I predict deaf population will be smaller.

"Inconvenience" is the new "necessity"

what I took this to mean... is that when the world around us, in this case, the hearing world... is inconvenienced by having to do something differently; aka learn something (Like ASL), to communicate differently (Pen, Paper, terp, VRS, IP relay); then they turn these inconveniences into necessary changes. Such as a deaf person getting a CI or Baha, using HA's, spoken language, lipreading... So some doctors are looking at a CI as a medical necessity now... rather than just a personal choice/tool. that may not be what TXgolfer was meaning... but thats what made sense to me, and it is something I am seeing. Even doctors offices are getting annoyed at having to use a terp, or take a relay call... my last doc apt... the doc kept blocking the terp and telling me to read lips...

what I took this to mean... is that when the world around us, in this case, the hearing world... is inconvenienced by having to do something differently; aka learn something (Like ASL), to communicate differently (Pen, Paper, terp, VRS, IP relay); then they turn these inconveniences into necessary changes. Such as a deaf person getting a CI or Baha, using HA's, spoken language, lipreading... So some doctors are looking at a CI as a medical necessity now... rather than just a personal choice/tool. that may not be what TXgolfer was meaning... but thats what made sense to me, and it is something I am seeing. Even doctors offices are getting annoyed at having to use a terp, or take a relay call... my last doc apt... the doc kept blocking the terp and telling me to read lips...

I think you are giving the poster far too much credit for philosophical thought, but I do understand what you are saying. That is the audist nature of our society.

Well, I hope you are wrong! But I guess it is possible.

I hope I'm wrong too. However, given the history... I have my reasons to believe that it may strike us again someday. Maybe not in our lifetime though, but it'll happen someday. Maybe it'll be in a few hundred years from now on.

For a fact, during the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, more people died in a year than during the Bubonic Plague. The Bubonic Plague took place 1347 to 1351.

Like I said, nature always find one way or another.

Deafness will not be cured!! Only way is stem cells and I can't see the deaf going for those. It doesn't need to be cured but more awareness is needed!!

I think you are giving the poster far too much credit for philosophical thought, but I do understand what you are saying. That is the audist nature of our society.

I may be. I haven't seen much of TXgolfers postings, so I'm not sure... I do tend to think more into what people are saying than they mean to say... so its a definite possibility. I do agree with you, that is is the unfortunate audist nature of our society. I would love to see that change... but will it change in our lifetime?

Deafness will not be cured!! Only way is stem cells and I can't see the deaf going for those. It doesn't need to be cured but more awareness is needed!!

:hmm: I guess that leaves me no choice. As an advanced technological race, I will solve the deaf issue on Earth once and for all. On December 25th, 2011... I will take my reindeer team and visit all the Audist in the country and remove their hearing. And, just in case I am spotted, I will be wearing my shiny new red jacket and snow pants. After all, I would hate to be mistaken for a human burglar. This is, after all, my gift to mankind (and womankind). :D

Sorta, it's the new take on Plato. The old "Necessity,who is the mother of invention" The new "Inconvenience,who is the mother of invention" It is actually a reflection of the way all things seem to be in this age. See the cell phone and it's many upgrades.

Quite interesting. I think there will be a cure for many things in the future, but I think there will be many more diseases as well. But maybe, only maybe, people will be able to accept one day, that not everything and everbody needs to be cured

Well, deaf kids due to measles..I'm pretty sure you can find them here somewhere. In Germany you can take your kid to a measles party. You throw a bunch of healthy kids together with sick kids in order to catch the measles. (We don't have a compulsory vaccination)
Here in our city we never got rid of the measles, because of a "Vaccine fatigue".
Whooping cough can be found, too (two of my daugthers friends already cought it. It is not that uncommon)

Quite interesting. I think there will be a cure for many things in the future, but I think there will be many more diseases as well. But maybe, only maybe, people will be able to accept one day, that not everything and everbody needs to be cured

Well, deaf kids due to measles..I'm pretty sure you can find them here somewhere. In Germany you can take your kid to a measles party. You throw a bunch of healthy kids together with sick kids in order to catch the measles. (We don't have a compulsory vaccination)
Here in our city we never got rid of the measles, because of a "Vaccine fatigue".
Whooping cough can be found, too (two of my daugthers friends already cought it. It is not that uncommon)

Do you think the risks are worth it? Personally I would prefer a vaccination to the risks of measles and whooping cough - especially with my children.

You know, I don't care if they never find a "cure" for my deafness for the rest of my life. I grew up with it.

My old audiologist for years tried to get me to get choclear implants. I never did, because I didn't see that they'd make my hearing any better, or more importantly, any more useful.

I mean, right now, I can listen to music (can't understand lyrics), can talk to hearies one-on-one, in a quiet place, while looking straight at their face (still very difficult). I don't see that a choclear implant would make things "better" than that.

I'm deaf, and there's nothing wrong with that. I have a life, I'm going to school, learning ASL, making friends in the deaf community. It's all good.

The truth is, life isn't easy, but I have what I need, or I can find what I need. Especially since meeting deaf people, I feel more confident that I what I need for a happier life for the rest of my life, exists on this planet.

I don't need a "cure."

And a "cure" would not be the end of it. It would mean years of speech training, learning how to fit into hearing society. Their mannerisms, their social/cultural quirks that we never picked up on because we didn't hear them growing up. There's a lot more there than just a "cure." But, I'm not saying that I wouldn't consider a "cure" if one came about. I'm saying that I don't "need" it.

In this life, I have what I need, I can find what I need, and I can work hard for what I need and get it. That includes (after all this time) a fully-communicative social life through the Deaf community.

That's good enough for me.

Do you think the risks are worth it? Personally I would prefer a vaccination to the risks of measles and whooping cough - especially with my children.

Well, I wouldn't go to such a party, but I don't prefer a vaccination. Funny thing..Our pediatrician was the first one to mention the possibility to skip the vaccination. I'd say only 30-50% of the kids we know have all vaccinations.
It is a critical topic around here...

Sorry for the OT

What I actually wonder about is whether deaf people would say no to a cure. I'm not talking about CIs and those things, but a real cure. How many would say: No, thank you ?

What I actually wonder about is whether deaf people would say no to a cure. I'm not talking about CIs and those things, but a real cure. How many would say: No, thank you ?

It is not as simple as a "cure".

A deaf person who had been deaf from birth could not be "cured" and that's all there is for the rest of their life. They'd have to learn how to speak clearly, using their new hearing. Years of speech training. They'd have to learn all the social and culture cues in hearing society. It would probably be a very difficult and possibly traumatic experience.

I think it would be much easier for late-deafened people to re-integrate into hearing society again, rather than for deaf-from-birth people to integrate into hearing society for the first time.

If they've learned how to function in the world with deafness, making a living, and enjoy a social life in the deaf community, why would someone at age 50 or 70 attempt everything that comes with a "cure"?

See, a cure for a bad heart would be a heart transplant with a heart grown from your own heart cells, etc. A cure for diabetes would be to replace the pancreas or whatever needs to be fixed. After this, you go on living your life.

Curing deafness isn't as simple as that. It's not over when the doctor signs off on your checkup and says you're "cured". You've got a whole new life to figure out and integrate into. It won't be easy. What if you are one of the people who can't handle it, psychologically and so on?

You know, I don't care if they never find a "cure" for my deafness for the rest of my life. I grew up with it.

My old audiologist for years tried to get me to get choclear implants. I never did, because I didn't see that they'd make my hearing any better, or more importantly, any more useful.

I mean, right now, I can listen to music (can't understand lyrics), can talk to hearies one-on-one, in a quiet place, while looking straight at their face (still very difficult). I don't see that a choclear implant would make things "better" than that.

I'm deaf, and there's nothing wrong with that. I have a life, I'm going to school, learning ASL, making friends in the deaf community. It's all good.

The truth is, life isn't easy, but I have what I need, or I can find what I need. Especially since meeting deaf people, I feel more confident that I what I need for a happier life for the rest of my life, exists on this planet.

I don't need a "cure."

And a "cure" would not be the end of it. It would mean years of speech training, learning how to fit into hearing society. Their mannerisms, their social/cultural quirks that we never picked up on because we didn't hear them growing up. There's a lot more there than just a "cure." But, I'm not saying that I wouldn't consider a "cure" if one came about. I'm saying that I don't "need" it.

In this life, I have what I need, I can find what I need, and I can work hard for what I need and get it. That includes (after all this time) a fully-communicative social life through the Deaf community.

That's good enough for me.

You are taking words from my mouth. You will be contacted shortly by my attorney.

:giggle:

Good post!

I may be. I haven't seen much of TXgolfers postings, so I'm not sure... I do tend to think more into what people are saying than they mean to say... so its a definite possibility. I do agree with you, that is is the unfortunate audist nature of our society. I would love to see that change... but will it change in our lifetime?

I have hope. I know I refuse to let it slide by me unchecked.:P

They are doing the same thing here in the states. I cannot grasp the mindset of someone who refuses to vaccinate, but will willingly expose their child to an illness that could have numerous negative consequences to immunize them.:crazy:

Some colleagues and I were discussing just this topic at a professional seminar last month. There could be some legal issues raised in regard to child endangerment from purposeful exposure like that.

A deaf person who had been deaf from birth could not be "cured" and that's all there is for the rest of their life. They'd have to learn how to speak clearly, using their new hearing. Years of speech training. They'd have to learn all the social and culture cues in hearing society. It would probably be a very difficult and possibly traumatic experience.

I think it would be much easier for late-deafened people to re-integrate into hearing society again, rather than for deaf-from-birth people to integrate into hearing society for the first time.

If they've learned how to function in the world with deafness, making a living, and enjoy a social life in the deaf community, why would someone at age 50 or 70 attempt everything that comes with a "cure"?

See, a cure for a bad heart would be a heart transplant with a heart grown from your own heart cells, etc. A cure for diabetes would be to replace the pancreas or whatever needs to be fixed. After this, you go on living your life.

Curing deafness isn't as simple as that. It's not over when the doctor signs off on your checkup and says you're "cured". You've got a whole new life to figure out and integrate into. It won't be easy. What if you are one of the people who can't handle it, psychologically and so on?

I agree with you on this point. Still, I'm wondering how many would give it a shot.

They are doing the same thing here in the states. I cannot grasp the mindset of someone who refuses to vaccinate, but will willingly expose their child to an illness that could have numerous negative consequences to immunize them.:crazy:

Some colleagues and I were discussing just this topic at a professional seminar last month. There could be some legal issues raised in regard to child endangerment from purposeful exposure like that.
I can grasp it somehow. At first I was speechless, but then I tried to be open minded and talked to some of those parents. Mainly, they don't trust the pharma industry and think they just want to sell their products, in this case vaccines. They all said it was safer and healthier to catch a certain illness in early childhood then later on in life. I looked into that a bit, but there isn't really that much information out there, just because no one really knows how a childhood diseas affects you as an adult (long term studies, etc.) One mother was actually convinced that the vaccination caused the autism of her son.
What I can grasp: They all just want what's best for their children. Still, I really don't get it.

I wonder, what make hearing medical doctors so hurry enough to "fix" future Deaf generations?? :hmm:

Right on! I do think that any cures for a disabilty is going to be effective in people who aquirred their disabilty. Making a kid with a disabilty "cured" would be like trying to make an X-Man function "normally"

Back