I Pod Touch

Deaf Smith

Reaction score
Curious, if anyone uses a Ipod Touch AKA Itouch? I am considering moving to a Itouch early in 2010 when my Tmobile Sidekick contract runs up. Reasons are that I would be able to avoid a monthly fee, and take advantage of WiFI speeds for the Itouch. The downside is occasionally not being in a WiFI 'hotspot' or zone.

Anyone use a IPod Touch exclusively as their mobile communication device? If you have one but still use a blackberry, etc that is fine, I am still curious.

Curious, if anyone uses a Ipod Touch AKA Itouch? I am considering moving to a Itouch early in 2010 when my Tmobile Sidekick contract runs up. Reasons are that I would be able to avoid a monthly fee, and take advantage of WiFI speeds for the Itouch. The downside is occasionally not being in a WiFI 'hotspot' or zone.

Anyone use a IPod Touch exclusively as their mobile communication device? If you have one but still use a blackberry, etc that is fine, I am still curious.

It isn't easier to find WiFi hotspot and isn't in anywhere but just small range. If you want cell phone with cheap monthly then go to Sprint relay and buy any phone that you like, you maybe like Android phone and monthly bill is $30.

I see. What I envision myself doing is, using the WiFI at home, contacting friends, arranging a time and place to meet, then going. More and more places have WiFI, and most of my friends have a WiFi spot. In Oregon it will become illegal in 2010-on to text while driving, so having a IpodTouch would keep me from checking it too often while driving, or carrying on converstations while I am driving. It is a nice way to bust up traffic by chatting on a phone, but it's simply not pratical or smart.

Also with companies like Clear providing WiFi in downtown Portland Oregon, and around Portland, having WiFI makes more sense than having a phone that crawls on the internet. While Clear is expensive at $50 a month for unlimited usage, at the moment, I expect that market to grow and monthly fees for unlimited WiFI will become cheaper.

A downside to being 'WiFI' only is not being able to use the ipod to get help if my car breaks down on the side of the road.

I started thinking this when I realized I could not properly use Twitter on the Tmobile Sidekick I have the 2008 version). I also have been with T moible for maybe 7 years. It gets redunant seeing Tmobile release a 'NEW' phone every 6 months, when they are clearly not pushing the sidekick to offer more things sooner, rather than waiting and waiting for T mobile/ Danger to actually make an attractive Sidekick. I got an ad for the Tmobile Motorola Cliq which looks nice, but I fear will have a hefty monthly price tag like the IPhone 3G does.

I see. What I envision myself doing is, using the WiFI at home, contacting friends, arranging a time and place to meet, then going. More and more places have WiFI, and most of my friends have a WiFi spot. In Oregon it will become illegal in 2010-on to text while driving, so having a IpodTouch would keep me from checking it too often while driving, or carrying on converstations while I am driving. It is a nice way to bust up traffic by chatting on a phone, but it's simply not pratical or smart.

Also with companies like Clear providing WiFi in downtown Portland Oregon, and around Portland, having WiFI makes more sense than having a phone that crawls on the internet. While Clear is expensive at $50 a month for unlimited usage, at the moment, I expect that market to grow and monthly fees for unlimited WiFI will become cheaper.

A downside to being 'WiFI' only is not being able to use the ipod to get help if my car breaks down on the side of the road.

I started thinking this when I realized I could not properly use Twitter on the Tmobile Sidekick I have the 2008 version). I also have been with T moible for maybe 7 years. It gets redunant seeing Tmobile release a 'NEW' phone every 6 months, when they are clearly not pushing the sidekick to offer more things sooner, rather than waiting and waiting for T mobile/ Danger to actually make an attractive Sidekick. I got an ad for the Tmobile Motorola Cliq which looks nice, but I fear will have a hefty monthly price tag like the IPhone 3G does.

Sadly, Motorola Cliq require voice plan, along with data, that's just tombile and Sprint will have Android phone with QWERTY keyboard slide on Nov 1, check out this website and all are cost $30 per month.
Sprint Relay Store

They have HTC Hero too but no QWERTY keyboard so you have use on screen text.

Sadly, Motorola Cliq require voice plan, along with data, that's just tombile and Sprint will have Android phone with QWERTY keyboard slide on Nov 1, check out this website and all are cost $30 per month.
Sprint Relay Store

They have HTC Hero too but no QWERTY keyboard so you have use on screen text.

HTC Hero looks good.

New Verizon Motorola DROID but I don't know data plan price??
Motorola DROID official on Verizon: $199 on contract, coming November 6th (video)

Same applies to BB and other smartphone, $55 for unlimited data/text, excluding tethering that can be add for $30.

Droid will be my next phone when upgrade in April 2010 at discount price.

Will you play Motorola Droid at Verizon store when it will come in there?

Did you see new HTC HD2 yet? That is other iPhone killer again. I suspect that I will have to wait when HTC HD2 will come to AT&T or other carrier stores after I had checked AT&T HTC Tilt 2 and Pure there.

Check this out: HTC - Products - HTC HD2 - Overview

Did you see new HTC HD2 yet? That is other iPhone killer again. I suspect that I will have to wait when HTC HD2 will come to AT&T or other carrier stores after I had checked AT&T HTC Tilt 2 and Pure there.

HD2 look sweet! I would like to check it out some day if it come to AT&T.

Thanks for sharing the link!

But still using Windows Mobile 6.5

Hope it will have Windows Mobile 7 next year and they offer HD2 can upgrade to Windows Mobile 7

Windows Mobile 6.5 is still similar to 6.0 and 6.1 with bigger button for touch button some still ugly small buttons etc.

Windows Mobile 7 will be totally different and new redesign OS similar like Andriod and iPhone and can do both download apps and install or use Microsoft apps store.

No vibration

iTouch is very similar to iPhone, but there is no vibration in iTouch! So how do you know if you got messages? :roll:

I'm sorry, it's very ridiculous to to get iPod Touch when you realize wi-fi is short-range and there is no way you could get it use anywhere but limited area. Unless you live in Chicago and use Max Wi-fi service, it would be neat. Sadly, you couldn't aware of new incoming message. You had to check every time you check like on browser on computer.

HTC HD2 is Windows Mobile (WM) so not interest to buy any phone that has WM in it, also it is att too so don't want back to att.

I don't have my current Sidekick2008 on vibration, I check it often enough, so I feel virbation is not a selling point for me. Portland has Clear which is a WiMax company, I also think WiMax will become normal in most metro cities, and suburbs, malls, etc. I probably will buy an iTouch and hold onto my Sidekick for a month or two and see if I feel comfortable with making the jump.

I don't have my current Sidekick2008 on vibration, I check it often enough, so I feel virbation is not a selling point for me. Portland has Clear which is a WiMax company, I also think WiMax will become normal in most metro cities, and suburbs, malls, etc. I probably will buy an iTouch and hold onto my Sidekick for a month or two and see if I feel comfortable with making the jump.

Well...the iTouch is NOT good for switching apps to apps....it gets annoying when you go to a program and it will reconnect itself then u chat with someone...I suggest you get a 3g phone and accept it. iTouch is not a solution to a cell phone user....in my opinion. I have an iTouch AND a phone myself. I suggest you start looking for a 3g phone for $30 a month plan under Sprint or whatever you prefer...but avoid Windows Mobile based ones.

HTC HD2 is Windows Mobile (WM) so not interest to buy any phone that has WM in it, also it is att too so don't want back to att.

Well, that is your decision. I can't force you get one at AT&T. But Verizon will get HTC HD2 that where it will have Android software in near future.

Well...the iTouch is NOT good for switching apps to apps....it gets annoying when you go to a program and it will reconnect itself then u chat with someone...I suggest you get a 3g phone and accept it. iTouch is not a solution to a cell phone user....in my opinion. I have an iTouch AND a phone myself. I suggest you start looking for a 3g phone for $30 a month plan under Sprint or whatever you prefer...but avoid Windows Mobile based ones.

Let me get this right. I'm in an application, say iCal, and someone IM's me, I have to wait for the iTouch to 'disconnect' and 're-connect' to get into AIM? Even with WiFI? How long does this take, 5-10 seconds? It does sound like I would prefer a full iPhone rather than a iTouch.

Let me get this right. I'm in an application, say iCal, and someone IM's me, I have to wait for the iTouch to 'disconnect' and 're-connect' to get into AIM? Even with WiFI? How long does this take, 5-10 seconds? It does sound like I would prefer a full iPhone rather than a iTouch.

No, he is tell you that iPod Touch is single task, not multi-task which mean, you have to activate the app each time you're use. That mean AIM for example, not activate unless there is specs app that be connect in server itself while you're on browser or check email

No, he is tell you that iPod Touch is single task, not multi-task which mean, you have to activate the app each time you're use. That mean AIM for example, not activate unless there is specs app that be connect in server itself while you're on browser or check email

Yes...that's right. iPhone will do the same thing as well, I think.

Back