I survived vacation

eirlys

Reaction score
Ok.. I actually survived. I had my doubts. The first few days were almost unbearable and the rest just faded into a tolerably uncomfortable feeling.

Spent a lot of time reading because everyone watched movies all the time and wouldn't turn on the captions... I can hear kinda but still have issues understanding the words in movies.

The highlight was that I rode a carousel like... 4 times at the Van Andel Museum and we spent an entire day at Michigans Adventure... <3 Theme/Waterparks...

Great you made it. any idea why they didn't turn on the CC? Just wonder. I always ask them to give me the remote and explain it to them that i was looking for the captains.

:( wow.. I'm sorry they weren't more welcoming. Hopefully your boyfriend will not put you through an extended time with them again.. at least until they can learn to be proper hosts and more understanding. Did he try to educate them at all about why you need the captions?

They were ok.. just not understanding about that I guess.. maybe a bit uninformed? I didn't raise too big of a fuss though since I've learned to not be a big tv watcher unless I'm wearing headphones for obvious reasons.

I understand that a family not used to having a deaf person in their midst would not understand about the captioning. It doesn't make it fun, though. A talk with your boyfriend and/or his family about that would be helpful, especially if you are considering being in this relationship for the long term. p.s. I see you are in Minnesota, so am I :)

How rude they watched a lot of movies and refused to turn on the captioning! :eek3: I am sorry you had to put up with that lack of consideration. At least it's over and you're home now. :P

Sometimes, the only way is be proactive with your deafness to show people what you're really going through or they'll never understand and assume you for what they think of you.
Life's tough.

But in the end, if you find people or friends (in general) who aren't willing to turn on captions for you after you asked, they are probably not friends you want to hang out in the long term anyways.. Family's a different story completely, it's tough to confront loved ones who don't understand you.

Good thing your vacation went through nonetheless, any new ones next time? ;)

Next vacation I'm pushing hardcore for a whole weekend playing in the water at the Wisconsin Dells... We passed through there and apparently it's a touristy type town that consists of water parks, amusement parks, food stuff, and mini golf. Theres a ton of water parks in Wisconsin actually... like, every hotel has an indoor one it seems. Just odd

I understand that a family not used to having a deaf person in their midst would not understand about the captioning. It doesn't make it fun, though. A talk with your boyfriend and/or his family about that would be helpful, especially if you are considering being in this relationship for the long term. p.s. I see you are in Minnesota, so am I :)

I'm kinda not a pushy person. Like I said, they seemed nice and everyone was actually really sweet.. maybe I should have spoken up more vehemently, but since I was meeting family for the first time, I didn't want to rock the boat ya know? I actually really really suck at rocking the boat TBH lol.

Yep, I'm in Minnesota. Just moved here from Texas in January. Such a pretty state (haven't actually been out of the Twin Cities area though... so much to do here!)

I know this is a first world problem and really a non-issue.. but it's hard explaining the anxiety I felt over this. Maybe I overreacted but the panic and unhappiness was there nonetheless.

Next vacation I'm pushing hardcore for a whole weekend playing in the water at the Wisconsin Dells... We passed through there and apparently it's a touristy type town that consists of water parks, amusement parks, food stuff, and mini golf. Theres a ton of water parks in Wisconsin actually... like, every hotel has an indoor one it seems. Just odd

That's exactly what Wisconsin Dells is known for. Very touristy/vacation spot for families around here. Lots of fun :) (There's go-karts too!)

I know this is a first world problem and really a non-issue.. but it's hard explaining the anxiety I felt over this. Maybe I overreacted but the panic and unhappiness was there nonetheless.

The anxiety you felt is VERY common among deafies. You do not need to apologize or feel you overreacted.

Back