'I want to serve my country': Deaf man locked in ongoing battle to join the Army

...They probably sign the orders to deaf groups that are trained together.
Do you mean there would be all-deaf units?

They may pair up a deaf person with someone who is currently serving that knows sign.
Do you mean a buddy system where they train hearing soldiers to learn how to sign in order to stay with the deaf soldiers 24/7?

In other words, they may have a "segregated" army.
Segregated? Uh, oh. That's not good.

There may be no VRS overseas, but they get internet.
Yes, I know. :) Just mentioning it for those who might want to use it.

Do you mean there would be all-deaf units?

Do you mean a buddy system where they train hearing soldiers to learn how to sign in order to stay with the deaf soldiers 24/7?

Segregated? Uh, oh. That's not good.

Yes, I know. :) Just mentioning it for those who might want to use it.

I will have to ask my friend who is in the IDF about how they train deaf soldiers. I was just assuming that a buddy system, or, deaf units (thus my "segregation" comment) was utilized there, but I don't really know. This should be an interesting research prjoect.

This IDF soldier has been one of my father's good friends for many years - they develop software together for computer games (yeah, they act like 7 year old boys when they are together :giggle: ).

Question:

I'll play Devil's advocate here (not that the Devil needs anyone's help).

Some points to think about:

4. Even if terps were available during training and Stateside, they wouldn't be available overseas in combat.

QUOTE]

LOL at imagining interpreters trying to do their job in a battle zone. A deaf soldier would just think "all right, an extra body shield!" haha

Just so you know, we are talking about the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Israel has nothing to do with this.

The guy in the video brought up that Israel allowed deaf people to fight in their Army . And that he when to Israel to meet some deaf Israeli solders.

Back