I signed a song.Mama im coming home

dreamyGerm

Reaction score
I was going to upload it to youtube but there was a file error and im lazy right now to upload it again, so i have it on photobucket.
Anyway i think it might have some signs flaws i have problems coming with asign for "by" as time goes by and "long" as in, its been so long. So any comments, constructive criticism is glady accepted. Laters!
Video of mama im coming home - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

im quite familiar with this song, so i perhaps might have some insights you may not have...so heres a few comments.

"mama" in this song is not his mother, he's referring to his wife. so signing "momma" is conceptually inaccurate. I would prolly drop that sign and not replace it, leave the ambiguity as to who exactly he's referring to, and then let the viewer draw thier conclusions based on the rest of the song.

"momma i'm coming home" part of the song, you need to change "coming" to "going". i know it doesn't make any sense when the song says coming, but its from first person, so you are "going"

aside from that, you did mostly a word-to-sign translation, not an interpretation.
try going over the song, and take each thought, for example

"Times have changed and times are strange
Here I come, but I aint the same"

and interpret this bit into asl...

asl= "since time change, strange. Me go, but same not"

and
"Times gone by seem to be
You could have been a better friend to me"

asl= "time process seem better friend you could"

and so on, so that you are taking each thought and interpreting that bit, and not taking each word and translating that

i realize you posted saying you signed a song, not interpreted it. but hope my comments help

im quite familiar with this song, so i perhaps might have some insights you may not have...so heres a few comments.

"mama" in this song is not his mother, he's referring to his wife. so signing "momma" is conceptually inaccurate. I would prolly drop that sign and not replace it, leave the ambiguity as to who exactly he's referring to, and then let the viewer draw thier conclusions based on the rest of the song.

"momma i'm coming home" part of the song, you need to change "coming" to "going". i know it doesn't make any sense when the song says coming, but its from first person, so you are "going"

aside from that, you did mostly a word-to-sign translation, not an interpretation.
try going over the song, and take each thought, for example

"Times have changed and times are strange
Here I come, but I aint the same"

and interpret this bit into asl...

asl= "since time change, strange. Me go, but same not"

and
"Times gone by seem to be
You could have been a better friend to me"

asl= "time process seem better friend you could"

and so on, so that you are taking each thought and interpreting that bit, and not taking each word and translating that

i realize you posted saying you signed a song, not interpreted it. but hope my comments help

Hi Ariakka. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, i'll sure work on them.:bowdown::)

Did you sign this while listening to the song? When I was music class, my music teacher said always keep both of your arms up while signing to a song, so it make it even more beautiful and draws more attention too. I taught my hearing sister who is a teacher, the signs of the Christmas song called "Jingle Bells", she taught her students this song in sign language.

Obviously it shows that you're trying and making an effort to do something like this and it may not be an easy thing to do as well. One other suggestion is to 'stand up' while doing this, perhaps doing so, the 'flow' of signing will become more graceful. Keep it up and the more you do or practice, you can go only in one direction and that is; improving as you go along. Other than that, have fun doing it. :)

:thumb:
~RR

Back