I-Phone or HTC EVO or other?

Deborah

Reaction score
Christmas shopping online today for my daughter who is 17 years old and is deaf. So hard to decide what kind of phone to get her!! Here are some stats on what she does now:

At the end of contract with T-Mobile Sidekick '08--
she had great unlimited text and internet plan UNTIL
they changed it this summer(long story but not so
great now!)--she can still text but no more internet!

She uses Sorenson Videophone to sign with friends

She uses Skype, Purple, and maybe other things on
her laptop to sign with friends

She uses Facebook--I think instant messaging?--to
chat online with friends(texting online)

NOW: she wants a phone that will give her all of
that and more! Is there a phone and a phone company
that has a great smartphone for deaf people--one
that has a data only plan(not paying for voice plan
that isn't used)? T-Mobile and Sidekick was fine at
first, but not great now--any upgrades with T-Mobile
recommended? Or should we switch to Sprint, with
the HTC EVO? Or...what about the I-Phone? Is that only
ATT or Verizon? I currently have a Verizon phone plan
and wonder if adding her to MY plan with an I-Phone
is a good idea, or is that hard to do--I need voice plan
and she does not. Or--should we switch to ATT for
I-Phones for both?

She wants to use her phone for: texting, Facebook,
and HOPEFULLY video chat--so she needs a phone
that can do all of that, plus with a plan that is not
"out of this world" price wise!

Any suggestions? It is SO confusing!!!

guys should answer you some questions. im female. I own a evo shift htc and love it. for your kid, it would be just evo that has two faces for videophone.

Start with how much you want to pay per month first.
Then you can figure out what phone you can get.
Fortunately for you, the iPhone 4S is usable on Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T (Same phone for all).
iPhone 4 has 2 different models, one for Sprint/Verizon, and one for AT&T.

Sprint-----------
HTC EVO 4G is good phone but it's getting a few years old. It is 1.5 years old now.
You can only get any EVO on sprint. Also, sprint is good in some locations, bad in others. It will depend on your location if you want the best experience.

The deaf plan is starting at $29.99/mo + $10.00/mo for a smartphone. Depending on which phone choice you get, you will have to pay anywhere up to ~$200-~$300 for activation maximum. This first time fee is same for any other carrier's phone, depending on which one you buy.

List of deaf plan phones at sprint: Sprint Relay Store
Sprint data only plan: Click here

Sprint's family plan is a little costly, you can see the options here:
Sprint family plans

AT&T-----------
AT&T's deaf plan is called the TAP Plan. These are made for iPhone 3/3GS/4 but I don't know if you can use it with other phones like 4s.

Starts at $35.00/mo for 200MB (which is easy to go over) or $45.00/mo for 2gb (normal) or $65.00/mo for 4GB.

Add this with the cost of the subsidized phone. I believe iPhone 4 is around $99-150 with 2 year plan, iPhone 4S is $199 and up all with 2 year plans.

AT&T TAP Plan: Click here

AT&T Family plan:
You will spend more money monthly if you put her on your family plan on AT&T. If you already have unlimited texting then you will spend less, this is the cheapest of all plans. I'm not sure what options you have now but it generally costs:
$30 for unlimited texting all lines (subtract $30 if you have it already)
$10 for a new line
$15, $25 or $45 for 200mb/2GB/4GB data plan
--
$55 / $65 / $75 for one more family line
$25 / $35 / $45 if you already have unlimited texting.

T-mobile-----------
Tmobile no longer has a deaf plan I think.

Plus the cost of the phone, the unlimited plans should be:
Family plan: 2 or more phones $69.99/mo each line.
Single plan unlimited: 1 phone $89.99/mo
Single plan 2GB data: $79.99/mo or $89.99/mo for 5GB.

Verizon-----------
Verizon's deaf plan:
Family plan: $9.99 per line + $69.98/mo
Single plan 2GB data: $54.99

Verizon deaf plan: Click here

Verizon family plan: Click here

I went to US Cellular recently. They told me that I would get 5 GB of internet use for $60 a month. I don't know if any US Cellular phone would take video chats.

I Phone is good. I think you would need a 4 or 4S to have video phone. My girlfriend is hearing and has 3 GS so I cannot be sure, but I don't think 3 GS have video phone capability. I would be wrong.

Maybe EVO Shift from Sprint.

I recently got AT T Samsung Captivate Glide and it's so so. I seem to have problems with camera on it. Ohhh well.

Thank you so much for all of this information! I will begin looking into each one right now! And thanks to everyone for their advice! I hope I pick the right one for her! :)

Here is a rundown of how much you will pay per month on each if you start a new activation and plan on either 4 of these carriers.

Sprint-----------
Deaf individual only: $39.99/mo
Family plan unlimited: minimum plan $139.99/mo for 2 phones, both lines with unlimited text and unlimited data.
The line with the smartphone includes the $10 cost for using a smartphone, otherwise it's $10 off.

AT&T-----------
Deaf individual only: $35.00/mo (200mb) or $45.00/mo (2GB) or $65.00/mo (4GB)
Family plan: minimum plan $114.99/mo for 2 phones, both lines with unlimited text and 1 line with 2GB data.

T-mobile-----------
Individual only: $89.99/mo unlimited everything (this includes voice, you can't remove it)
Family plan unlimited: $139.98/mo for 2 phones, both lines with unlimited text and 2GB data.

Verizon-----------
Individual deaf plan: $54.99 unlimited everything
I'm not too sure how family plan on Verizon works, as I've never looked into this one before so I could be wrong. I checked this by looking on their website here
Family plan: minimum plan $129.98 for 2 lines, with unlimited text and one (or both?) lines with 2GB data.

So, if you want the cheapest in terms of family payment, AT&T is the way to go. Sprint's individual deaf plan is the best for one line.
There are also prepaid and pay-per-use like Virgin, Boost mobile, US Cellular and stuff you'll see in walmart. I'm not too well versed in those but they are generally pretty cheap. They piggyback off of these major carrier's services.

Well first of all, what kind of internet,TV,phone provider are you currently using? If you have Verizon FIOS along with wireless phone, you can add Iphone to your family plan, it maybe cheaper compare to get ATT with TAP plan. If you don't have Verizon FIOS, like Comcast, then it's better off to get ATT with TAP plan. This is where you can look at and compare to it.
Oh..my recommendation is to get iPhone (with good rubbery cover protection!)

Most cheaper plan for Deaf:

T-mobile:
$30 per month: 100 min voice; unlimited text and data (4G speed, but it will be throttled after 5GB - no Fee). No contract.

FYI, you can add $10 for International Unlimited talk and text as additional services if you travel overseas alot. :)

Don't forget that Straight Talk has just released an Android phone with unlimited text and data for $45/mo. It might be worth looking into.

As for me?
I own iPhone 4 through Verizon. I don't have the deaf plan as my parents insist on being able to call me despite the fact that I fumble through phone conversations at best.

I pay around $100/mo for my plan.

Last edited:
what about HTC Google Nexus One?

It is a good phone, but it doesn't have a front cam. If you want a front cam, I suggest you Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy II S, or Nexus S.

Mine is Galaxy Nexus on T-mobile, I love it! It is 100x better than Iphone. :D

Nothing beats $30 per month on everything unlimited (except voice). :D

oh i didnt even realise some mobiles have 2 camera, front and back , i see why all the fuss in this thread now...
hmmm got me thinking too for the next mobile since im due for a new one within 4 months before they cease CDMA signals in NZ...

Back