I want to purchase a CC Box..Pls. Help

famousredhead

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to all this. We live in Costa Rica. My husband has hearing problems and I am looking to help him out. He has yet to give into the fact he needs to get a hearing aid(s). It is quite miserable for him to watch TV.

Where we live, our cable (SKY) does not offer CC completely. And while we do get CC on some U.S. shows, they are, understandably, in Spanish. However we are moving away from the Cable and watching more and more TV via the internet. I.E. I download 95% of the shows we watch and then hook the laptop up to the TV via HDMI cable. But the shows I download are not downloaded with CC. Thus his problem.

So I am hoping that I can buy a separate box to hook up to either my computer or my tv which will show CC to anything I have downloaded and watch. I don't even know if they make such a product or not. But if they do and anyone knows of this, please inform me. I am desperate to help him enjoy himself again.

Also, if anyone knows of a website where we can download movies/tv shows that have CC on them, I would appreciate that as well.

Thank you so much

Hello everyone! I am new to all this. We live in Costa Rica. My husband has hearing problems and I am looking to help him out. He has yet to give into the fact he needs to get a hearing aid(s). It is quite miserable for him to watch TV.

Where we live, our cable (SKY) does not offer CC completely. And while we do get CC on some U.S. shows, they are, understandably, in Spanish. However we are moving away from the Cable and watching more and more TV via the internet. I.E. I download 95% of the shows we watch and then hook the laptop up to the TV via HDMI cable. But the shows I download are not downloaded with CC. Thus his problem.

So I am hoping that I can buy a separate box to hook up to either my computer or my tv which will show CC to anything I have downloaded and watch. I don't even know if they make such a product or not. But if they do and anyone knows of this, please inform me. I am desperate to help him enjoy himself again.

Also, if anyone knows of a website where we can download movies/tv shows that have CC on them, I would appreciate that as well.

Thank you so much
There are several websites that provide subtitles for movies and TV shows. Opensubtitles.org is one of them. Another one is subscene.com.

After downloading the srt file onto your desktop, move it into the folder where the movie or TV show is stored. Depending on what media player you use, the subtitles may or may not show up, at least you are not talking about Netflix or Hulu which may not be available in your country.

I use XBMC which is my favorite media player to watch movies with subtitles on my HDTV via HTPC. For more info about XBMC -http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-sign-language-interpreter/97433-xbmc-media-player.html

As the above poster stated, you can get srt files off the internet.
However, you need to tell the player which srt file to use. Look into programs like VideoLan and Boxee which allow you to choose the srt file. There will be menus for closed caption, etc. You'll need to read the help for those programs.

Thanks for the advice. I started looking into what you are talking about as the idea for a CC box dwindled. I have downloaded a TON of our favorite shows and I did an experiment with one where I found the corresponding SRT file on Subscene.com. I then downloaded a program called Any Video Converter. It was very easy to set up and get done. HOWEVER, here is my problem I can't get around.....The Subtitles and the audio do not sync. I tried making the suggested adjustments, but nothing worked. And I am talking, that the subs and the audio were WAAAAY off eachother.

So now my question is, does anyone know of a program where subtitles and the audio are perfect? Does it exist? Pls. don't recommend handbrake because I couldn't even get the subs to appear on the video at all.

Thanks for the advice. I started looking into what you are talking about as the idea for a CC box dwindled. I have downloaded a TON of our favorite shows and I did an experiment with one where I found the corresponding SRT file on Subscene.com. I then downloaded a program called Any Video Converter. It was very easy to set up and get done. HOWEVER, here is my problem I can't get around.....The Subtitles and the audio do not sync. I tried making the suggested adjustments, but nothing worked. And I am talking, that the subs and the audio were WAAAAY off eachother.

So now my question is, does anyone know of a program where subtitles and the audio are perfect? Does it exist? Pls. don't recommend handbrake because I couldn't even get the subs to appear on the video at all.
I think you will need to answer those questions first.

What type of video files did you download?
What is the website that you downloaded them from?
What media player did you use to watch those files?

My son told me that srt files mainly work well with avi and mkv files which are two types of video files.

Last edited:
Back