I need help from all your brilliant minds and experience!

Thanks so much! I will go and check out St.Rita's & CCC!! I have an ABR scheduled for Feb. 1.. .I had to push for it, because they all just want to run the basic tests (which she has had several and "refferred" on all of them. After reading many things here, and studying (doing my homework) I was able to be more "pushy" and they are going to do it. I have found that even if she has a minimal or slight hearing loss, because she is a baby it effects here ability to "learn" speach.. She is picking up ASL so well!! Her eyes just light up, when we sign to her. She was in a little daycare "sunday school" today.. and the teacher came running into me in my class saying, "help... she keeps signing things to me, and I don't know what she means." She was signing cookie and cracker to them... How do you help all the others around learn ASL so they can communicate? This must be soooo frustrating! Even my immediate family don't know ASL... I want my family to be a part of her life... We have a lot to learn!!

As a deaf teacher for the deaf with special needs, I admire you for what you are doing for your child. What you are doing is beyond that what most parents would do. Keep up the great work you do! Your child will succeed because of you being such a loving and devoted mother. I wish we had more parents like you! Do keep us posted....

Thanks Beachie, your post meant a lot to me!! Today I had an ASL dvd going all day. I made sure I signed to her every chance I got... It was amazing... it was like a light switch turned on inside her.. she was "signing" to me like crazy.. I didn't hardly understand anything she was doing, but she was trying frantically.. When I put her to bed tonight, she layed in bed "babbling" with her hands... It was as if she has been starved for language!! Thank you all for your helpful comments!

It could be that she's very visual of her surroundings. To our eyes, it may seem that they hear us... but they can also rely on anything for visual alert such as reflections, shadows, facial expressions, body gestures, etc.

I have a friend whose parents didn't know she was deaf until she was 2 or 3 years old. They always thought she was hearing because she responded to a lot of sounds that they made. For instance...

Someone knocked on the door or opened the door, she would get up and run towards the door.

Someone called someone else's name, she would get up and run to that someone else.

Meal time was announced and she would run to the kitchen.

Turns out that she was relying on people's faces and body gestures for direction. When someone knocked or opened the door, someone else would turn their heads towards the door. She saw that and moved to the direction of where the person was looking towards. Same with calling someone's name. As for meal time, when that was called... everyone in the room would put their things down and that only happens when it's meal time.

There's also vibrations from sounds we make. Who knows?

I think using ASL would be beneficial. What if her mental capability is slower and it's affecting her speech skills? Would you rather wait for her speech skills to catch up or go ahead and take advantage of her physical skills... signing? That's why ASL could really help in communicating. She seems to respond quickly with signing.

VamPryox.. Thank you for your post! Wow! That really got me thinking. I had heard that they can feel vibrations etc... but I am trying to really watch for clues.. sometimes I feel like I am going crazy :) Tonight my other 3 children and I practiced ASL and it was SO much fun! They are just as excited to learn it as I am, and I am grateful for something to be "doing" right now instead of just waiting and watching. I will keep you all posted!

So great to hear your daughter and her siblings are learning ASL. She sounds cute!

If I were you, I would not worry if her first language happens to be ASL before she starts to speak.

Keep on being the pushy mom regarding medical tests and educational needs (if she should need one).

Good luck.

Just wanted to give you all an update. I went into the Univeristy's audiologist (they were amazing, signed to Jessica as soon as we got there!) She failed her O.A.E in her left ear, and had reduced sound in Right. We go in for her A.B.R. on Friday. Am I just a crazy mom to be so nervous? I think I have finally realized why I am nervous... I am okay with any outcome.. except the one I have been given over and over again, of Wait and watch... and we will see. I want the next step.. I know language is vital for children from the ages of birth to 3 and I just don't want to wait... and see. Question: Do any of you know much about Total Communication? Where you use A.S.L and speech?

TC isn't used much anymore. Bibi with keeping ASL and English as separate will give a better result in both languages.

TC isn't used much anymore. Bibi with keeping ASL and English as separate will give a better result in both languages.

Are you telling me that TC is no longer use nowadays? I find hard for me to believe that, but I think every individual makes their choices. Maybe, you could be right.

Thank you thank you thank you!! This site answered a ton of questions!

No problem. Hands and Voices is the best organization hands down for inquiring parents of deaf/hh children without letting politics get in the way.

I don't see any harm in continuing to use ASL and teaching your kids more ASL- even if there wasn't this situation, kids raised with a second language tend to do better in school, have an easier time learning a third language later, and many more benefits. You and your children could only benefit. Being bilingual is great, and it's MUCH easier to learn another language when you are young.
As someone who lost her hearing in her early twenties, I have often gone though the research on various surgeries, treatments, aids and the like. It's exhausting really. I decided just to embrace my new culture, language and 'self' and let everyone else deal with it if they see my hearing as an issue. That is just my perspective as an adult- but I think as a child I would have wanted to just 'be' also. Clearly, I can only speak for myself and I cannot tell you what you should do or what would be best for your daughter.
Wishing you the best.

I use SEE because my family is hearing. Many people have said that ASL is better. I think that it is too controversial about sign language issue for years. From what I see that some people use ASL and they still use some finger spellings because the spelling is not part of ASL. I think that ASL is good some way. Every child is really different depending in the town and the teachers. I would prefer for a kid to pick many choices that meet his/her own needs in the school/group environment.

webexplorer.. were did you learn SEE? Did you go to school to learn it, or did your parents teach it to you?

Back