I need some help.

princessolney

Reaction score
Hi my name is Mary-Jo Olney.. I am an ASL 102 student at crafton hills college in Califorina. One of my project is an interview. I was wondering if someone would be willing to let me interview them. It will just be 10 questions about your culture. Let me know if I can. My email address is maryjoolney@yahoo.com thank you..

Hi my name is Mary-Jo Olney.. I am an ASL 102 student at crafton hills college in Califorina. One of my project is an interview. I was wondering if someone would be willing to let me interview them. It will just be 10 questions about your culture. Let me know if I can. My email address is maryjoolney@yahoo.com thank you..

Of course you can! Just post them here. We delight in answering questions for new ASL students!!

:welcome:

thank you soo much... here are my ten questions

1. What does being deaf mean to you?
2. Do you feel that deaf people have equal opportunities for advancement in the workforce?
3. Do you think that we should expect the general public to make more accommodations for the deaf community?
4. Do you feel you have an advantage or disadvantage being deaf/hearing when playing sports?
5. Do you view being deaf a disability?
6. Should a deaf child be mainstreamed?
7. Should deaf people get cochlear implants? Should deaf children?
8. If you implanted your child would you still teach them ASL?
9. Would you involve them in the deaf community if they were implanted?
10. Should high schools off ASL as a foreign language?

thank you soo much... here are my ten questions

To me it means a perpetual state of being similar to that attained by Zen meditation.
2. Do you feel that deaf people have equal opportunities for advancement in the workforce?
No
3. Do you think that we should expect the general public to make more accommodations for the deaf community?
No. The general public would mean individuals, many of whom may go a lifetime without meeting a deaf .
4. Do you feel you have an advantage or disadvantage being deaf/hearing when playing sports?
I don't play sports.
No
Yes if there is a good Deaf program in place at the school.
It should be a matter of individual choice. I would not get one.
Yes
Yes
Yes

Hope this helps you. :)

Being Deaf mean to me is so much special that is overcome the odds. Show my pride of being a Deaf that can do anything but hear. Proud to be part of Deafhood where i able to share or go on the journey in Deaf Culture to exposure to world and communities to learn. Thats why it is truly special.

Yeah, they shall feel same thing with others who wanted empower themselves that they wanted to be part of or be in. They shouldnt feel so limited but they should BELIEVE what they CAN and SHOW to prove. For instance, Im former Animal Control employee, i proved them wrong because I can do anything but hear.

Oh yeah, why not? we can feel the opportunities to be deserve.

No, myself im playing sports since when i was little boy. I played a lot teams with hearings or Deafies. There are only difference: signing and gestures. Thats positive side for me to along with. I dont think that i have any disadvantage because they find themselves interesting to learn how to along with Deaf, yes it will be very difficult for them at start but at the along, it'll be all good to go. Only advantage is: can yell at referee because umpire/referee wont understand me at all, just players will.

Unfortunely, no. Just only cant hear, is that disability? No, we capable to do everything but yes, there are several that limit us but we can overcome it when we have unity.

Oh yes, of course. Im one of mainstreamed in my childhood. Heck, give them a opportunity experience. Why not? We cant limit them for their experience.

Its up to them, their decision and their life where they want to fit in or learning to be curiously. We cant say no since its not our body and its their body which it is design to make decision, we dont.

If so, of course, ASL is language! Its not gesture, it is SIGNING LANGUAGE!

Oh yes, they are allow to learn where is their root that come from.

Yes. Thats include colleges/universities, dont forget elementary can be part of. Its given opportunities for them to have this experience when they approach Deaf individuals. Its cool, though.

Is there limited interviewing? If so, am I too late to answer? If not, I'll answer to them first thing in the morning since I must go to bed now.

1. What does being deaf mean to you? It means I cannot hear as well as others.
2. Do you feel that deaf people have equal opportunities for advancement in the workforce? No way.
3. Do you think that we should expect the general public to make more accommodations for the deaf community? Yes. Why not CC all TV shows? Why not offer push button menus at drive thrus? The list is long.
4. Do you feel you have an advantage or disadvantage being deaf/hearing when playing sports? For some sports, an advantage. For others, a disadvantage. I cannot deer hunt, although I never would. Hard to hear them sneaking up on you. I like lack of hearing for some sports. Helps me focus.
5. Do you view being deaf a disability? It is an inability to hear well.
6. Should a deaf child be mainstreamed? That is up to each individual family.
7. Should deaf people get cochlear implants? If they wish and can afford it. Should deaf children? I will not comment on this. I have no children.
8. If you implanted your child would you still teach them ASL? If I had children that were deaf, they would learn ASL.
9. Would you involve them in the deaf community if they were implanted? Yes.
10. Should high schools off ASL as a foreign language? Of course. I would prefer a "secondary" language to a "foreign" language.

Back