I want to know something

Jules

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've been losing hearing from age 17....But nowadays, I'm deaf... And I wish to know people with the same condition... Now I'm 21 years old and I've been through a lot of emotional problems because of the hearing loss.... I would like some advice, please!

Hi everyone!
I've been losing hearing from age 17....But nowadays, I'm deaf... And I wish to know people with the same condition... Now I'm 21 years old and I've been through a lot of emotional problems because of the hearing loss.... I would like some advice, please!

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/62953-adjustment-late-onset-deafness.html

Here is a thread that is completely devoted to late onset deafness. You should find a lot of information in here.

Jules - There are a lot of people in here like you.

To everyone else - does it strike you as odd that there is a lot of people that lost their hearing between 15-22 years old?

Jules - There are a lot of people in here like you.

To everyone else - does it strike you as odd that there is a lot of people that lost their hearing between 15-22 years old?

Yes, to me it does. I don't know anyone in real life that this happened too.

I guess we just get to see them all here.

My boyfriend started to lose his hearing at age 15. His hearing loss are somewhat gradually. The hearing loss rate varies. He calls himself deaf while I think he is bit more of hard of hearing to me comparing to my profound deafness. Heehe. I do not know it it is hard for him at all because his parents are deaf.

Last edited:
My boyfriend started to lose his hearing at age 15. His hearing loss are somewhat gradually. The hearing loss rate varies. He calls himself deaf while I think he is bit more of hard of hearing to me comparing to my profound deafness. Heehe. I do not know it is hard for him at all because his parents are deaf.

Dont worry about it a bit. If he wants to identify himself as deaf, its good for him. That way he won't feel bad.

I have met several late onset deaf people. All of them went to the same phases. Most of them eventually came to terms of being deaf.

Learning sign language and getting involved in meeting other latent deaf or deaf people may make you feel more in place.

Many Latent deaf also consider getting a cochlear implant.

The main thing is acceptance...

Depending on what options you want to use.

Jules, I wish you the best.

@PFH: From what I understand, shifts in hormone levels can often be a marker and gauge for hearing loss. The hormones themselves aren't the cause of the loss, but the loss is often linked to them. So it would make sense that adolescence is when progressive losses set in or become most severe.

@Jules: I've had a progressive loss since birth, but it didn't get severe until I was about 12-13. At that point, I could no longer understand movies without captioning and had to start relying on lipreading to communicate with people in day to day life. It took a long time for me to finally accept my hearing loss. How to reach that acceptance is different for everyone, but as long as you don't give up and take things day to day, you'll be alright. I promise.

Having people to talk to who know exactly what you're going through helps tremendously, whether it is in real life or online. So stick around! Good luck.

thank you!

I have met several late onset deaf people. All of them went to the same phases. Most of them eventually came to terms of being deaf.

Learning sign language and getting involved in meeting other latent deaf or deaf people may make you feel more in place.

Many Latent deaf also consider getting a cochlear implant.

The main thing is acceptance...

Depending on what options you want to use.

Jules, I wish you the best.

That's why I'm here! to meet deaf people to feel in place.... Because, the other people who are not deaf or latent deaf doesn't really understand me at all....
Next year I'm getting a cochlear implant! I'm exited :P

@PFH: From what I understand, shifts in hormone levels can often be a marker and gauge for hearing loss. The hormones themselves aren't the cause of the loss, but the loss is often linked to them. So it would make sense that adolescence is when progressive losses set in or become most severe.

@Jules: I've had a progressive loss since birth, but it didn't get severe until I was about 12-13. At that point, I could no longer understand movies without captioning and had to start relying on lipreading to communicate with people in day to day life. It took a long time for me to finally accept my hearing loss. How to reach that acceptance is different for everyone, but as long as you don't give up and take things day to day, you'll be alright. I promise.

Having people to talk to who know exactly what you're going through helps tremendously, whether it is in real life or online. So stick around! Good luck.
I didin't know that the hormone leves can make hearing loss. Everyday we learn something new!
And it's true the acceptance is different for everyone, but for me it's been so hard and difficult I didn't reach to that point yet... I'm working on it!
Thanks for the advice I really apreciate it. I feel better now :laugh2:
I'll stick around ;)

it's what I know, is that kids now adays play their music loud, so loud that they can't hear eachother. I knwo this because I do it myself "your going to blast your ears out" my mother's side has a history of hard hearing, she's always asked what? over and over, as on my dad's side he has sensitive ears. I have a mix of both, ears that are sensitive but I still run the risk of being hard of hearing or deaf. is there a possability of that happening with the history that my family has with hearing?

That's why I'm here! to meet deaf people to feel in place.... Because, the other people who are not deaf or latent deaf doesn't really understand me at all....
Next year I'm getting a cochlear implant! I'm exited :P

Cochlear Implant doesn't always work.

I am one of those that started losing my hearing around age 20

it's what I know, is that kids now adays play their music loud, so loud that they can't hear eachother. I knwo this because I do it myself "your going to blast your ears out" my mother's side has a history of hard hearing, she's always asked what? over and over, as on my dad's side he has sensitive ears. I have a mix of both, ears that are sensitive but I still run the risk of being hard of hearing or deaf. is there a possability of that happening with the history that my family has with hearing?

you should go to see a doctor....

you can damage your ear hair cells if it have been blasted.So I was told but I was also told this is a myth... oh well.

Ipod now have a limited volume because certain law because of the fear of ear damages.

Back