I want to get better in ASL

Shaylor

Reaction score
I'm hearing, and have been teaching myself sign for about a year and a half. I am pretty good, I can handle basic conversation. I sign PSE, but I want to get better and sign ASL.
Any grammar tips? Sites? :wave:

Try attending deaf social events?

Deaf Chat Coffee or Deaf Happy Hour?

You need to go to ASL class so that you can sign the right way to sign proper sign language. I don't know why you need to teach yourself sign if you were learning from the book or online computer. It is better with someone who can sign with you on the proper way to sign. Also in the ASL class, there will always be Deaf teacher to teach you how to sign correctly. Like VamPryroX said, you can go to Deaf events like in the Deaf communities where you can sign as long as it does not confuse the Deaf.

So number one is to go to the ASL class first.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

VamPyroX said:
Try attending deaf social events?

Deaf Chat Coffee or Deaf Happy Hour?

Im a student & am looking forward to doing this as soon as I build some confidence lol :)

Wirelessly posted

Im a student & am looking forward to doing this as soon as I build some confidence lol :)

Do what I did: I found out where there was an ASL/Deaf meetup (every Sunday at 6 pm at a neighborhood Starbucks), I went and got a frappe' , sat away from the group and watched. I did it like 4 times before I got comfortable enough to say hello and join in. It's a good free way to learn. :) They're so willing to help anyone who sincerely wants to learn.

Tip: I made sure I knew the alphabet and some basic signs before I joined in so that I could show them I was serious and also to not be a pain in the butt to them asking basic questions that I could easily learn on my own.

Not sure if this helps but I do this....

This is what I am doing - I have lost all of my hearing, not sure what I am considered since I have been HOH for years, but I am guessing late deaf. My hearing aides don't work anymore for me. People want me to "fix my problem!" hehe! I decided the first fix - ASL. My husband is willing to learn but struggles more than I do.

I enrolled in a community college ASL course. There are three and I will complete all of them. Then I go home and practice.

I went to ASL University website and am completing their free lessons to practice EVERY DAY.

I joined this forum, to try and understand how others accommodate to their hearing challenges.

I met an interpreter who is going to help me practice. Of course she is charging me so I'm not sure how long this will last. If anything she may open some doors in the deaf community for me to practice.

I am meeting with a group here in town who work with all ranges of disability - there are several deaf on their staff. Hopefully, by volunteering I will meet more people like me and will have more practice.

Get the theme? PRACTICE with people who KNOW what they are doing. Hopefully, I will be able to converse sufficiently in a year. :lol:

Slow on the uptake? I don't think so. You just responded between 6:52 and 6:53 :0
And anyway, I threw a list of (I think) 13 tips at you, some filling out paragraphs. A bit much maybe!

the main thing to remember is that the purpose of any language is effective communication. If you have not been practicing with people then you have no idea how well you communicate. The hardest thing for me has always been understanding ASL in an informal group setting. Going to Deaf events will help with that skill. Just as we use formal English in some situations and casual English in others, ASL can be formal or casual. You need to practice both signing and watching in a variety of situations to become fluent.

Wirelessly posted

Just had my first study group with classmates today. It made such a HUGE difference in learning. A suggestion, if you have a friend taking a course, see if you can attend a study group with them. We allowed that today & she was asking us what we reviewed & got to see & even worked with us :)

Back