I turned deaf when i was 37.

If stem cells can regenerate the lost nerves inside the cochlea i have a good chance hearing again. But until scientist can develop this ill have stay deaf. Once i decide to get CI theres no going back. The cochlea is removed when CI is implanted. So i decide to keep it as is. Hopefully when that day comes.

This is wrong. Wires are threaded into the cochlea; the cochlea is left in place.

If stem cells can regenerate the lost nerves inside the cochlea i have a good chance hearing again. But until scientist can develop this ill have stay deaf. Once i decide to get CI theres no going back. The cochlea is removed when CI is implanted. So i decide to keep it as is. Hopefully when that day comes.

You're wrong. Its like Jane B said the wires are run into the cochlea only it IS NOT removed. And yes I have a CI.

Plus I've heard they have, or are working on, CIs that will retain the hearing you have.

I have read, heard and watched...
some retain residual hearing but it will gradually fade away.
some say the ci sounds exactly the same as their once normal hearing BUT
some say they cant understand anything when first activated.
I have posted 2 videos of people getting activated the first time, one gal said it sounded exactly the same and she could hear music with no issues. The other girl was 100% deaf and could hear just fine although loud to her, you could tell by her deaf "accent" in the video. There is a wealth of info in youtube from surgery to activations
Also a friend has CI, activated about 2 weeks and she said it sounded normal to her, deaf in one ear now with CI and HA in the other.

You're wrong. Its like Jane B said the wires are run into the cochlea only it IS NOT removed. And yes I have a CI.

That was why I posted the utube to show that you where right . I can't believe people had an issues with it.

Back