I need ideas for a paper I need to write for Composition.

What should be my subject matter for a compare and contrast paper?

• Hearing college readiness and deaf college readiness?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • deaf daily life and hearing daily life?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • job opportunities for deaf and hearing?

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • deaf cultural views and hearing cultural views?

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other - post your suggestion below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Compare and Contrast paper due this week that is two and a half pages in length. I wanted to compare and contrast the hearing and deaf but I feel that subject is far too broad to cover in just two a half pages. I would like some suggestions and I have a poll I am going to add with my own suggestions, with an 'other' option for you to suggest something not listed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-xD

I voted college readiness. I am assuming that your professor want you to have at least a couple of resources, and this topic should be easy to research.

I voted Job opportuintes for deaf because I think that it is limited for some that are legally blind in addtion to being deaf or HOH.

I voted Job opportuintes for deaf because I think that it is limited for some that are legally blind in addtion to being deaf or HOH.

I also placed a vote for "job opportunities." It would be interesting if you could compare/contrast job opportunities that exist for the hearing to those that exist for the deafblind. As you're probably aware, the deafblind population is quite small. Because of that, discrimmination on behalf of hearies and difficulty locating funding for adaptive technology, the unemployment rate of the deafblind is above 90%.

I picked job opportunities as well. It's a subject many of us deaf people struggle with, so job opps for the deaf (and deafblind too) versus job opps for the hearing would be an interesting paper. Vocational Rehabilitation services could be a good aspect in that the average hearing person walking in off the street wouldn't qualify for VR services, but most deaf people qualify. And some hearing people might shout that as unfair, but on the other hand, the services VR provides for the deaf can be limited and unhelpful. I think some of us can speak for that! Just some compare and contrast ideas. Good luck!

I picked job opportunities as well. It's a subject many of us deaf people struggle with, so job opps for the deaf (and deafblind too) versus job opps for the hearing would be an interesting paper. Vocational Rehabilitation services could be a good aspect in that the average hearing person walking in off the street wouldn't qualify for VR services, but most deaf people qualify. And some hearing people might shout that as unfair, but on the other hand, the services VR provides for the deaf can be limited and unhelpful. I think some of us can speak for that! Just some compare and contrast ideas. Good luck!

1iagree.gif
, I also picked job opportunities as well too.

I voted Deaf cultural views vs Hearing cultural views. I hope you do well on this paper whatever your topic may be. :)

Job opportunities -- is waht I voted, becuase there is a cultural difference in that. You can tell.

Looks like hearing job opps vs. deaf job opps is in the lead. Now I need to skim some articles and books on this at the library to get a good start. Wiki is a good start but because the material is often user edited it can be considered an unreliable source.

Also, I may be interviewing a couple of you to have added support and depth to my paper.

I found another dumb statement whilst skimming an article on about.com regarding SSDI

The Social Security website says there are three ways to apply. A deaf person can apply online, file a disability claim in person, or apply over the phone by talking to a Social Security representative.

:lol:

no wonder some of us have such difficulty.

anyway back to skimming articles.....

Jacob, I may PM you in a day or two when I have my outline completed and organized.

I found another dumb statement whilst skimming an article on about.com regarding SSDI

The Social Security website says there are three ways to apply. A deaf person can apply online, file a disability claim in person, or apply over the phone by talking to a Social Security representative.

:lol:

no wonder some of us have such difficulty.

anyway back to skimming articles.....

Jacob, I may PM you in a day or two when I have my outline completed and organized.

FYI, Social Security does have a TTY number. (1-800-325-0778)

Dixie,

If you plan on including the perspective of a deafblind person, please feel free to send me a PM.

I will likely include the perspective of a deafblind but I am still in the outlining and organizing stages of my paper. Basically just getting my thoughts on paper so to speak.

Ive also realized something interesting while skimming - should my employer close its doors, I would not only qualify for unemployment, but I would also qualify for SSDI, vocational rehab (not that its worth anything in my area), and possibly even grants to continue my education towards my degree in English Education. Veddy interesting but that is really for an entirely different thread.

Im am bumping this back up before I go to bed so those who check AD.com in the mornings will get a chance to see this. Night ya'll!

. . . Wiki is a good start but because the material is often user edited it can be considered an unreliable source.

Ah, Dixie, are you sure you want to use Wiki? Professors will flat out tell you not to use it, as well as other sources of "information" that have bad information. Plus, professors check students' papers out these days and if you quote a source from there, you're busted and a great big F will appear on the back page of your paper. Your college/university should have resources in their library to go to and should all be online and various academic search engines. Those are your best bets, dear.

job opportunities for deaf and hearing? is what I put down because, as you can read on various members' posts here, as well as their signatures (especially on your thread and above my post), deaf need help for job opportunities, however, I've been lambasted for editing peoples' posts because their grammar is so bad that it's the only way I can even begin to understand what they're trying to say. Surely, in today's society, we ALL need to speak clearly and be able to write, no matter what we're writing. Remember, the bottom line is the dollar amount on a paycheck, so if someone can't use proper grammar or unable to spell, they're going to get the crummy jobs no one wants, like what you're doing now. I'm not picking on you, just making a point, as you're well aware. :)

Back