I recently got new dog and need advice to teach dog.

BartSimpsx24x

Reaction score
I recently got new dog and I would like some advice to train dog to learn to sit down and stay etc with sing language?

This dog is Black lab breed.

I recently got new dog and I would like some advice to train dog to learn to sit down and stay etc with sing language?

This dog is Black lab breed.

Basically train it just like normal, but use the sign language as you're speaking it. Most dogs associate the sound coming out of your mouth with placing his butt on the floor or lifting a paw to shake. It's no different when you hold up your hand use a certain motion. Only thing I would suggest is to use less subtle sign signals. I don't know ASL so I don't know what the signs are for sit and stay, but if you have to, make up a sign. Have one be a sweeping down motion and one sweeping up. Have one be clenching your fist, maybe another one snapping your fingers. One signal could be raising your arm straight up in the air, one straight out from your body. If you have signals that are too subtle (like having various fingers hooking behind the thumb, for example), it could be more difficult for the dog to see it and learn what it means.

If you want to train the dog to respond only to the sign language, you can speak the command with the signing, and eventually phase out the speaking portion so he's only responding to the hand signals. But if that's your plan (to use only sign language), it'd probably be easier to just skip the vocal portion and just train him with sign language instead of saying "sit." Do some reading on dog training, and basically everything you learn (I would suggest only going with positive reinforcement training, as dogs don't learn from punishment), just supplement any vocal commands with hand sign commands. Dogs tend to read your body language anyway when they're figuring out what it is you want, so it's easy to train them this way. They listen to the sounds coming from your mouth, but they're also watching your hands, your eyes, and the position of your body.

Also, make sure to give a treat to the dog when it obeys the master.

Yes, I agree with the answers here. Most all dogs strive to please their master. And just a "pat on the head" makes them so happy!

hand signs along with verbal to sit, stay or heel....the dogs pick it up very easy as long as you repeat it often.

Whenever I say "Hi 5" to my doggie, she lifts her paw....she was so easy to train when she was a puppy!....Now she will be 2 in July, and like a child, she's getting "a mind of her own" and sometimes disobeys me. As long as you make it known to the dog by saying "bad girl/boy" when they don't follow ur command, they usually hang their heads....and then repeat the command. It takes patience!

A trained dog is a happy dog! Pleasing you, their master, means the world to them.

Patience and Positive reinforcement is the only way to train dogs. Lots of sliced hot dogs as treats and give lots of love when dogs does get it 'right'

Advice, don't buy hot dogs that does have corn syrup in it. It gave my dog some nasty reactions and I wasn't aware of it until my dog trainer had told me.

My dog, Pita - American Pit bull is a well behaved dog in our house and gives us lots of respect and space when ordered.

I'd highly recommned a free onloine train site called Training levesl. It teaches you to train your dog step by step.

Levels.html

By level 3, he'll be a great house dog, by level 5, you'll be able to figure how to teach anything! Just doing 10 minutes once or twice a day!

I used it with Jessie and my 12yo GR too. Works of puppies and adult dogs! Jessie and I enjoy doing all kinds of stuff. Check out our youtube videos.

Instead of adding the vocal cue, add the sign. Dogs are better at hand signals than voice anyway due to their sight orientation, not sound! He'll catch on quickly.

Back