one, she finally got through to an operator. At the time she called there were no interpreters available. Shortly after that the triage nurse called my name. My friend and I were communicating in American Sign Language (ASL) and I was not aware of the nurse calling my name. Soon a nurse came and told me was her turn.

I entered the triage area and the nurse began speaking to me in English. I gestured to show that I am deaf and the nurse continued to speak. I then gestured that the nurse should write and she wrote “how old are you?” I responded in writing, and the nurse began to speak to me once again. I then firmly pointed to the pencil and paper to make sure the nurse understood that she must write. The nurse finished taking my history through writing notes back and forth and then told me to go to registration. I gave the person at the registration desk my health card and showed her a note that I had typed into my blackberry saying “I need an ASL interpreter”. The woman at registration smiled and gave me a “thumbs-up” and gestured for my friend and I to go sit down.

My friend and I sat in the waiting area for a few minutes and continued to communicate with each other through American Sign Language. When it was time for me to enter the patient care area the woman from registration called my name. My friend made me aware of this, but since I was the patient I expected direct communication unless there was already an ASL-English interpreter there. The woman from registration continued to call my name and then started to ring the bell at the desk to get my attention. She then proceeded to bang on the desk and slowly come around the desk, continuing to call my name and bang on things. Eventually she entered my peripheral vision and was able to get my attention and gesture it was time to enter the patient care area. I showed the woman the note saying “I need an ASL interpreter” once again before entering.

Me and my friend entered the patient care area and once again showed the woman from registration the note asking for an interpreter. The woman from registration then told two nurses at the nurses station that I needed an interpreter. The triage nurse then exclaimed that I did not need an interpreter because they had I could write and read and the entire history had been completed that way. I then showed the triage nurse the note requesting an interpreter and once again the nurse said no and refused to get one.

At this point the triage nurse walked away and began to discuss me and exclaim that I did not need an interpreter with another nurse in a public area, showing no respect for me. The triage nurse then came back and asked me for a urine sample through spoken English. When I did not respond the nurse then wrote a note explaining what that she needed a urine sample and how to do it. I showed the triage nurse the note asking for an interpreter one last time. The nurse then spoke to me once again exclaiming that I did not need an interpreter.

My friend then recognized that the triage nurse was going to continue to ignore my request for an interpreter and then explained in spoken English (with my permission) explained that I needed an interpreter and that the hospital had a legal responsibility to provide one. The three nurses that were there continued to argue that this was not the case and they did not have to because I could write and read. My friend continued to explain that if I were to be a Chinese, Portuguese, or Italian patient the hospital would provide an interpreter and that this was the same situation. When the nurses continued to refuse to call an interpreter my friend then asked for a pen and wrote down the name and number for Ontario Interpreter Services which the nurses ignored.

A nurse then came around to the outside of the desk with a mask covering her mouth and nose asking who spoke and understood English. My friend said that she did and then nurse told her to “tell your friend to go sit down”. My friend refused and told the nurse to ask me herself and I gestured for communication to be direct and wrote a note on paper saying that my friend was not an interpreter.

Then nurse then turned to me, with the mask still covering her face, and began to ask me if I understood her. My friend then told the nurse that I could not lip read the nurse when the mask was covering her face. Once again the nurse told my friend to “tell your friend to go sit down”. My friend then asked the nurse what she would do if she were not there, to which the nurse responded that she did not like my friends attitude. A nurse also said that if my friend were not there that I would not be either. My friend continued to explain that I had a legal right to an interpreter and that the hospital was responsible to hire one. The nurses all said that they were not responsible to “hire” anyone because they were nurses.

At this point I decided that I should go to a different hospital and asked my friend to interpret a few things for me. I commented that I could not access medical services at the hospital without proper communication, and that English was not my first language. Then I said I was going to leave and go to another hospital. By this point the nurses had called security and they arrived as me and my friend were leaving. The nurses said that other hospitals would not serve me with the attitude that we had.

We then went to another hospital and along with the service of a professional ASL-English Interpreter I received medical care and treatment.

Jenny,
I hope you wrote down every nurse and workers names, times of refusal, and so on and are going to make an official complaint.
Do you have an attorney yet? Get one!

It may just have to be renamed the "JennyB Memorial Hospital"

This is still going on in this day and age??? You bet!....My family doctor always has a terp for her deaf patients. And I request a female terp. On one visit, there was a man and I was so uncomfortable because it was a female problem! So I cancelled the appt, and told the terp I needed a female (very nicely) and he understood, so I had to reschedule.

When seeing my doctor the next time, I also had something on my eye, and she scheduled me for an appt. to an eye doctor....When I called the eye doctor to confirm the appt., the receptionist on the phone said:...."Can the lady read & write"? Because we do not have terps...and will not hire one, or allow one....The question made me so angry, but I said, "Of course I can read and write" but I do need a terp. The receptionist said to the relay operator, "well, that's fine because you would not believe the people we get in here"! "And she told the relay operator....."but you don't have to tell her that! (me)....But the relay opr. told me everything....and I was outraged!

To make the story short....my terp at the doctors office told me that this Eye Doctor and several others....were refusing deaf patients terps. And the ADA was made aware of it, also our deaf advocate lawyer, Ms. Castera. And we are awaiting to see what is going to happen.

I did not see this eye doctor! I did not even cancel my appt.

It's Canada issues. I don't know their law. You, Canadian better bring it up and explain on their system on "ADA" blah blah.

Please. :)

Yes, I am in Canada. We do have a law that mandates that ALL hospitals and medical care places provide interpreters and it has been law for 10 years!

I have contacted a lawyer.

I don't have their names, but I have times and stuff so it is easy to figure out who was working. My friend and I can also ID them.

Hi Jenny! [Great seeing you at Mayfest!]

I'm terribly sorry this has happened to you as it should not have happened at the very first place.

The Canadian Human Rights Act states the prohibited grounds of discrimination are disability.

Prohibited grounds of discrimination
3. (1) For all purposes of this Act, the prohibited grounds of discrimination are race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability and conviction for which a pardon has been granted.

Orders regarding discriminatory practices
4. A discriminatory practice, as described in sections 5 to 14.1, may be the subject of a complaint under Part III and anyone found to be engaging or to have engaged in a discriminatory practice may be made subject to an order as provided in sections 53 and 54

Discriminatory Practices

Denial of good, service, facility or accommodation
5. It is a discriminatory practice in the provision of goods, services, facilities or accommodation customarily available to the general public

(a) to deny, or to deny access to, any such good, service, facility or accommodation to any individual, or

(b) to differentiate adversely in relation to any individual,

on a prohibited ground of discrimination.

Canadian Human Rights Act

For the nurses to brazenly state you can understand them by reading their questions/answers, they are denying you your right to an interpreter, therefore violating your right to accessibility.

The nurses cannot talk you down ie talk to your friend as if she is the interpreter. This is very improper and unethical.

I am really glad you went to another hospital where you had interpreter service provided. I urge you to seek the CHRA into this.

I'm so sorry that you went through a horrible experience, You have a right to an interpreter weather they like it or not. They are to assist patients, and they need to know what communication support that each patients need in order to use their service, if they aren't that dumb especially when medical information is involved.

Don't let them get away with it, fight for your rights. I wish you so much luck. ;)

Oh, wow, Jenny! I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience. Give 'em hell girl!

Why would the nurse need your urine sample when you have a back injury!
I have gone to ER for that and I was not ask to give an urine sample !
Did the nurse think you were on drugs or something! The nurses should be reported for not getting you an Interpreter ! I would had given the nurses the universal sign language , which is only one finger! Do not let the nurses get away with this , they to be reported so they will not treat some other HOH people like you were treated! I would get a good lawyer and sues the jerks!
And I like your hearing aide , it is cool!

Back pain can be a sign of a kidney infection or a urinary tract infection. They take a urine sample to check for bacteria and/or blood in the urine to see if infection or injury to the kidney is the cause of the pain.

Make sense, best thing to do is find out the most obvious before going to other possible causes.

Hi Jenny! [Great seeing you at Mayfest!]

I'm terribly sorry this has happened to you as it should not have happened at the very first place.

The Canadian Human Rights Act states the prohibited grounds of discrimination are disability.

Canadian Human Rights Act

For the nurses to brazenly state you can understand them by reading their questions/answers, they are denying you your right to an interpreter, therefore violating your right to accessibility.

The nurses cannot talk you down ie talk to your friend as if she is the interpreter. This is very improper and unethical.

I am really glad you went to another hospital where you had interpreter service provided. I urge you to seek the CHRA into this.

In addition, the equivilant to the ADA in Canada is the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Source: Canadian charter of rights and freedoms

Enforcement of guaranteed rights and freedoms

24. (1) Anyone whose rights or freedoms, as guaranteed by this Charter, have been infringed or denied may apply to a court of competent jurisdiction to obtain such remedy as the court considers appropriate and just in the circumstances.

Exclusion of evidence bringing administration of justice into disrepute

(2) Where, in proceedings under subsection (1), a court concludes that evidence was obtained in a manner that infringed or denied any rights or freedoms guaranteed by this Charter, the evidence shall be excluded if it is established that, having regard to all the circumstances, the admission of it in the proceedings would bring the administration of justice into disrepute.

Good luck!! At least you are stepping up and doing something about it. Often times I hear people complain about injustices but they never do anything about it. To me, doing nothing just contributes to the problem.

That's Disability Discrimination!! Surely that's totally illegal!!

That's so wrong..it is a perfect case of unprofessionalism and egoism. Give them hell, Jenny!

I got the hospital report today. I went in a payed for my file because I wanted it before I filled out my complaint from with the human rights commision. Anyway...here is their side.

"Patient was providing information at triage desk by writing with no problem, was instructed to registration afterward. After registration patient and friend came into department, was asked to collect urine and instructions given, patient insisted to call an interpreter while friend can hear and talk as well as performing sign language, with patient. Patient was informed to go and sit down while arrangement to be made, friend stated very loudly that staff needed to "talk to her, she is the patient" and stated "it is her legal right - that you should hire an interpreter". Patient was urged to collect urine while process of finding an interpreter. Patient and friend kept on demanding an interpreter, friend became very loud and security was called regarding above issue. Patient and friend left quickly on arrival of security staff.

Locating was called for sign language interpreter and we were informed the staff who works at L+D who can sign was not on duty today."

They never called a terp while I was there. They must have called after, but regardless of it their terp was on-duty or not they still need to get me one! They messed with the wrong Jenny!

Back