I Refuse

The truth is, you can't simply wait for him to tell you..."this is what I want." Especially since the window of language acquistion is wide open between birth and age 4...after age 4, the window starts to close. That's why it is so critical that parents are fully informed of what options are available, and what best suits the needs of their children.

I can only relate to my personal experiences and try to pinpoint that speech is NOT language. That's a very crucial point that many professionals in the field of deafness fail to make or distinguish for parents. Parents simply want to communicate with their own children and it is only natural they want that communication to happen in the same comfortable, familiar mode they have been using...yet...
sometimes we as parents have to adjust and make the best of the situation as much as possible.

Do I blame my parents? No. They were doing what they thought was best for me. They were ill-formed (if at all) on many things. However, they are still to be held accountable for not doing their research and finding out more information.

Speech isn't everything. If a child doesn't acquire good speech, s/he will still be able to have a full, fulfilling life. Language, on the other hand, is everything. That's the key to a successful life.

I hope I'm making sense.

Oh yes you're making perfect sense... and you have no idea how much I appreciate your honesty and willingness to share what you understand from a personal experience... I agree that speech isn't the whole language-- there is more to it...

THANK YOU for your insight... it has helped me quite a bit... :hug:

Thank you for putting into words exactly how I feel. I agree with you 100%:cheers:

According to everyone I meet, I can speak like a hearing person. Occasionally my words have a hint of an accent. Other than that, it's "perfect."

Oh, good. Thanks, but no thanks.

Fourteen years of intense speech and aural-verbal training is in the toliet and I'm flushing it. Round and round the water goes down.

Speech never helped me. It made other people's lives easier. The more I learned how to speak, the more I became isolated from the world. I could tell people my feelings, thoughts, needs, and wants. But no one stopped to consider...I wanted to know their feelings, thoughts, needs, and wants, too. I learned to speak...but no one listened. I learned to listen...but no one would look at me. And I learned to cry...and no one heard me.

My childhood memories such as Thanksgiving and Christmas memories are so painful that I block myself from remembering. Those moments at the dinner table where I'm sitting there, laughing along (and wondering what was so funny?)...while inside I was hurting. I resented, and still resent, my family...especially my mother. I missed out. So who gives a damn that I can say the words out of my mouth? Especially when I could never really speak my mind.

People say if I learn to speak, then I'll be ready for the hearing world. How ironic is it that because I learned to speak that the hearing world became unreachable. It was not until I was able to use American Sign Language again that I was able to be fully part of the world. It was then I was able to really speak my mind.

Yeah, I can speak. Thanks, but no thanks.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you thought about forming a group to help parents of deaf children to let them know the isolation of not having a family that signs? I find it frustration that deaf adults bitch about such things, but do nothing to help others.

Why don't you find other parents that think like you do and make a video? Put in captions for us and put it up on YouTube. Maybe it is a spark that will change the Deaf education for better. Straight out of hearing parents' mouths just might do the trick since they ignore Deaf people's voices for over a hundred years.

Why don't you find other parents that think like you do and make a video? Put in captions for us and put it up on YouTube. Maybe it is a spark that will change the Deaf education for better. Straight out of hearing parents' mouths just might do the trick since they ignore Deaf people's voices for over a hundred years.

Good point...:cheers:

Good point...:cheers:

Thanks, I only hope that Gma will come back and see my post to her. Her last post is about 3 weeks ago. If it isn't Gma, I hope other hearing parents would see this and take it up. The sooner it is done, the better.

Thanks, I only hope that Gma will come back and see my post to her. Her last post is about 3 weeks ago. If it isn't Gma, I hope other hearing parents would see this and take it up. The sooner it is done, the better.

The problem is with most of them, once they learn from other parents who think their kids were successful with the oral-only route, they will most likely to listen to and take their advice/suggestions than they will from Deaf people about ASL and the Deaf community.

Mod Note:

Creator requested thread to re-open, I'd like to remind you guys if you have issue with someone, please take it in PM land.

Thanks
~Calvin

Last edited:
Back