I need help with XP and HDD

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
How I can create partition on my 2nd HDD without need third party app?

I have 1st HDD that's for C: and 2nd HDD for D:, D: is used to store of my big games and C: is stored for entire of OS, apps and some games.

I need to make partition for 2nd HDD to install Vista or Linux, separated from D: into half?

I tried look in CP and cannot find it.

You need multi-boot. It is some pain in the neck to set up.
Sorry, I do not remember how I did set up multi-boot.

Why not you try to google to find some good instruction.

You need multi-boot. It is some pain in the neck to set up.
Sorry, I do not remember how I did set up multi-boot.

Why not you try to google to find some good instruction.

Yup, I'm realized that boot up on PC isn't same as Mac, it's more complicated to make boot up into XP, Linux or Vista.

I had tried google up but seems not good explain or accessible for average users.

Pacman - you do need to use 3rd party app because since you already have files in D-drive, you cannot use windows to create partition because it will erase everything. What I'm doing right now is installing Ubuntu via VMWARE. I have 2 hdd in my comp. My C-drive for OS+programs and D-drive for all files. I can install/uninstall as many OS as I want with VMWARE.

PartitionMagic allows you to create/delete partition on drive with existing files but I'm quite weary about it now. Last time I did that.... something got fubar while it was creating partition for you and then I ended up having to reformat everything.

Pacman - you do need to use 3rd party app because since you already have files in D-drive, you cannot use windows to create partition because it will erase everything. What I'm doing right now is installing Ubuntu via VMWARE. I have 2 hdd in my comp. My C-drive for OS+programs and D-drive for all files. I can install/uninstall as many OS as I want with VMWARE.

PartitionMagic allows you to create/delete partition on drive with existing files but I'm quite weary about it now. Last time I did that.... something got fubar while it was creating partition for you and then I ended up having to reformat everything.

yup second that, VMware is kinda advanced, but very powerful.
if you absoulately must wipe the Harddrive, say after a nasty virus attack or even that 'fubar' nag shit, use Dban, military grade disk format program, so good, some of it is ridiculoously over-the-top and takes a long time to ciomplete. Lesser refined options in there is still VERY good, it managed to wipe the nasty virus that a normal XP format route couldnt wipe.

Alternatively you could think about getting a another HD, and put it in the USB caddy box, thus make yourself a budget external drive, so good that you can take it out put another drive in it, and use the same caddy box , no need to spend stupid amount on the already packaged external USB hard drive, while you have the power to choose the size all the way up to terabyte or and a half, whatever (what's the largest out now I dunno, its always changing)

just my 2 cents
cheers

Back