I want to check with you over SSI issues

SSA don't pay anyone who is umemployed at all. Only if they happen to be disability or blind or age 65 or older in general ssa rules, included the survivor benefits and retirement as well.

again, SSI program is NOT a temporary support, it can be a lifetime to offer to anyone who are not able to work function well due to disablity, blind or age 65 or older. SSI program is really helpful for anyone who have low incomes and few resources when they are disability or blind or age 65 or older.

Retirement, survivors and SS disability are by people who works long enough and pay SS taxes then they can get their benefits when it meets their needs in much later.

I know this thread is over year OLD. I just want to correct this one in case. :D

SSDI is disability income. To qualify for SSDI, you must have been employed at some time, and the benefits you receive are based on how much you paid into the system when you were working. To qualify, one must be permanently disabled to the degree that there is no job you can do to earn an income. It is very difficult to receive SSDI before age 50, as it is generally believed that younger persons can be re-trained to do another job that is not affected by their disability. You must also have documentation from a doctor detailing your disability, and the SS board wil bring in job coaches, psychologists, disability counselors, etc. to testify at your hearing.

Actually, the majority of deaf people receive SSDI. It is not that difficult to get it, provided you can provide documentation of your deafness. An audiogram will suffice. There isn't even a hearing. And, being "permanently disabled to the degree that there is no job you can do to earn an income" as you stated doesn't count - you are allowed to earn a set amount of dollars - I don't know what it is now, but somewhere around $850-$900/month is what I last heard. Therefore, if the case of being permamently disabled to the degree that there is no job you can do to earn an income truly does apply, then the $850-$900/month allowance is moot. I know - I was on SSDI for about 9 months straight out of college 15 years ago until I found a job, and the process was that easy. I've not had it since, but this is how it worked back then.

SSA don't pay anyone who is umemployed at all. Only if they happen to be disability or blind or age 65 or older in general ssa rules, included the survivor benefits and retirement as well.

again, SSI program is NOT a temporary support, it can be a lifetime to offer to anyone who are not able to work function well due to disablity, blind or age 65 or older. SSI program is really helpful for anyone who have low incomes and few resources when they are disability or blind or age 65 or older.

Retirement, survivors and SS disability are by people who works long enough and pay SS taxes then they can get their benefits when it meets their needs in much later.

I know this thread is over year OLD. I just want to correct this one in case. :D

That is incorrect.

That is incorrect.

Oh? care to explain here. i dont mind if i am mistaken. ;)

for age 62 to apply for retirement and their benefits would be reduced
for age 65 to apply for retirement and their benefit would be a full benefit

BUT

i realize that anyone who were born earlier or 1937 then they would get a full benefit at age 65. For anyone who were born after 1938 or later then their benefits would be stretching such as adding the months to become a full benefit. SSA have their own charts to figure out based on the born of years.

For age 65, can get a medicare or disability can get a medicare within 24 months later.

Oh? care to explain here. i dont mind if i am mistaken. ;)

for age 62 to apply for retirement and their benefits would be reduced
for age 65 to apply for retirement and their benefit would be a full benefit

BUT

i realize that anyone who were born earlier or 1937 then they would get a full benefit at age 65. For anyone who were born after 1938 or later then their benefits would be stretching such as adding the months to become a full benefit. SSA have their own charts to figure out based on the born of years.

For age 65, can get a medicare or disability can get a medicare within 24 months later.

Your original statement in #21 states that if they are younger than 65, they don't get paid by SSA. Only after I pointed out your error did you correct yourself in #24.

Your original statement in #21 states that if they are younger than 65, they don't get paid by SSA. Only after I pointed out your error did you correct yourself in #24.

ha thats no problem. thanks for clarifying this one. :ty: Originially, I was talking about "age 65" but i keep forgetting that anyone who were born after 1938 and then it changes the new retirement age is now. =X

Actually, the majority of deaf people receive SSDI. It is not that difficult to get it, provided you can provide documentation of your deafness. An audiogram will suffice. There isn't even a hearing. And, being "permanently disabled to the degree that there is no job you can do to earn an income" as you stated doesn't count - you are allowed to earn a set amount of dollars - I don't know what it is now, but somewhere around $850-$900/month is what I last heard. Therefore, if the case of being permamently disabled to the degree that there is no job you can do to earn an income truly does apply, then the $850-$900/month allowance is moot. I know - I was on SSDI for about 9 months straight out of college 15 years ago until I found a job, and the process was that easy. I've not had it since, but this is how it worked back then.

from my understanding that SSDI applies to ANYONE who are disabled people that can get SS disability. I know any deaf people would have no problem getting their cases approval right away according to their deafness. For HOH, some of them are getting SSDI and some HOH fail and not to get SSDI. It's up to Disability Determinition Service aka DDS's decisions to approve or not based on anyones disability. :roll:

for 2009, the monthly SGA amount is $980. now.

from my understanding that SSDI applies to ANYONE who are disabled people that can get SS disability. I know any deaf people would have no problem getting their cases approval right away according to their deafness. For HOH, some of them are getting SSDI and some HOH fail and not to get SSDI. It's up to Disability Determinition Service aka DDS's decisions to approve or not based on anyones disability. :roll:

for 2009, the monthly SGA amount is $980. now.

Yes, thank you for reinforcing my point. I believe Jillio was incorrect. I had no trouble getting SSDI 15 years ago. (Again only on it for 9 months or so, but we were at least allowed to earn something, which refuted what she was saying.)

So, it is $980 now that you can earn without losing SSDI?

Yes, thank you for reinforcing my point. I believe Jillio was incorrect. I had no trouble getting SSDI 15 years ago. (Again only on it for 9 months or so, but we were at least allowed to earn something, which refuted what she was saying.)

So, it is $980 now that you can earn without losing SSDI?

What, exactly is it that you believe I was incorrect about? SSI and SSDI are two different programs.

This is the process used by SSA to decide if you are disabled and eligible for SSDI:

We use a five-step process to decide if you are disabled.

Are you working?
If you are working and your earnings average more than a certain amount each month, we generally will not consider you disabled. The amount changes each year. For the current figure, see the annual Update (Publication No. 05-10003).

If you are not working, or your monthly earnings average the current amount or less, the state agency then looks at your medical condition.

Is your medical condition “severe”?
For the state agency to decide that you are disabled, your medical condition must significantly limit your ability to do basic work activities—such as walking, sitting and remembering—for at least one year. If your medical condition is not that severe, the state agency will not consider you disabled. If your condition is that severe, the state agency goes on to step three.

Is your medical condition on the List of Impairments?
The state agency has a List of Impairments that describes medical conditions that are considered so severe that they automatically mean that you are disabled as defined by law. If your condition (or combination of medical conditions) is not on this list, the state agency looks to see if your condition is as severe as a condition that is on the list. If the severity of your medical condition meets or equals that of a listed impairment, the state agency will decide that you are disabled. If it does not, the state agency goes on to step four.

Can you do the work you did before?
At this step, the state agency decides if your medical condition prevents you from being able to do the work you did before. If it does not, the state agency will decide that you are not disabled. If it does, the state agency goes on to step five.

Can you do any other type of work?
If you cannot do the work you did in the past, the state agency looks to see if you would be able to do other work. It evaluates your medical condition, your age, education, past work experience and any skills you may have that could be used to do other work. If you cannot do other work, the state agency will decide that you are disabled. If you can do other work, the state agency will decide that you are not disabled.

Also:

We will review your application to make sure you meet some basic requirements for disability benefits. We will check whether you worked enough years to qualify. Also, we will evaluate any current work activities. If you meet these requirements, we will send your application to the Disability Determination Services office in your state.

This is directly from the Social Security Adminsitrations publication on SSDI.

SSI is a different program. There are different qualifications, and different ways of deciding the amount of payment.

What, exactly is it that you believe I was incorrect about? SSI and SSDI are two different programs.

That's correct. Re-read my post #22. I quoted your paragraph regarding SSDI and bolded the part that is incorrect. As a former SSDI recipient, I know what's involved in the process of applying, the qualifying criteria, and the fact that you are allowed to earn a certain amount while on SSDI. (Which refutes your statement "To qualify, one must be permanently disabled to the degree that there is no job you can do to earn an income." How is anyone allowed to earn a certain amount while on SSDI if there is no job someone can do to earn an income?)

I know my mother get SSI for retirement (I think that's SSI). She was drawing my father's since he died, but now that she is full retirement age she get's her own. I am only 45 and I get SSDI due to my total deafness and neuropathy. I am unable to stand and the whole right side of my body is numb. I only had to have 1 hearing test to prove that I could not hear. The deciding factor to not go any further was when the audiologists took a balloon and popped it in a microphone that had the volume set to full blast and I still didn't even jump. I spen an hour in the charie while they tried anything and still I never heard ANYTHING. The approval for my SSDI took only 1 month. As far as I understood, the amount was based on what you earned over the years while employed, but in reading the posts here I find that I was incorrect. I had been getting $931 and starting this month it will be $985.

Back