I need some help

littlealexmarie

Reaction score
I'm losing my hearing. I've been to an ENT and an audiologist and all they did was say I'm fine and they blew me off. Now I'm going again to an ENT and I'm super nervous. (I have a video blog. I'll post the link later)

Anyways, classes are going to start soon and I'm very nervous on how to deal with my teachers and classmates while also dealing with my hearing loss. basically I'm super nervous and scared.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Your feelings are completely normal. I'm going to let people more knowledgeable tell you how to proceed getting accomodations. Welcome to AD. I hope that you find it helpful and supportive like I do.

I'm losing my hearing. I've been to an ENT and an audiologist and all they did was say I'm fine and they blew me off. Now I'm going again to an ENT and I'm super nervous. (I have a video blog. I'll post the link later)

Anyways, classes are going to start soon and I'm very nervous on how to deal with my teachers and classmates while also dealing with my hearing loss. basically I'm super nervous and scared.

When the ENT refers you back to the audiologist, you need to get a copy of your audiogram and a letter from the audi interpreting the audiogram. As soon as you have that documentation, you can begin with accommodations. Are you in high school or college?

I am in college.

and thank you for responding!! :)

No problem. You will need to contact the college disability services (sometimes they call it the Institutional Equity Office) and let them know that you have a documented disability. You can then request any services that you will need.

For someone with a hearing loss, the ususal accommodations are prefeerential seating, extended test time, a notetaker, and depending on the individual, a sign language interpreter or the school provided FM system.

I would wait to list the services needed until you get your audiogram,though. You may need only some of the services. But then again, it doesn't hurt to request all of them, and then drop them if they aren't helping.

Also, on each class syllabus, there is a statement regarding disability services. You will need to follow each of the professors protocol of accommodating students.

thank you jillio!! Here is my video blog if anyone is interested. It is just a journey through my hearing loss.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTad-pGm33E]‪Hearing Loss?‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Back