I think my dad got taken grrr...

springtime

Reaction score
:mad::mad:

My dad, who is in his 60's, retired, and has early Parkinsons, also has some hearing loss. He's had 2 other sets of HA's, and his loss is the typical loss of aging (vs the otosclerosis I have, we have different issues).

He uses a 'certain Brandname' 'hearing loss center' that really seems to target the elderly :hmm: He went yesterday because his very expensive CIC aids aren't working right (one isn't). He's had them maybe 5 years. Did the 'brandname' center offer to repair them or send them out for repair? No. They tell my dad that he needs new ones. And how convienent, they offer financing!

So, my dad walks out of there with an order for behind-the-ear open fit, which is what I have. But, his cost like 3 times what mine did! It's practically the same aid! I think I actually have an extra program on mine :eek3:

I had told him to go to Costco. That's where I got mine and the audi there is nice. The price is so much more reasonable for the same thing. But, I think the 'certain Brandname' place tells him that other aids aren't so good. But I know, that many HA manufacturers make them for different places. He had told me yesterday, before his appt., that he would check out Costco-but then comes home from his appt with the order for new aids.

I'm just annoyed. I don't like places that target people like my dad. Buying hearing aids is like buying used cars :eek2:

Your dad did get taken. Those Brand Name Hearing Centers are rip off places.
He needs to go to a REAL audi! However it IS good that he switched from CICs to BTEs....The baby aids really don't provide enough power for more then mild losses.

Yeah, we tried to get my dad to get his hearing tested, and he said no because he thought (most likely correctly) that they would tell him his hearing was very bad and that he needed some "special" hearing aid or something. Instead we're looking for a solid audi that won't force them on him- he needs to take it slow. Definitely re-direct your dad, it's good he has someone like you watching out for him.

I tried to get him to go to Costco, told him the hearing test is free and he could still see his audi at 'Brandname hearing loss center' if he wanted to...but he said he has gone to that guy for years and the guy 'knows' him. I think he got a hard sell, and he showed me his new HA's the other day. It appears to have about the same functions as mine, excepting that he has these funny earmolds-like in-canal earmolds? I asked him why they did that (and certainly charged him extra) and why not open-fit like I have.

He also didn't know the details of his hearing test (the lady at Costco explained mine fully and in detail) and the audi told him that his new ha's would 'bring back' 80% of his hearing vs. the 50% of the old CIC's he had. Neither of the two audi's I've seen (at my ENT and the Costco audi) ever claimed that an HA would 'bring back' any percentage of my hearing-that sounds like bunk, like a sales pitch.

It's already done, and he seems satisfied with them, so I'm just venting...I just hoped for him to get a good deal. I sure hope these last for him!

It appears to have about the same functions as mine, excepting that he has these funny earmolds-like in-canal earmolds? I asked him why they did that (and certainly charged him extra) and why not open-fit like I have.

!

Maybe his brand name dealer is a little better than Costco. :lol:

Open-fit earmolds are not much good to deaf people.

Those funny earmolds he got will provide the best delivery of sounds from his hearing aid.

I was gonna mention the same thing...not many ppl wear open fit unless they are mildly hoh

They look different than other earmolds I've seen-these look like a tube and it goes way in the ear, rather than earmolds that go in the outer ear.

It struck me as strange because this particular place heavily advertises this particular BTE as 'the new open-fit style!' but then he has an earmold on it. Makes me wonder if it was the right kind for him. I don't know what the details of his audiogram are-neither does he, and it was not explained to him-and he doesn't even know if his loss is mild or moderate.

Bottesini, his last set of HA's from this brandname place barely lasted 5 years and they were $7000!!! They didn't even offer repair as an option-just, buy new ones. I didn't have the heart to ask him how much the new ones were.

They look different than other earmolds I've seen-these look like a tube and it goes way in the ear, rather than earmolds that go in the outer ear.

It struck me as strange because this particular place heavily advertises this particular BTE as 'the new open-fit style!' but then he has an earmold on it. Makes me wonder if it was the right kind for him. I don't know what the details of his audiogram are-neither does he, and it was not explained to him-and he doesn't even know if his loss is mild or moderate.

Bottesini, his last set of HA's from this brandname place barely lasted 5 years and they were $7000!!! They didn't even offer repair as an option-just, buy new ones. I didn't have the heart to ask him how much the new ones were.

I am surprised he wouldn't learn about his audiogram and review which hearing aids will best fit his budget and his hearing loss.

He does have the right to have it. You should try to get him to request a copy and review it.

You can find the fitting range and features of any brand hearing aids online and see why his were recommended for him.

Back