I ought to know this by now..

You will never get away from PSE. There will always be people around whose knowledge is limited. Some of them do not have a clue how much they do not know. There are people out there who know more signs than I do, but have no clue about topicalization, classifiers, or placement, let alone morphemes (And there is a lot I don't know about morphemes) but they are totally unaware these things exist.

And just because a person was born deaf does not mean they know these things. Many born deaf people have not been exposed to ASL until they were adults.

Personally I've almost never been around D/deaf without at least one hearie present, which means I SimCom, and it doesn't matter what you do one language or the other or both suffer when you SimCom. But if you don't SimCom who do you leave out?

I applaud you for always staying as close to ASL as you can.

One way you can begin is to use ASL classifiers when describing things to hearies: They will understand better than when using English words alone.

You will never get away from PSE. There will always be people around whose knowledge is limited. Some of them do not have a clue how much they do not know. There are people out there who know more signs than I do, but have no clue about topicalization, classifiers, or placement, let alone morphemes (And there is a lot I don't know about morphemes) but they are totally unaware these things exist.

And just because a person was born deaf does not mean they know these things. Many born deaf people have not been exposed to ASL until they were adults.

Personally I've almost never been around D/deaf without at least one hearie present, which means I SimCom, and it doesn't matter what you do one language or the other or both suffer when you SimCom. But if you don't SimCom who do you leave out?

I applaud you for always staying as close to ASL as you can.

One way you can begin is to use ASL classifiers when describing things to hearies: They will understand better than when using English words alone.

I'm really, really BAD at SimCom...either my signing sucks or my english comes out jumbled.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I set high standards for myself, as you can see.

Back